A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric shops in sydney  (Read 32949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sha
« on: June 14, 2005 12:14:26 AM »

Considering there's a thread on Melbourne fabric shops, I think there should also be one for Sydney.
Also, I need to know because I'll be going there in a couple of weeks time =)
So any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewcialDistortion
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005 08:54:44 PM »

Fantasy Fabrics in Surry Hills is supposed to be good - although I haven't been there.

When I go, I almost always have to drop in to Home Yardage just outside the QVB in the city and Lincraft in one of those malls off Pitt Street.  None of them are very satisfying but sadly I can still find stuff to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NettieP
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005 08:55:25 PM »

Most "Spotlight" stores I find the best for fabrics...the one at Birkenhead Point is probably one of the better "Spotlight" stores in Sydney.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sha
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005 05:58:49 AM »

Thanks guys!

I've actually heard a bit about the fabric shops down in Cabramatta...along Park rd & John st? Has anyone been down there?

Also, a shop called Tessuti in Chatswood or Bondi Junction.
What do you guys think of these places?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005 09:05:26 PM »

I've not been to Homeyardage for years, will have to take a look next time I'm in the city.  I do buy most of my fabrics from Spotlight, I work there so it's a logical place to do so. 

I went to Cabramatta last year while searching for cheap fabric for a bulk sewing project.  It's well worth the visit but do keep an eye out for men on bicycles who think that pedestrian crossings are for them to speed across in front of you after you had checked there was no one crossing.   The only thing I don't like about the type of fabric shops there is that they stand rolls so thickly that you can't get to or properly see the fabrics.  Nor are they suitable places for people with prams, if you are one - take someone to mind the pram outside.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nabi Wasabi
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005 01:13:45 AM »

If you live in or near Sydney:

Ive been to Fabric Fantasy in Surry Hills ONCE.  My experience is that when you get there you have to sort of fight over swatch books, wait in line to get fabric cut for you and then go to a place downstairs FULL of cool notions and haberdashery but they all come in HUGE BULK amounts... try it, but i think its a bit overwhelming.

Home Yardage near the QVB on York St.  is great if you like finding really cheap fabric and you are not looking for anything specific.  Some of it is pretty hideous but if youve got a Craftster brain, things pop up.  Plus they have a small remnants section.  Oh yeah, sometimes thier selection sucks, like on craft felt and polyester stuffing (better to go to Lincraft) but then they have really cheap zippers and notions plus a wider selection of laces, seam binding and other stuff that Lincraft for some reason lacks of. 

Lincraft in one of the arcades in Pitt St. Mall that is pretty good for yarn, fleece... stretch corduroy (droool..) and other good things.  Plus a huge craft section.  Lincraft and Home Yardage are like two halves... you might have to go to both just to get what you need.

I havent checked out Tessuti or Spotlight yet.  Im dying to check out Spotlight but I'm new to Sydney and kind of scared of the mass of trains.   

But if anyone has a day and a few dollars to burn I would do the Home Yardage/Lincraft thing in one go.  Its fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hanabi
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005 05:56:18 PM »

Have a look at the Sydney thread - a while ago there was a discussion about where everyone shops for fabric and other craft supplies it started at about the page 2 mark.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3820.10

I'm not in Sydney anymore but the main places I shopped at were Lincraft, Spotlight, Home Yardage and the occassional worthwhile trip to Cabramatta.

Nabi Wabisabi it would be totally worth your while to jump on a bus and head to Spotlight at Brikenhead Point...lots of othe routlet shops there too. The Spotlight is a mess but it has lots to offer!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
emmaline
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005 11:20:29 PM »

there is a pretty good fabric shop in hurstville called my hung
its much more reasonable than lincraft is and even better if you catch their 20% off sale
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's stick to regular Monopoly. The game is crazy enough as it is; how can an iron be a landlord?

http://www.agirlcallede.blogspot.com
grapefruiit
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005 11:51:32 PM »

SPOTLIGHT is tha best.......... they have EVERYTHING and tis heaps cheaper than lincraft.. plus they have more fabrics.. hmm.. you should check the spotlight store for a store near you.. i usually go to the one in castle hill.. sometimes merrylands.. and abt the cabra stores.. i wouldnt know.. im a bit scared of going to cabramatta on my own so i havent tried them yet.....  and birkenhead point is definitely goOd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SaraM
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005 10:46:47 PM »

Spotlight at Birkenhead is pretty good good for most types of fabrics, although I find they don't have much original 'one of a kind' fabrics. Tessuti's is good for the better quality italian wools and more dressmakers stuff.... Lincraft closed half their Sydney stores recently so I never go there anymore...

good luck Smiley

PS Nabi wasabi... don't be afraid, hop on a bus to Drummoyne, its worth it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Must Try Shampoos For Your Hair Type
Summer-Ize Your Hair Routine with Mix-and-Match Products
Tips For Lighter Summer Hair
How to Keep Curly Hair Healthy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...