A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starting selling from a friend's shop  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenumbrella
« on: October 18, 2011 11:58:42 AM »

Hello,

I feel sure this must have been asked before but wasn't sure what to search for.  Huh

A friend has a little atrsy-cratsy shop and wants to sell some of my things.

What do I need to discuss/decide with her first? Prices and what cut she takes, obviously. But I feel like there must be more.  Huh

Thankyou for reading x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011 05:01:01 PM »

If you want to keep a friend, make sure you keep business all business. Don't take any special "friend" deals, and don't give any, either because one of you may end up resenting it later and then you'll lose a friend. There are lots of ways to lose a friend by doing business with them

If she's a good business person, she'll have a standard deal or contract, so ask for it. If she doesn't, well, I personally wouldn't be all that eager to turn over my stuff to her. You have to know if this is sale or consignment; if it's a sale to her, then you have to reduce your price to her and the unsolds are her problem, and if consignment, what's her cut and how will inventory be rotated?

Just like a non-friend deal, you should check out your consignment inventory in her store on a regular basis to see how you're displayed, to make sure your merchandise is clean and not stuffed into a dusty box sitting on a shelf in the back room. Discuss damaged merchandise and make sure your return policy is in your contract. What happens if a customer breaks something, what happens if your friend damages something, and also if she's got insurance for fire or whatnot, and is your merchandise covered, and for how much?

Keep yourself up to date on her promotions so you can do your part to get people into her shop. When you sell stuff in a store, every warm body that steps inside is a potential sale for you, even if you have a "sale" deal instead of consignment. The more of your items she sells, the more she will buy from you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brokenumbrella
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011 12:31:09 PM »

There now, i knew there were things. Smiley That's brilliant, thankyou for taking the time to post Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hempjewelryworld
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011 11:01:57 PM »

So has your friend started selling your things yet? If so how is it going?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter M
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter P
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Q
How to Create a 3D Effect in Graffiti
How to Avoid Drips in Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...