A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Family Dia De Los Muertos Altar (Picture Heavy)  (Read 587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

muyhippie
« on: November 04, 2011 12:39:02 PM »

I'm hoping this is the right section to post this - I did a search beforehand and I saw a few others posted in here so I figured this would be the correct choice...

...anyway, el dia de los muertos is something that I have been inspired by time and time again, mostly due to living so culturally close to Mexico.  This year, I wanted to go very large - in the past, I've built altars out of boxes, nooks, etc. - so I opted for a large display.

Anyway, just about everything I used was either crafted by me or thrift-store'd.  The cross in the middle was a simple wood-piece I picked up from Hobby Lobby, painted black, and glued religious bottle-cap pieces to it.  All of the lace was from the Dollar Store (the best buy of the entire project: a "Last Supper" lace table-cloth...killer!) and I used various other fabrics from around the house to adjust the length, depth of the entire piece.  Almost all of the frames I used have been altered in some way, like the one that I spent an hour just dotting with a tiny paint bottle to get the dotted-type effect I wanted.  It's very characteristic of Mexican art. 

I made sure all of the pets were included on the top shelf above the altar.

I had fun painting the skulls and tried varying up the colors to add interest.  I didn't get to finish all of the skeletons (i.e. the two at the very top) but I did paint up one of the ones sitting behind the shaver/towel stack.  I didn't get to really include everything I had originally planned to do - time and money got away from me (I'm an English graduate student - money isn't exactly flooding in at this point).  Like I wanted to include the traditional marigold flowers - sadly, I wasn't able to pick some up in time.  And I would've liked to have had a loaf of bread or some kind of additional food product - the candy is just kind of lacking.

I really had a lot of fun/enjoyment doing this - I would definitely encourage anyone to try this as it is a great memory-making experience for all involved.  And it's an amazing way to showcase the lives of people you love so dearly but have lost through the years.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NatyBaby
How To Wear A Blazer Like The Stars
New Jeans Change Color When Body Temperature Changes
Kate Middleton Goes Bold in Leopard Print
Spring Fashion With The WanderLust Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...