A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lolita Legs Fishnets  (Read 2939 times)
Tags for this thread: stockings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2010 08:17:00 PM »

I got paired with PinkMafia for the Be Awesome Swap.  She lives in Hawaii.  I'm a knitter.  This presents a few difficulties.  I'm lucky enough to also know Pink a little more personally, so I have a pretty good idea of her personality.  I thought, perhaps, she'd be able to use a pair of Knitty's Lolita Legs.  The pattern calls for Elann Esprit, which I had in my stash in grey and pink, but I also had some Cascade Fixation in black, and I chose to go that direction.  It's a cotton/elastic blend, which is great for a warmer climate and a good fit when you're a few thousand miles away from your recipient, but it's also a bit of a trick to work with until you get used to controlling the tension.

I also have never been fond of the lace-up aspect of the Lolita Legs pattern.  The stitch pattern gives the fabric a tendency to twist, and frankly, it is quite flattering on the leg. In order to get the lace-up seam in back,you have to untwist it.  (And also, I'm just really not a fan of the LOOK of the lacing with the net.  On a solid stocking, yes maybe.)  I read up on a few blogs via Ravelry, where they dispensed with the lacing, and made a plan on how to go about it myself.  I knitted the pattern basically as written except that I embraced the spiral, so that by the time I got to the heel shaping, the spiraling of the stitch pattern had given the entire work a quarter turn.  Instead of my original "start point" being the middle-back of the heel, I shifted everything one needle over to give the spiral room to twist on the foot.  This came into play later in the leg as well.  I knitted again as written until I reached the place where the leg is split and knit back and forth.  Again, the work had twisted, and I adjusted the "back" of the work accordingly, and increased two stitches on either side of my new "back seam" mark.  (The pattern calls for yo k2tog, or yo ssk, depending on the row.  On the increase row, immediately before and after the "back" mark, worked two yo k1 instead, effectively creating four new stitches fairly seamlessly within the structure of the pattern.  They're fairly hard to see if you aren't looking for them.)  Then I knit in the original stitch pattern around until they were as long as I wanted them, added three rows of k1 p1 rib, a row of k2tog, yo eyelet, another three rows of k1 p1 and bound off VERY loosely.  (Actually, for these I bound off with a crochet hook about twice the diameter of the size 4 needles I used to knit them.  Worked very well to keep a loose even bind off.)  I hope those mods make sense.  If you have any questions or need clarification, just ask. Cheesy

These are hard to photograph in progress because they don't look like much when they aren't stretched out, and I didn't want to WEAR them before the recipient did.  (I am weird about gifts like that.)  So I was so happy to get these finished pictures from Pink when she received her swap package!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
solsticecusp
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010 08:29:02 PM »

AWESOME - i didn't even know it was possible to handknit fishnet tights. wish I had the patience to be a knitter
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010 08:31:53 PM »

I'm a new knitter and could never dream of doing this yet but it makes me want to try.. eventually. You did such an awesome job on them. Maybe I could do it by Halloween next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010 08:38:07 PM »

Knitty lists these as "piquant" I think, but the hardest part about them is the tension.  I think the pattern itself is really very simple.  It is probably no more difficult than anything I was knitting within a month or two of learning how.  And my tension has been quite good from the beginning, really, because I knit the same as I crochet, and already had tension control pretty well down.  But with the elasticized yarn, the tension could be a problem for anyone who doesn't have really good tension control, a common problem with new (and newish) knitters.

However, if you are confident in your tension control, I can see no reason why you shouldn't give these a shot.  Worst case scenario, you have to scrap them and wait a bit longer.  The most technically complicated part is the figure-8 toe and the heel shaping, and that is not really so difficult, just a little bit fiddly.  You need to know yo, k2tog, ssk, and be unafraid of the DPNs, and that's really it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010 09:59:08 PM »

These are so sexy, and she totally rocks them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010 07:10:49 AM »

PinkMafia looks very sexy in these!  They suit her to a 'T'! Excellent work Lothruin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010 09:35:11 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xray kitten

Textiles, yarn, wool, metal, stuff...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010 01:35:30 PM »

So cool! Cheesy I have to try this one out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FurysSin
Hooker with Needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011 04:13:40 PM »

Oh, so the "skp" is slip slip knit? I feel like an idiot for thinking it was skip which is a crochet stitch
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011 05:13:57 PM by FurysSin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Timing Is Everything: Make the Most of Beauty Products
Deep Smokey Eye Makeup at the Nicole Miller FW 2014 Show
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Redbook Magazine’s Beauty Epiphanies
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into 1990s Madonna
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...