A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace-up Leg Warmer Spats Tutorial  (Read 3090 times)
Tags for this thread: spats , leg_warmers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 15, 2011 04:49:23 PM »

This here is a tutorial for leg warmers influenced by spats. I made these up for my partner in the Mini 13 Days of Halloween swap. Since I had to make 2 (as she has 2 feet) I snapped photos of what I did for the 1st one so I wouldnt forget when I got to the 2nd one. Since I had the pics, I figured why not make a photo tutorial?

So, on to business.

Youll need fabric, interfacing, eyelets (small grommets) and inserting supplies, ribbon/something for laces as well as the usual measuring tape, pins, etc.

First off, decide how tall you want your creation. Measure from where it will hit down to where the bottom will be. Then measure around your leg where the top will be. If youre going to adjust where theyll hit once theyre done (like if you want the top of your foot covered differently depending on if youre wearing heels or flats) take both measurements.

These directions use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Add seam allowances to the top and bottom of the height measurement  but SUBTRACT about 1/2 inch from the smallest width measurement and make a pattern piece. It will be a rectangle or square. Mark cut 4 on it and label it body. Dont worry, you wont be peeking out and your circulation wont be cut off. More on that in a sec.

Next, make another pattern piece that is the same height as the previous one but 2 inches wide. Mark it cut 4 and label it strip.

Compare your smallest width measurement with the largest. Subtract to find the difference. Make 1 more pattern piece that is about 2 shorter in height and double PLUS about 3 inches the difference in width. If you arent planning on adjusting the height make this piece about 6-7 inches wide. Mark cut 2 and label it flap. This piece is like the tongue on your shoe. It fills in the gap under the laces between the sides of the body so you wont peek out and your circulation wont be cut off.

Now pick out your fabric and chop out your pieces! I used a knit but wovens are better. Splatter painting the black fabric with silver is optional Smiley

Take your flap piece and fold it in half so you keep the height but halve the width. Sew up the edges but leave an opening in the height edge. Turn right-side out:

Take your strip pieces and interface. Then finish 1 height length side on each with a narrow hem, serge, or other finishing method. If youre using knit, you dont have to do this but I wanted the finished look:

Next, take your flap and pin it to the finished side of 1 of the strips so the flap is against the right (non-interfaced) side of the strip. Pin it about 1 inch from the top, so the bottom has more open space. Sew, making sure the opening in the flap gets closed:

Lay the flap+side piece to 1 of the body pieces (this will be the lining) so the interfacing is against the right side of the fabric. You will need to flip the flap away from the edge:

Lay the other strip to the other side of the body lining piece, also matching raw edges so the interfacing side is against the right side of the fabric. Lay the right side of the remaining body piece on top of the pieces and pin around edges:

Sew, leaving an opening to turn right side out after trimming corners. Slip-stitch opening closed.

Put in your eyelets! I spaced mine about 2 apart...

on both sides:

Now make the other one and lace em up! You can lace all the way from top to bottom or leave the bottom one free to cover more foot.

If youre very nervous they wont fit your swap partner you can leave the strings extra-long so she can wrap them around Smiley

Hope this can be of use to someone!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011 05:47:45 PM by Calabaza - Reason: clarification » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vixxie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 11:29:02 AM »

OMG! those are So AWESOME!!!! I have to make me some now!!!! I loved the pattern!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 05:46:29 PM »

Yay! I'm glad you could use this  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 1
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 2
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 3
Atomic Buffalo Turds Recipe
How to Buy a Grill and Grilled Branzino Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...