A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polyhedron ornaments - with tute for anitacj =) - IMG Heavy  (Read 11915 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

85%confusion
I suffer from CADD: Crafting Attention Deficit Disorder.

With enough caffiene, I could rule the world.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 19, 2011 06:20:55 AM »

I wasn't sure if I should put these in paper-crafts or holidays and occasions, but decided upon paper-craft. While I'm using them as Christmas ornaments (I like to have a big basket of ornaments by the door, so when I have company during the holiday season, each guest can choose an ornament when they leave.), there are so many other uses... you could use them to make a mobile, photo globes to sit on a dresser, placing them over LED string lights, or put them in a shallow dish on the table as a centerpiece. I'm sure all you creative people could think of a million other ways to use them!

Alas, I have been making these for a few weeks... and last night when I went to Michael's (Or maybe it was when I was at JoAnne Fabrics...), there was that huge Martha Stewart display of holiday crafts... And she had KITS! =( I'm consoling myself with the fact that mine are each unique, and 100% hand-made, and I did the math, and... well. That's all I got. ~sigh~

My two favorite... <3 the little penguin!

To make, you will need: scrapbook paper (fyi... magazines don't work very well at all.), glue, a large paper punch if you have one (mine is 1 1/2") or a circle template you can trace and cut, string, scoring tool (a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted works just fine; I use a double ended stylus), and a piece of cardboard.

1. Cut 20 paper circles.

2. Use the cardboard to make a template of an equilateral triangle that will reach the very edges of your circles. If you're not up on geometry, the three sides should be the same length, and all three angles will be 60 degrees. For my 1 1/2" circle, the triangle sides are 1 1/4" long.

3. Score/make an indentation the triangle shape onto the backside of all 20 paper circles. I did one with pencil so you could easily see what we're doing.

4. Fold along each score line, gently pressing the printed side of your paper towards itself.

5. Arrange your paper circles in a way that is pleasing to you. There is no right or wrong here, but myself... I try not to clump colors or patterns together, and I try to arrange words or small pictures so they are right-side-up if possible. You will need 5 pieces for the top, 5 for the bottom, and 10 for the center section.

6. Start gluing! The 5 top and bottom sections will form a small dome - just glue all pieces with a common point. Before closing up the space between the first and last piece on the top dome, squirt some glue up near the top. Tie a loop of string (hanging length) and press the knot into the glue. Pull the loop out through the small hole near the points. Close up the side. Let dry.

7. The side pieces will need to alternate - 5 "pointing" up, and 5 "pointing" down. As you glue this section, I recommend gluing just 2-3 pieces at a time, and allowing to dry. It has a tendency to 'curl up' and if you have too many pieces that are still wet, they will slip out of place and dry crooked. Then you end up with a wonky ornament.

8. Once the top and sides are sufficiently dry, glue the top to the center section. Repeat with the bottom.

And that's it.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011 08:00:40 AM by 85%confusion - Reason: add tute » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

www.OneCraftyChickadee.etsy.com

Find me on facebook!

My flickr has swap spoilers!!! Partners, you have been warn
susanab
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011 08:12:43 AM »

Yea!
Who needs a kit when you've got the craftin' gene?
These are totally cheery--you can even have one side with writing that's important to you--could also be from a card or postcard.
Love 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
beatrixhall
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011 08:35:25 AM »

I love these!  Such a good use for leftover little pieces of paper that are too cute to throw away.  I might be stealing this for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
85%confusion
I suffer from CADD: Crafting Attention Deficit Disorder.

With enough caffiene, I could rule the world.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011 05:50:26 PM »

Thanks  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

www.OneCraftyChickadee.etsy.com

Find me on facebook!

My flickr has swap spoilers!!! Partners, you have been warn
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011 08:15:12 PM »

I love these ornaments.Could you post a tute please.Would really appreciate it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011 11:17:18 AM »

Thank you so much.Now I can make ornaments for our tree. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
dalektablewhovian
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012 03:19:50 PM »

I used tape or staples so you don't have to wait for tape to dry. Great use for christmas cards.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maloma
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012 08:24:55 PM »

If you line the outside edges with glue, then you can roll them in different colours of glitter.  They are quite pretty on the tree.
M <><
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tomato2011
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012 02:23:34 AM »

My mom used to make these, and she'd save the Christmas cards she got from previous years to use to make the circles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappingistherapy
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012 04:47:58 PM »

I have never tried to make these, but I should.  I have tons of paper!

Pam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jane Feather Talks About Writing
Tom Bromley Talks About the 1980s
Nora McFarland Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Vincent Flynn Talks About Extreme Measures
Meet Author Tristan Bancks
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...