A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Believe In Pink - A Sofa Reupholstery Job (lots of pictures!)  (Read 1818 times)
Tags for this thread: sofa  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onceupon
« on: June 13, 2011 07:22:48 AM »

Seriously, when I'm all "Oooooh, that's a really neat piece of furniture; we could totally reupholster that," someone needs to remind me that reupholstering always takes, like, two to three times as long as I think it will. Yes, this is a lead-in to another furniture redo adventure. *grin*

Friday night, Ed (my husband) and I were driving around when we spotted this on the side of the road:

I just thought the shape was super interesting! We stopped and checked it out - I was surprised that it was solid as a rock, no wobble to that backpiece at all. Similarly, the foam was in excellent condition.

Now, it isn't that I have been scouting for a new sofa or anything. We have the circus coach we recovered a few years ago (and forgot to scotch guard so now I'm kind of out of love with it) and a Klippan loveseat from IKEA. But IKEA furniture being what it is... the loveseat isn't the most comfortable thing in the world because if you sit on the edge of the seat, the padding is very thin - all you feel is the wooden frame and that's not very comfy. Even so, I've just been whatever about it. It wasn't that I was in the market for a new sofa.

But when this one presented itself... It was 10pm, so we chucked it in the back of the Element and headed home. It got to air out overnight, outside - because I am always a little wary of soft furnishing we find on the curb. 

Saturday morning started early with errands like going to the Bargin Annex of the Sewing Studio in Maitland, FL! Which is where we found the hot pink canvas for $3.99 a yard. We bought more than we figured we'd need (there will be supplemental pillows) to finish off the bolt, and we still spent under $40 on the fabric.

We had some other errands to run so it was mid-afternoon before we got started on the actual couch. Which was okay - gave it more time to air out. I checked it for bugs - no evidence of anything. Ed found a cigarette burn on the existing cover - and there was definitely some residual cigarette smell. So I'm glad it aired out some more.

Getting the back and the bottom apart took over two hours because there were hidden lag screws:

Once we got it inside, the dog spent a lot of time not helping:

She didn't help at any stage of the game. And one of the cats decided he was going to not-help as well:

I don't really have any photos of the reupholstering process - mainly because stapling is a lot of work. My hand kind of aches from the staple gun. It was so worth it, though.

We got the tension wonky in a couple of places - and I had to sew channels for the upright posts of the back to slide down into. Measuring for that was tricksy. So there are definitely parts that aren't perfect. But I'm still really pleased with how it turned out. I've got some round pillow forms to make a few pillows for it but I love the back being all plain like that. It's padded, so it's comfortable to lean on as is.

There are a couple of places where I'll need to add some staple-hiding trim. *grin* I know exactly what I'm using for that, I just have to get it and then spend time attaching it. It's kind of the girliest frilliest sofa ever, and the trim will just reinforce that.

And this time, we scotch guarded that sucker IMMEDIATELY. Smiley

Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011 08:00:27 AM »

i LOVE that sofa. And where the back curves, that odd little corner behind is pretty much perfect for cats. Beaut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011 10:11:13 AM »

I can't believe you just FOUND that! it's so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011 10:39:02 AM »

Almost like dumpster diving, without having to get in a dirty dumpster. You have a good eye for class - I love this sofa too, and I'm not sure how noticeable the staples are, but I like it simple without trim - it looks so classic - I'm thinking Frank Sinatra, martini's and low lights- bliss. In fact, you probably need to move to Hollywood. And take the sofa! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
kcartwright856
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011 01:17:48 PM »

Wow! The shape of this couch you found in awesome! You did an excellent job reupholstering it, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillySlippers
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011 07:11:25 PM »

Awesome couch! Reminds  me of scenes from a 1950's movie set in a swanky nightclub with glamorous patrons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
onceupon
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011 07:39:04 AM »

Thanks so much for the comments, y'all! I kind of love reupholstering but, whew. Now that I've lived with it for a week, I'm even more blown away that someone would just toss this sexy beast of a sofa to the curb - it is major league comfortable.

i LOVE that sofa. And where the back curves, that odd little corner behind is pretty much perfect for cats. Beaut!

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it - and we have four cats. One of them seems to prefer perching along the back but I've already found another one curled up in that spot a time or two. It's like it was designed with that in mind. Cheesy

Y'all, the 50s vibe of this couch is so on - it kind of makes me crave martinis. It might be time to redo the rest of the living room...

Actually, about 80% of our house is decorated in curb finds - almost all of our furniture is stuff we picked up off the side of the road. I should do a photo tour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wickedheart
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011 10:18:22 PM »

That is such an awesome find and I love the hot pink color you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Nail Polish May Prevent Date Rape
18 Pimple Hacks You Need to Try
The Best Face Masks
NYX Curve Liner Review
How to Get an Emmys Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...