A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shower Curtain to Rainproof Tote w/Instructions (lots of pics)  (Read 1359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HolaKitty

The nectar of life

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2011 12:14:41 PM »

Hello everyone!

I don't think this idea is anything particularly groundbreaking but I thought I'd share it just in case anyone found it useful!  Smiley

It has been raining a lot this week and I was having a conversation with a colleague about how she loves using tote bags but all her stuff ends up soaking wet when it rains. So today I went to Poundland on my lunch hour (it's the British version of the Dollar store) and I was looking for some stuff to make some baby goodies, but instead I came across this really cute vinyl shower curtain!

I decided it would make a super cute, and most importantly rainproof, tote bag so I came home after work and got to work!

First I cut two pieces of the curtain - Mine were approximately 12 x 14 inches (I just eyeballed it) but any reasonable size should do.

Then I cut matching pieces from some cheap scrap fabric I had laying around; However, I cut this so that the length was about 4 inches longer than the vinyl (so 12 x 18 inches). I also made two straps using cut outs measuring 16 x 3 inches. I folded them in half and ironed, then opened the fold back up and folded each side in so the edges touched the middle, ironed again, then folded in half (on itself) and ironed again. Then sewed up the open edge to finish.

Now, you can probably skip this bit, but because I got a super cheap shower curtain from the pound store, it was very thin and seemed to stretch a lot and I was concerned that this would cause it to rip so I McGyvered it with some packing tape to reinforce it. When it was completely covered I just trimmed the excess. Do this to the wrong side of both pieces of vinyl.

Then place the two pieces of vinyl right sides together and sew around the sides and bottom, leaving the top open. Then turn inside out (so that the right side is now out).

Sew your lining fabric up in the same way. Now fold the top of your lining down approximately two inches and top stitch around the bottom of the fold.

Stick the lining inside of the vinyl bag and it should look like this

Fold the top of the lining down one more time, approximately another two inches, over the top of the vinyl bag.

Then place your handles where you want them to go and pin in place.

Take the lining out again and secure the handles in place.

Place the lining back in the bag. Adjust it to fit properly and smooth out the vinyl as much as you can. Pin the lining in place.

Top stitch around the top and the bottom of the lining roll to secure.

And voila... a super cute and rainproof tote bag Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Blog: http://kaylascraftstall.blogspot.com/
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KaylasCraftStall
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kaylatab/
bann88
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011 12:25:07 PM »

Awesome job! It looks fantastic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Clarachk
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011 12:42:34 PM »

I love it!!!! I drag my peace bag with me EVERYwhere and have been caught in the rain many a time. It is a drag to have to dump it out on the floor to dry out the bag, as well as all it's contents. This is SUPER! That print is fantastic and your new waterproof tote is most excellent! I think your idea rocks! Dollar shop shower curtain for the WIN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011 08:11:48 PM »

What a great find at Poundland!  Your bag turned out very, very cute.  Well done!  And thanks for the tutorial; I may have to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Trends: Sleek Ponytails
Brigitte Bardot Hair Tutorial
Bob Hair Trend At 2013 Emmys
Hair Loss In Women, A Growing Problem
Going Brunette: What to Know Before Embracing the Dark Side
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...