A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trying on Items at Craft Fairs  (Read 1359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lindsey goes to eleven
"I am that cordless screwdriver that has to charge for twenty hours to earn ten minutes use. I need that much downtime."

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 13, 2011 04:02:44 AM »

Hello!

I'm going to my first craft fair next month (w00t), and I'll be selling crocheted hats. I was wondering how other crafters handle customers who'd like to try on an item before purchase. For an item like hats, would it be prudent to create a "sample" hat that everyone can try on for size? Or would that come off as too OCD for most customers? What have you done in the past?

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011 04:03:14 AM by Lindsey goes to eleven » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsey
gumpsgirl

Don't Worry It's just Me....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011 07:34:23 AM »

Hello There.  I do not have any experience with selling items at craft fairs and am just getting started myself.  BUT, I do have a lot of experience at attending and buying from them Wink   This past weekend I went to a rather large one, and there were people with crocheted hats and shawls, etc.  They did not seem to have a problem with people trying them on, including my son whom wanted the crocheted crab hat.  I did not sense any stress or attitude from the sellers, but I myself was nervous as to whether he should be trying them on.  I wasn't sure what the proper etiquette was, and there were no other customers for me to learn from. 

In the end, we had to buy a different hat because the original choice (monkey) didn't look right when put on his head.  Hence the second choice of the crab.  So, being able to try them on allowed for me to not waste my money on the wrong product. 

I'm not sure that information helps.

--Jenny--
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naughty is Nice!
Lindsey goes to eleven
"I am that cordless screwdriver that has to charge for twenty hours to earn ten minutes use. I need that much downtime."

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011 08:28:23 AM »

Thanks, Jenny! That's actually VERY helpful. I guess I'll be bringing a mirror, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsey
gumpsgirl

Don't Worry It's just Me....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011 07:40:45 AM »

Hi Lindsey,

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to tell you that the mirror is a great idea.  A friend and I went to an Art Festival and we ended up separated.  Later she told me that she wanted to buy a pair of earrings, but the booth did not have a mirror and I was nowhere around to give my opinion.  LOL. 

So, moral of the story, don't forget the mirror!

Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naughty is Nice!
amarok
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011 11:16:53 AM »

yes, the mirror is quite important to remember Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
Lindsey goes to eleven

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011 04:41:49 PM »

Thanks again for your input. I did bring a mirror and allowed customers to try hats on. It was a VERY good idea! Though the mirror probably convinced a few costumers to pass (my hats weren't their style, I guess), several customers appreciated it.

Furthermore, just being able to say "You're welcome to try anything on" was a great conversation starter. And it saved me the awkwardness of telling people "No no, don't touch!"

Thanks again for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsey
TwistMySister
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012 07:23:12 PM »

I had a sign saying "feel free to TRY ON these items - leave your ID at the table". But what we ended up doing was setting up two tall racks in a V shape, covered with curtains, and at the top of the V draped a sheet over each end - that way customers could come to the back of our stall and try on then and there. It worked and made lots of sales. Others actually brought pop-up tall free standing single tents to go into at their stalls. You know the porta-loo looking type? Camping stores would have them.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...