A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glow-in-the-dark hidden image  (Read 2804 times)
Tags for this thread: glow_in_the_dark , cross_stitch , thor , wall_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 15, 2011 05:36:56 AM »

A friend of mine asked for a custom piece from me with only two stipulations: that it be a wall-hanging piece and that it be Viking-themed. (Yes, we're those kinds of [super special AWESOME] people.)

Here's the result!

Take it in the dark, though, and you see this:]
(If you haven't seen this pattern before, it's Thor's hammer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir)

I used glow-in-the-dark embroidery floss to make this design on the fabric before I started on the text. It meant I had to be careful when I was stitching the black words/patterns around the glow-in-the-dark floss, but it surprisingly does not show up much at all on the finished piece until you're in the dark. The floss doesn't have the slightly greenish tinge that glow-in-the-dark paint has, so it fades away perfectly on the white fabric.

The quote is from an old book called Norse Stories, while the lettering is from a cross-stitch font book I got some years ago. In case you can't read it well in the image, the text is:

In a moment the sky began to darken with
rushing clouds, broad flashes of lightning
blazed across the heavens, and deafening
peals of thunder rolled crashing over the
terror-stricken earth. Striding from cloud
to cloud, swinging his terrible hammer in
an awful uproar of lightening and storm,
Thor came rushing on in all his godlike
might. The heavens were on fire, the
mountains shook on their foundations, and
the earth rocked to and fro as the god of
strength moved on to battle.
(If that isn't epic, I don't know what is!)

The pattern for the hammer and for the black border were ones I created after looking at a lot of pictures online of hammers and Celtic knots. While Celtic knots aren't exactly Norse (there is some overlap, especially once the Vikings started invading Ireland, but I digress), they do add decorative flair in a curved way. Other designs I had thought of that were more Norse were a little too linear and were distracting from the text.

If I had a do-over, I might have done the (lit) piece with something other than just black. I can't decide if the piece looks too boring in just one color. I also would have left a little more space between the text and the border, as it looks a little crowded to me now that it's all completed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011 02:58:58 PM by kittykill - Reason: show images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011 10:30:10 PM »

This is really cool! I had been thinking of putting glow-in-the-dark hidden designs in other mediums (like t-shirts), but that embroidery floss isn't as obvious sounds like a must-attempt factor! Thanks for sharing!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011 08:33:39 AM »

I think it looks great in the black and not too crowded at all.  The font and borders look very nice together.  Stitching the words over the glow in the dark design is a really a wonderful idea, I never would have thought of that!

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011 11:47:44 PM »

That's fantastic!  I wish I could check it out in person.  I love glow in the dark, and Norse things- excellent combination.  The border rocks too!

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011 11:28:42 AM »

Thank you for your comments and encouragement! It was a really fun project (I kept running in to the windowless bathroom to see the hammer glow in the dark).

I don't know how the floss would work on anything but stitch mediums, but I was inspired to post about this project because of a similar project I saw on Craftzine (http://whipup.net/2011/10/14/guest-blogger-series-hidden-message-glow-in-the-dark-embroidery/). I really like this, and I think you could do something similar with overlapping lines.

I have used the floss in one other project; I did an embroidery of the door to the Mines of Moria that glows in "moonlight." I'll have to post about that project next, as it also turned out really well!
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011 02:59:40 PM »

I love glow in the dark floss. You did such a great job.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011 11:17:30 PM »

I would never have thought of this, but what a great idea!

Current Swaps

~ Back to Hogwarts - Sent
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: Street Art
Off Book: Lego Art
Jim Power and the Mosaic Trail
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Party
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Needle Minder
The Legacy of Bob Ross

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...