A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Round-Robin ArtJournal Swap?  (Read 4308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasminewolverine
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Extrapolate that!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 16, 2011 08:50:37 PM »

I haven't seen a swap like this posted on here in my perusing, and I am not able to organize a swap myself (yet), but I thought I'd throw this out there for some feedback:

How about a Round Robin art/journal swap? Maybe make groups of 5-8 people... everyone starts with their own journal/sketchbook of 50+ pages and fills out the first 5-10 pages, then everyone sends their journal to the next person to fill out another 10 pages, then on around the circle until you get your own journal back with several different artists/craftster's work in it. It could be on a particular theme, or each person could start their journal with a different theme, or something of that sort to keep each journal cohesive?

It would cost a bit in shipping because participants would be shipping a book off every few weeks, and would need to be a loooooong swap (I'm thinking 2-3 weeks per person before shipping to the next?), but I would consider a journal like that a real treasure. Any thoughts or interest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap for stuff for my lonely, empty walls!
Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011 11:52:06 AM »

Sounds interesting. But I wouldn't want to do 10 pages, maybe 2 to 4 in each journal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Ninni Swap - Partners!
Fall Dotee Swap -Visit the gallery!
4 x 6 Art Swap - Coming soon.....
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011 02:16:21 PM »

I think it may be easier (and less postage $) if you swap the pages only and everyone assembles the book themselves (plus if something gets lost in the mail, it's 'only' a few pages, not the whole book).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasminewolverine

Extrapolate that!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011 12:28:32 AM »

I think it may be easier (and less postage $) if you swap the pages only and everyone assembles the book themselves (plus if something gets lost in the mail, it's 'only' a few pages, not the whole book).

That makes a whole lot of sense! Any thoughts on assembling the final conglomerate of pages? I don't know the first think about bookbinding, myself. But it really would save a ton on postage and lessen the likelihood of the tragedy of losing an entire book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011 05:09:19 AM »

I was in an art journal page swap a while ago and for that swap,  each partner said what size paper  (8x11 / A4 was the largest), horizontal or vertical, and how much of a plain margin edge they wanted. I put the pages I got in a photo album in plastic sheet protector
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011 03:09:24 PM »

I can organize (if you want) but not until Nov. 19th or so - I'll be traveling for the two weeks before that so I don't want to take on trying to check in everyday.

And we could also organize it like the ongoing ATC swaps.
Person A states their page size preference and themes.
Person B claims Person A and has two weeks to complete page and send.
Person C claims Person B and so on...

I'll add the links from the earlier art page swap:

Chunky Book Swap:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=381999.0
Ongoing ATC Swap:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=391760.0

(These are examples of the claiming process. Friends of Craftster generally get 3 claims, newbies, one claim at a time.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 07:23:28 PM by Smmarrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ninni Swap - Partners!
cabaute

Fickle Crafter Extraordinaire

A loving heart is the truest wisdom. -Dickens

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011 05:36:50 PM »

Hey, this sounds fun!  Reminds me of the 1000 Journals project.  The only thing with that is that I sent a bunch of blanks out (you send them out pages, they send them back) and never got anything back; this way there should be much less flakiness!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasminewolverine

Extrapolate that!

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011 11:32:39 PM »

I can organize (if you want) but not until Nov. 19th or so - I'll be traveling for the two weeks before that so I don't want to take on trying to check in everyday.

That sounds great, if you're up for it! It looks like a complicated process... but I am new to swapping, so it may be easy peezy Smiley. I've just signed up for a swap for which sendouts are scheduled the first week of December, but I could see if I can send early to get my feedback before this one, if it gets off the ground!

My only reservation on sending individual pages, is that what little journalling I have done includes pieces that are a few pages thick... for example, an image on one page with window cutouts showing the following page, or with tabs and pieces that pull out, and pop-up images. That's the only reason I would still pull for an already-bound journal or sketchbook as opposed to single pages to eventually be stored in plastic page protectors. However, I do think that it would get expensive and that it would be absolutely awful if one were to get lost.

I guess you could get around that by having 2-4 11x14 (or smaller, of course) sheets folded in half, like a pamphlet, to be bound into a larger book later? I'd be willing to learn some basic bookbinding skills for that. That way, you would have the multiple-page 'canvas' to work with, without the expense of an entire book.

I think I'm just thinking out loud Tongue

As an aside, what do y'all think about starting this in the New Year? It just occurred to me that a lot of people are gearing up for the holidays and might not be interested now because of that. I don't do much crafting for the holidays, so I'm game whenever, but I just thought it might garner more interest if signups started near the end of December.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011 11:36:51 PM by jasminewolverine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011 10:41:01 AM »

As an aside, what do y'all think about starting this in the New Year? It just occurred to me that a lot of people are gearing up for the holidays and might not be interested now because of that.

I'd be interested if it starts after the holidays. I always end up over committing myself in Nov/Dec and this year I'm going to be traveling, too.

I think I would prefer an actual bound book as a finished product instead of a binder or scrapbook with plastic sleeves. I'd be fine binding it myself. I just wonder if there's a good kit of some sort that would make it easy. hmmm. *Off to check the interwebs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011 11:06:42 AM »

I'm fine with sending pre-made books but it is a committment time-wise and money-wise so folks would really have to be prepared for that. I think it is easier to send individual pages - and I like the idea of folded pages/signatures. I think we can all learn bookbinding from Craftster or YouTube.

And we can wait until after the holidays - I can start sign-ups right after Dec. 25th and then launch the swap after the new year begins. It would be a gentle, slow swap to start the new year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ninni Swap - Partners!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Perfect Summer Tan ... No Sun Required
Beauty Product Must Haves for Summer
Beauty Dare: Gold Eyebrows
Must Have Beauty Essentials for Spring
5 Sneaky Reasons You Get Acne
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...