A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mineral makeup with tutorial  (Read 3580 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tr3kkie9rl
« on: October 12, 2011 09:54:46 AM »

If you read my other post you will have an idea of where to find mineral makeup supplies for cheap. And now I finally have some pictures of the completed product with a tutorial!

First the pics:

I apologize that it doesn't really do them justice, you can't see the true shade or the slight shimmer or any of that.

So without further ado, here is the tutorial!!

Items you will need:
measuring spoons - 1/16th teaspoon up to 1 tablespoon
mortar and pestle (preferably something smooth with little to no texture so the powders don't stick to it)
3-4 small bowls
one clean makeup brush (optional)
coffee grinder (optional)
containers to put the makeup in when you're done!

"ingredients" you will need:
     *please note these are the ingredients I use and there are many other wonderful things you can put in your mineral makeup if you do some research.
1 tbs kaolin/white clay
1 tsp silica
1 tsp Gold Bond medicated powder - I know it sounds strange, but all the ingredients are totally safe. This is only if you are acne prone however, if not you can skip it. (see my other post for more details on the acne-fighting ingredients) That said, I would suggest patch-testing this one alone on your skin first to make sure it's not irritating to you.
1 tbs cornstarch *this is a new addition and I like it a lot!
1 tbs titanium dioxide
1 tbs zinc oxide
iron oxides - yellow, red, and brown (quantities will vary)
1/16 tsp Jacquard Pearl-Ex Powdered Pigment in Sparkle Gold (optional, for shimmer) - this is a mica just like what you would get from TBK Trading or Brambleberry etc. It is not recommended by the company for use on people, but theatre people use it and from all the research I can find it is identical in form and structure. It's available in most art stores.

Yields: about 6 tbs of makeup, enough for 3 standard sized mineral makeup containers.

Directions:
1. First start by combining the non-pigment items (kaolin, silica, cornstarch and Gold Bond) in one small bowl.
2. Next, put the pigments (all remaining items except Pearl-Ex) into a separate bowl. "But I don't know how much iron oxides to use!?!" you are probably thinking at this moment... and to be honest I can't tell you exactly, it's a sort of trial and error thing. I can tell you that for my medium-skin-toned-latina friend, I use 1/4 tsp of yellow and 1/8 tsp each of red and brown, and for myself II'm a redheaded irish girl with fair/freckled skin) I use maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of that amount and add more as needed. I'm hoping to get some cc spoons so I can more precisely determine this!
3. Next, mix the pigments gently with a small spoon or knife until they look somewhat combined, and then put them into the mortar with about 1/4 of the non-pigment items. With the pestle, grind the colors together as thoroughly as possible. This is the tedious time-consuming part, as in my experience the pigments tend to stick to the sides of the mortar and you have to constantly scrape them off and re-mix. Some people put the pigments in baggies and "crush" them all together that way, I can't say how well that works as I haven't personally tried it.
4. Once you are sure that the pigments are well mixed, set them aside.
5. Into the coffee grinder put the the contents of first bowl, add the Pearl-Ex, and then the pigments. (Be sure that if you do use this you find one that will keep the powder inside the canister and not let it migrate down to the motor as I've heard that can cause an otherwise perfectly functioning machine to fail after only a few uses). Pulse all the ingredients together a few times until they appear fully mixed. It doesn't take much, and you're going to do a little more mixing after this as well.
6. Empty the contents of the coffee grinder back into the mortar, and gently mix/grind them again. You don't want to be too forceful at this phase, as the mica/pearl-ex is fragile and easily crushed which detracts from it's shimmery properties.

*Note: this particular combination starts out very "fluffy" and light, so be careful while using the mortar and pestle that it doesn't fly out and all over the room. Waste not want not! This last step of grinding also seems to help condense it into a more manageable, less airy powder.

7. I've found that using a clean makeup brush helps when pigments and/or the completed powder stick to the insides of the mortar, it's totally optional.

VOILA you're finished! Test a small bit with your kabuki brush or whatever you use, and if it's not the right shade, add pigments a teeny tiny bit at a time. If too dark, add more TiO2 and/or ZnO. Adding only TiO2 will bring out a more pink tone, while adding only ZnO will simply lighten it. If it's not dark enough, add the other colors as needed. I recommend testing it in natural sunlight to make sure that you don't get overzealous with the color modifications.

One last note - I've found that mixing a little of the powder with some grapeseed oil (or olive oil, or argan oil, or coconut oil if that's more your thing; olive felt too heavy for me except in the winter when I'm super dry, coconut was nice and light-feeling but made me break out - grapeseed is just right!) makes a great "liquid" foundation, or blemish cover. Just be very very sparing when you do this, a little goes a long way... and that is a serious understatement.

I hope I covered everything, I look forward to any question or comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011 12:53:54 PM »

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011 12:02:30 PM »

sorry that I'm tech-retarded, for reference here is my post about where/how to get mineral makeup supplies super cheap :-)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=379910.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011 08:49:27 PM »

Very cool, will have to try it sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011 06:48:08 AM »

I found a link to a site with a mineral makeup making kit, looks ok. I know the compact I bought with 8.9g was $30 so $40 for 58g of finished product sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Complete-Kits/Pure-Natural-Makeup-Kit-p204.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TechnicolorAquahearts

Proud Slytherin in the HP Summer Craftalong!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011 09:14:42 PM »

I have been meaning to try this for a long time! Thanks for the tutorial and the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: www.lynnaquaheart.etsy.com
Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011 06:57:05 AM »

I found a link to a site with a mineral makeup making kit, looks ok. I know the compact I bought with 8.9g was $30 so $40 for 58g of finished product sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Complete-Kits/Pure-Natural-Makeup-Kit-p204.html

Funny, I'm thinking "that's super expensive, I have a total of about 10 lbs of supplies and it cost me under $20"... but it's also not premixed, and I am making it for my friends and coworkers too so I'll probably go through it a lot quicker than if I were only using it for myself. If my supply stash was only just for me, I'd literally never have to buy any more!!  Grin and there was the expense of the mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, dedicated measuring spoons, plus containers to store each ingredient in, so altogether it probably cost me close to $40... but I've definitely recouped my cost lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011 07:23:19 AM »

I know, I've been thinking about making a lot of my own things but having to buy in bulk and use it all up, in the end I'm not sure it's worth it for everything. Stuff goes bad too over time so unless I'm planning to make product to sell... I'm interested in products with the fewest ingredients possible, with no preservatives, stuff that actually does a JOB instead of just being nice to use, you know? Sigh. I wear very little make up, mostly I'm focused on dealing with skin issues.
This site is amazing, they're blending things very close to how I would and they do sell raw ingredients. I'm torn... I may have to try a few things and if I find faves see about making my own.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html
Check out the raw ingredients section, lots and lots of natural powdered stuff, amazing selection. There's a discussion forum too, great info there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011 09:09:49 AM »

The great thing about my supplier (it's a ceramic/pottery store actually) is that I could buy smaller quantities if I wanted to, if I bought say an oz of everything instead of a lb my total cost would have been about $2... so that's something you might want to look into. The one other main ingredient I use is cornstarch which I just get at the grocery store. I love the feel, it makes it super soft!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011 07:29:06 PM »

sorry that I'm tech-retarded, for reference here is my post about where/how to get mineral makeup supplies super cheap :-)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=379910.0

great job..just a heads up though..

http://therword.org/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing 1990s Hair Will Give You A Heaping Helping Of Nostalgia
How to Do a Waterfall Braid
How to Fake a Thick Bun Hairstyle
How to Shampoo Your Hair Correctly
Jennifer Aniston Wants Supermodel Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...