A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elder Futhark Yggdrasil Rune Set  (Read 7736 times)
Tags for this thread: runes , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 13, 2011 01:27:19 PM »

So now that my partner's received, it's safe for me to post this!  As part of the Back to Hogwarts swap, one of the requirements was to do a craft on your partner's favorite class.  Billiemarie listed Ancient Runes as her favorite, and I decided to go big or go home and make it my large!  I saw a similar runes set on her wist and went for it.

First, I found an ugly, unfinished wooden cigar box at Michael's.  I mostly liked it because the quality of wood wasn't bad, and because it had nice hinges.  That got sanded down about fifty times with varying qualities of sandpaper until it felt like velvet.

Then I went to Home Depot and got a few feet of flat, plain wood molding.  There were so many designs that were carved or rounded on one side that it was a little difficult!  I'm fairly certain it was pine, but not 100% sure.  I used a mitre box with a razor saw and made a little jig to chop up a whole bunchful of little pieces to the exact same size.  They ended up being an inch and change long and just under an inch wide.  It made a nice domino shape.  I cut out 26 pieces - 24 for the Elder Futhark runes, and then two extra blanks just in case billiemarie needed to replace some.

Each rune piece was sanded down on all of its sides to make it smooth, then I went through and sanded down the corners of them at a beveled angle so that 1) there weren't any sharp edges, 2) they would flip and fall better when she cast them.

After that, I had all of my wood prepped to woodburn!  I drew a birch tree onto the front of the box with a little banner that said "Yggdrasil," which is the name of the Nordic Tree of Life.  I woodburned those in - that took forever, but it was fun!  Then I drew out the runes on the individual rune pieces and burned those in, too.

At that point, I had a box and a bunch of pieces of wood with designs, but they were still raw, unfinished wood.  I went to Home Depot again and bought a can of combination polyurethane-stain in Classic Oak Satin 370 by Minwax Polyshades.  After painters-taping the inside edges of the box, I stained/poly'd that heartily for three coats, sanding with a steel wool ball in between coats.

Staining the rune pieces was a little more difficult.  What I ended up doing, on my father's brilliant suggestion, was pricking the top of each piece with a safety pin and using the pins to dangle them off of the poles of an old oven rack.  That way, I could paint all of the sides at the same time and hang them to dry safely.  I did a few coats on those, too.

Finally, done!  I am so, so proud of the final result, and I'm glad billiemarie seems to be enjoying them!

(The runes don't have quite as much color variation as the picture would imply.  There is some natural change in how the wood grain soaked up the stain, but mostly in the picture it's just awkward shadows making some of them look super dark.)

Happy to hear comments/criticism/anything!

To the mods: If this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know!  I didn't see wood crafting in any of the other boards.  The closest I could find was toys, and this really isn't a toy.  Smiley

ETA: Oh, wow!  Thanks so much for the Featured Project, guys!  That's incredibly flattering.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011 09:32:13 PM by sirael » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011 01:35:22 PM »

That is a fantastic box and runes - nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
csnicole
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011 03:21:16 PM »

This is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011 04:16:27 PM »

Thanks, guys!  That's really kind of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

litebrite1919

http://www.kellycaroline.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011 09:04:51 PM »

I seriously LOVE that tree &  mad props on the wood burning skills!

*wOOt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011 05:47:04 AM »

This is unbelievable!  Your woodburning skills are mind-blowing, and your attention to detail is fabulous.  I bet your partner was thrilled when she got this.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011 02:57:39 PM »

Wow, thanks so much!  I've never woodburned before, so this was a bit of an experiment!  Glad it turned out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011 06:35:01 AM »

Such a detailed tree! Wow! I love woodburning, but I never get such thin lines. Care to tell me your secret?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011 08:11:00 AM »

Such a detailed tree! Wow! I love woodburning, but I never get such thin lines. Care to tell me your secret?

Thanks!  Haha, I can try, but I don't know how much help I'll be.  This is my first real woodburning project, so I just kind of figured it out by trial and error.  For the thinnest lines, I held my woodburner at a much bigger angle, so it was more perpendicular to the wood.  That meant that only the smallest point on the tip was touching.  And then I moved it much more quickly, so it didn't have time to burn as much.  I could always go back and re-burn if it wasn't dark/wide enough, but I couldn't unburn if it was too dark/wide.  I don't know if that helps at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011 12:42:36 PM »

It is fantastic! I wish it was mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 DIY Facials From Courtney Bingham Sixx
The Brow of the Season
How to Pull Off a Nude Matte Lip
Beauty Test Lab: Caviar Nail Art
How to Get Creative With Your Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...