A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How the heck do I make a quilt with JUST squares?!  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laf1110
« on: October 13, 2011 03:18:18 PM »

I have never made a quilt before but was hoping to make a very simple quilt from my daughters baby receiving blankets.  I can't find anywhere that has instructions for a simple quilt of squares.  I really have no idea where to start because every site I find that says they are for begginers never is.  I am also concerned that the fabric of the blankets might not work for a quilt?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011 08:14:10 PM »

Three deep breaths.

First, try your local library, especially if you're a visual learner. There is, in fact, a quilting for dummies (god, I hate that term - nobody who wants to learn is a dummy), and that may provide a good starting point as far as terms, and basic techniques. Second, check out something called the "dead simple" quilt along. http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2011/08/interested-in-dead-simple-qal.html - instead of using different colours, you can use different baby blankets - it'll give you "just squares."

If the receiving blankets feel stretchy, go and get some lightweight fusible stabilizer and iron that to the back - it'll keep it from stretching while you work, and make the fabric more appropriate for quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laf1110
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011 04:15:41 AM »

gotcha.  I did find a tutorial for a rag quilt that seemed simple.  I found one using t-shirts and one using flannel fabric similar to the blankets I will be using.  You just sew all the layers together, one square at a time and then sew them together leaving flaps that you fringe cut later.  Not crazy about fringe in general, but I am almost positive I could accomplish it.  I have a rather cheap sewing machine (works decent and has survived my abuse though!) that I am hoping will make it over all the "bumps" with this method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011 09:44:02 AM »

if you don't like the idea of the fringe, then just sew the squares together to the size you want, then back & quilt.
As long as the fabrics are about the same weight, and if stretchy are stabilised as already said then there shouldn't be much problem.

look at some of the following for inspiration:

http://quilting.about.com/od/picturesofquilts/ig/All-About-Squares/My-First-Quilt.-9hq.htm
http://quilting.about.com/od/picturesofquilts/ig/All-About-Squares/Homestead-Instead-Quilt.htm
http://quilting.about.com/od/picturesofquilts/ig/All-About-Squares/Work-Day-Quilt.htm
http://quilting.about.com/od/picturesofquilts/ig/All-About-Squares/A-Touch-of-Sun-Quilt.htm

Don't forget that the majority of quilts are made up of just squares, rectangles and triangles, and a lot of the fun is in choosing the colours and prints to use and playing around to get them how we like them.

When choosing how big to make your squares, work out how big you want the finished quilt and how many squares you want in each row/column - then work out how big the squares should be cut - not forgetting the seam allowance Smiley

Go for it, and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyahern
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012 08:34:32 AM »

One of my favorite easy quilts is a modified nine-patch.  Sew together 9 squares (3x3) then slice it once down the middle from top to bottom, then left to right.  Then turn each square and you'll get a really nice random effect once they're all sewn back together.  Also called a disappearing nine-patch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012 09:35:02 AM »

You are planning to wear it out, right?  Then start sewing and playing and see what you get.  You'll amaze yourself, I promise.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview with Zosia Mamet at Her InStyle January 2014 Cover Shoot
How to Make Your Own Cool Boot Jewelry
Casual Night Out Outfit Tips
The Vintage Vision: Shoe 2014 Trends
Kendall Jenner Shows Off Calvin Klein Underwear in Instagram Photo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...