On a different topic listing, someone asked about covering shoes. So I put this together for her.
These particular shoes are for the 1960's version of Robin (as in "Batman and..."). They have wings in the back of the shoe. So you'll need stiff fabric. My final fashion fabric was inexpensive Christmas velour.
First I made a mock up using a scrap of duck fabric. I lightly sprayed the back of the fabric along the straight edge with a spray adhesive. Let it dry a moment so that it will easily remove later when you need it to. I laid the straight edge along edge of the sole. Because of the curve, the straight edge will have to be trimmed to fit the sole. Lay the fabric over the vamp of the shoe and draw out the center front line. Do the same with the center back line as well.
Put the shoe on and draw out the final shape of the shoe: how high should the vamp go up your foot? Does it curve up in the back? At this point, just draw out the basic shoe shape. We'll add the wings later.
Peel off the pattern and trim it. Repeat the process with the other side of the shoe. Put the both on to make sure everything lines up pretty close.
Peel the patterns off and lay them on the fashion fabric. Add seam allowance to the top vamp, around the opening and in the center back. Then sketch out the wing in the back. Remember to have enough seam allowance there too. Trim the bottom up to the edge of the pattern. Cut out two lefts and two rights. Be careful if you have one-sided fabric to cut the two lefts (or rights) from both sides of the fabric.
The wings will need facing. Lay the piece out right side up on the wrong side of the fabric and cut out facing for each wing.
I reinforced the wings with interfacing, then stitched them - right sides together - to the main cover.
Then line up the center front and center back seams and stitch those. Fit the cover on to the shoe and make fitting adjustments as necessary. Turn down the seam allowance in the shoe opening and tack down.
Finally glue the cover along the edge of the sole using your favorite glue. Spray adhesive is a pain but it gives a nice smooth finish in the end. My wings needed a little tacking at the heel to make the stay up. Suede, like on the originals, would probably give a better stiffness. Have fun!