A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mineral Bronzer with tutuorial (tute *modified* slightly)  (Read 3596 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laideebugz
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011 10:47:50 AM »

Great coverage!

I think mineral make-up covers well on my (acne & scared skin) but then I feel really greasy when it's on.... And my skin is not oil, actually it's dry.

any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011 11:08:57 AM »

laideebugz - what brand do you use? does your skin get more oily the whole time it's on or just at first, or later? My guess is that the minerals might be pulling oils out of your skin (especially if what you use contains kaolin, as many do) and that your skin isn't balanced so the oil production levels are off. This is a whole separate discussion which revolves around what products you use etc...I tend to take a holistic approach to skin care so it's hard to address just the oily-when-wearing-makeup-advice without exploring that but I'll try.

My first suggestion without knowing anything about your skin would be to try the method of blending the powder with a light non-comedogenic oil for application. It sounds counter-productive, but it really isn't. Your skin is sometimes easily confused and if it is overly dry, then you're adding something on top of it that stimulates oil production (the mineral powder) it might go into overdrive. So using a little oil with the powder will in effect stop your skin from overproducing oil. It will also double-duty as moisturizer, which if you have dry skin, will probably help balance it out overall... but I'll stop myself there  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011 12:37:34 PM »

I know what you mean. I have very red skin (still working on some other issues like lactose intolerance and really really not wanting to go dairy-free because I love cheese and sour cream etc... argh) and lots of acne (which has gotten better since I stopped using a lot of commercial products!) and I have to formulate my makeup for heavier coverage. More Ti20 and ZnO as those are the ingredients that give the makeup more opacity as opposed to translucence, Ti2O more than ZnO, but they're both valuable additions.

Just keep in mind this means you need to up your iron oxides as well or you'll end up with very light colored powder! And the great thing about ZnO is that it's actually also a great skin protector and anti-inflammatory (that's why it's in most baby butt creams) so while you're covering the redness, you're also taming it. I love this stuff!!

Or if you want to go for even heavier coverage, you can blend a little powder with your daily moisturizer or a light oil like grapeseed, which is a non-comedogenic oil, and apply it as a liquid foundation. Dust a little cornstarch over it to set and give the oil a minute to absorb, then another very light application of the mineral powder and your face looks like the before and after pictures in advertisements for Proactiv (which incidentally, did NOT work for me).

It sounds like it would feel cakey and heavy but it really doesn't. I've been dealing with trying to cover hideous red, inflamed, acne-scarred skin for over 14 years and even though it's getting better now I still have days where I have to go to all lengths to look normal. But I've gotten really good at it, so I hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! I actually got out of the cycle of wearing any base/powder and my skin is pretty clear now. It might just be getting older, and not sure if it was cause or effect lol! (don't need powder because my skin is better, or my skin is better because I'm not wearing powder...maybe a little of both)

Wow, the pics are amazing! You do a great job on your make-up and you look great!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 12:38:16 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011 12:52:48 PM »

Probably a little of both - I'm hoping that as I continue to improve my skin's health I can wear less and less. I tend to wear more overall (including eyeshadow, blush etc) when my skin is worse in what I'm sure is a psychological attempt to distract from what's underneath, which of course perpetuates the vicious cycle yet I feel prettier with less makeup on... but little by little it's getting better. It's encouraging to know that someone else has escaped the cycle though lol

And thank you! I've considered being a makeup artist, but don't really want to go back to school and I'm happy where I'm at professionally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011 12:59:46 PM »

This sounds awful, but as long as I'm pretty good about washing my face (at least once a day) and using a new pillowcase fairly frequently it stays clear. Sounds awful because I can tell when I'm slacking about the washing! I use Clinique facial bar soap in the shower (the only commercial bar soap I still use!) and a foamy or exfoliating cleanser at night if I feel dirty or oily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011 01:03:45 PM »

hmmm I could be better about my pillowcase ... and that makes A LOT of sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011 01:13:26 PM »

Yeah! You're literally rubbing your face and hair into it all night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012 07:10:41 PM »

Damn! Your formula IS full coverage! I think it looks great and the bronzer looks awesome. I don't use cornstarch since I find it cakes more than other fillers, but it sounds awesome.

Congrats for success in your formula! I found one I like for myself through practice, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012 08:48:00 AM »

Do you mind if I ask what your formula is? I am always interested in improving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Combat Thinning Hair
Hair With Hollie: Anne Hathaway Short Hair
How To Rock The Heidi Roll Style This Spring
How To Make A Beaded Wedding Hair Accessory
How to Get a Kiera Knightly-Inspired Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...