A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying yarn?  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heatherlori
« on: October 13, 2011 12:56:10 PM »

I've been crocheting for a while now, but I only buy a skein or two of yarn whenever I'm in the mood to crochet.
Well, I've decided to stock up on yarn, but I'd really prefer not to pay full price.
Does anyone have any tips on how to save money on yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susie in the sky
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011 12:15:01 AM »

I always buy yarn fro, the charity shop (I give it the sniff test first), usually it's 50p a ball, but recently I got 5 balls of chunky for 1.99, 7 balls of nice varigated black and purple yarn for 1.99 and 7 balls of expensive wool and acrylic mix for 25p each, so I think it's definately worth it!  Also ebay...if you search yarn/wool job lot or similar you can get loads of wool for cheap prices Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
HaKurama
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011 12:11:39 PM »

I don't find charity shops in my area have wool for a low price; sometimes they're more expensive than a store!

A good place to buy wool (sometimes) from is car boot sales, when they're on. Takes luck, though. Sometimes there is a ridiculous amount of wool, sometimes there isn't a ball to be found.   Undecided

Oh, and check to see if there's a market near where you are. There might be a stall or two that sells cheap wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011 06:32:30 PM »

There are a lot of wholesalers on Etsy and Ebay, if you've got the time to shop around.  Also, if you're into recycled crafts, you can make rag, t-shirt, or plastic yarn, or use all kinds of other materials.

One of my articles on the subject: Household Items You Can Use As Yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrickyElephant
The Crafty Elephant

The Crafty Elephant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011 03:36:25 PM »

I never buy yarn full price! lol I always wait until the brands I use go on sale, some times it takes a while but I am greatly rewarded. Becuase of this I tend to buy a lot at once, and when I randomly need just one or two skeins I bring a few 40% off coupons with me (The stores I shop at usually have one weekly) and make several transactions, or go on multiple days since I don't live too far from the stores I go to.

If you don't have chain craft stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Joann's you can always shop online. Though if you buy from the makers it's going to me more expensive, so I would stick with ebay or something like it. My only issue with ebay is most sellers sell several of ONE color in each listing, I have hardly ever seen a mix of colors that are brand new and not partially used.

Hope I helped you some <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mluke
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011 04:25:04 PM »

I just bought 6 skeins of yarn at michaels. Theres a sale on this week, I got the craftsmart value- 1.99 for a skein. Its medium worsted weight yarn. Red heart is on sale too for 2.49 but there isnt much of a difference besides colors. (they both give you the same amount of yarn [yrds])
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayashiangel
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011 08:58:57 PM »

I pick up yarn from thrift stores I can usually find Red Heart Brand there all the time usually 3 skeins in a bag for $1.99-$2.99 sometimes I find smaller size brands .99 cents a skein it just depends...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011 06:29:32 PM »

The chain stores typically run coupons every week.  I also check out mill ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sabinasan
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011 08:21:01 PM »

I just went to the Dollar Tree Store today where I found 2oz skeins of yarn for $1.00. I nabbed about 24 of them (even though I really don't need to add to my stash), but $24 for 24 skeins of yarn? Yes please! I also check out Ollie's if you have that near you. They sometimes have full skeins anywhere from $1.00-$3.00. I can't pass that up either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DefiantDoilies

crochet obsessed, hospice social worker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012 07:51:26 PM »

Another thing you can do is become a member of your local freecycle group and see if anyone has any yarn you can have. Often people will de-stash there. Also you can check out craigslist too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. - J.K. Rowling
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Long Stitch
How to Stitch an Eyelet
How to Make Hand Embroidery Patterns
How to Make a Blackwork Cross Stitch
How to Make Papier Mache Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...