A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hey Craftster! What are your top 5 crafting tools?  (Read 2130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LuluB
« on: June 14, 2005 07:50:20 AM »

i've been thinking about this a lot lately since i'm more than a little obsessed with new crafting gadgets and i'm moving soon (yet again, oy!) so i'm coming in contact with all my favorite things.

here's my list:
5. sulky solvy stabilizer.  okay, so it's not really a tool but it's awesome.  makes it easy to embroider on tshirts or terry cloth or any other hard to work fabric and then just washes away once the work is done.

4. sulky iron-on transfer pen.  makes any drawing or design into an embroidery pattern (or t shirt design).  it's the best transfer pen i've come across yet.

3. badge-a-minit 1 1/2" button maker.  it's the best but i need an industrial one.  i can only make 50 buttons before my hand gets all bruised but it's great for gifts and little projects.

2. print gocco table top silkscreener.  i bought this on a whim and it's been just the best.  i've used it to make cards for christmas, i've used it to make buttons for my improv groups, i've used it to make album art for my friend's new cd.  plus it's so tiny and self contained!  perfect for an apartment dweller!

1. my sticker maker (that also laminates and makes magnets!).  i know that this is primarily a scrapbooking tool (something i've just not gotten into) but it's great and super useful.  i've used it to mount embroidery, make cd labels, cover books, make cards. . . i love it, it's awesome.

well, that's me. . . what's your list look like?

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005 08:36:45 AM »

Here is my list.  I love my tools!

5)  I like these embossing trays that Stamp up sells.  I use them to contain my beads and glitter and powders.  They weren't cheap - but I like the hole that allows you to tip the tray and pour your items back in their containers

4) Painters tape.  I like to hang things up and look at them for awhile.  I also like to tape threads down, papers together, my speakers to the table...anything and it will come off easily

3) Small T- Square.  I do lots of paper crafts and like to have my creations even and level.  This little gal makes it fast.

2) Soft Graphite pencils.

1) Watercolor Brushes.  Great because they are so soft.  I use big and small to clean eraser shavings from projects or small pieces of medium so they don't leave pigment on my surface.  If they are wet they help move small items into place.  Just love em for painting too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fruithead
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005 10:21:08 AM »

this is tough...i'd have to say

1. this isn't really a tool but...my green plastic-y work board (does anyone know what i'm talking about) that i got from white rose ages ago and i use to protect all my work surfaces from decoupage, paint, varnish and...

2. my second tool...by beloved heavy duty x-acto knife

3. again, not a real tool but...rubber cement (even though my family thinks it stinks)...it's a necessity for paper crafts

4. my hot glue gun, a good 'ol classic

5. the decoupage kit my sister bought me that's got tiny scissors, tweezers and a thing to smooth out stuff you'd glued down...perfect for collages
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005 11:29:05 AM »

1. My sewing machine

2. My good sewing scissors (well. the only pair of scissors my mom hasn't broken)

3. the vaccuum, for those 'glitter accidents'

4.a bulletin board,  to help keep all of my patterns organized.

5. a magnetic wand, for picking up pins and needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
vexy5260
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005 12:07:57 PM »

My list is ever changing because I'm always getting into different crafts but right now my list would be -in no order- as follows.

1. My craft board...it is very beat up because it has probably been in my house for 20 years or so even though I'm only 13.

2. My seam ripper.

3. My freezer paper and my iron. (I use them together)

4. My paint in a bazillion colors...I don't really know what it is but its that kind you get at Wal*Mart for 44 cents so I have a billion colors because its cheaper than fabric paint and I can just mix it with ever trusty fabric medium.

5. My craft knifes! How else would I cut out my stencils? Some people do it with scissors but I have no idea how.

Okay Okay I know thats 7 but o well I love them all! ...and the million others I couldn't incorporate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangey
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005 12:42:42 PM »

Great topic!

My five top crafting tools:

1. Sewing machine

2. Seam ripper, which my husband swears I use more often than the sewing machine. funny man, huh? ha!

3. Nice big paper cutter that I use when scrapbooking, making greeting cards, and all kinds of paper crafts. I don't know how I lived without it!

4. Tomato shaped pin cushions. I have two, one I keep on the ironing board, one near the sewing machine. Vital!

5. Scissors. I have about six pairs of scissors, small ones, fabric ones, ones that are supposed to be just for paper (ha!) and pinking shears. I want MORE! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005 03:23:32 PM »

1. sewing maching
2. serger
3. glue gun
4. my good scissors (on my 4th pair.  Can't make kids understand you can't cut wire with my good sewing scissors!!!  I have "donated" those to the theater department now.)
5. x-acto knife
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
pathlesstraveled

Is it hot in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005 03:40:25 PM »

1. Sharpies (the best things ever!!).  I use the back ones to map out a design before painting/mosaic-ing/collaging/etc, and I love to decorate ATCs and envelopes with the colorful ones.

2.  exacto knife/scalpel and self healing mats of various sizes. 

3.  acid free glue stick/golden's soft gel medium/Sobo's or Elmer's glue.  Gotta have adhesives!!!

4.  Tulip's dimensional fabric paint.  I love how intense the color is and how I get great dimensionality in my painting/drawings!

5.  knitting/crochet needles.  Can't live without having some kind of project going (even though I haven't finished 95% of them !!!

Obviously, I am a schizophrenic crafter!  I do a little of everything, but these 5 tools are used in one way or another in 85% of my projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefloridagurl
Crafting keeps me sane.

Rockabilly with a Vintage twist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005 06:43:28 PM »

5. iron

4. sharpies

3. ruler and measuring tape

2. needles and pins and tooth picks (to smudge paint into each other for the bleeding effect)

1. scissors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005 07:38:59 PM »

1. needlenose pliers
2. E6000
3. x-acto knife
4. dremel
5.foam paint brushes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Create the Katniss Braid
Retro-Glam Hairstyle Tutorial
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial
How to Skip That Awkward Growing-Out Phase With Your Pixie
The Most Genius Fix for Frizzed-Out Locks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...