A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Life Size Old World Santa figure  (Read 4536 times)
Tags for this thread: santa  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011 11:25:30 PM »

My all time favorite project is also my most ambitious. I spent more than 2 yrs in the thinking process before I ever did anything tangible but, after going thru some trying times, I think the results are well worth it.

It began when I saw an Old World Father Christmas figure my friend had on display in her living room. (Picture open mouthed awe when i first saw him.) I immediately wanted one---forget that thing about coveting. I WANTED ONE! Did I mention that he's 6' tall?

Aside from not knowing where to find one, there was the price tag---her's was originally about $3,000 but greatly reduced on clearance. I've since found a few in stores (Chicago, Tennessee, Virginia, Alaska) but the cheapest was $2,500. Still too much to justify a framework draped in a muslin sheet that was dipped in a fabric stiffener & then spray painted---fabric mache'.

After much mental trial & error, with my husband's help, I finally realized my dream. He helped design & build the wooden frame. My figure is unique in that, unlike the others I've seen, it can be dismantled without tools & stored in 2 large plastic containers. ..except for his walking staff.

After making the first, I got so caught up in them that I've since made several using rich looking upholstery fabrics for the robes. His face is purchased papier' mache & he has a real Santa beard. I also make most of the accessories. Teddy bears, balls, stick horses, flower decorations, etc.

After the Santa figures reached fruition, I hit on the idea of using just the face with his beard & hat as a wall decoration & from there, I've also made just the decorated hats that can be worn or displayed during the Holidays.

He's definitely my favorite creation but I'm not certain if it's "because of" or "in spite of" the difficulties I had with him.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011 08:38:16 PM by Jenxx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
faemystique
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011 05:14:00 AM »

I am speechless!!!!! Amazing!!!! And now I want one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkpinkycat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011 05:42:40 AM »

I am truly AMAZED!!! Shocked I don't think words can do justice to how awesome your Santas are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011 07:46:58 AM »

Ack!I love them.That's the same idea I wanted to try to make last year .But I couldn't figure out how. Roll Eyes.I will definently hit this rocks.But may I ask how did you make the wooden frame?And could you add a tute pretty please?thank you  Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Kiwi_Jo
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011 01:00:01 AM »

These are gorgeous and have inspired me to try and create a smaller version
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neeterg
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011 10:24:57 PM »

I am totally amazed!  You are one very talented craftster and have created a masterpiece.  I've seen something similar but certainly not as nice as your Santas!  You Rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoatsAndSews
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011 06:34:15 AM »

Holy Santa Claus! That is AWESOME! I am in love! What a great way to do something that truly makes you happy, but you need to sell those for extra Christmas money!!! Or you know, to buy a new car with cash, or pay off your mortgage, whatever....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds are rarely tidy"- unknown
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011 07:43:27 PM »

Thanks to you all.  I'm happy that my creations are so well received.  I'm really quite proud of them & high praise like yours is very gratifying.

BoatsandSews,  I've done some art & craft shows & have sold a number of them during the past several years but the present economy doesn't provide much of a market for them.

Couple that with the fact that I'm a totally right brain person & I'm absolutely lost in the business world.  I've often thought I need an entrepreneur to handle that side of it because I don't really make things to sell---as an art/craft person, I sell them so I can make more.  I suppose it's a good thing I'm retired & have no mortgage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoatsAndSews
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011 11:24:40 AM »

Haha, that IS good. I like how you put it "I sell them so I can make more." I started making wood cut outs and quilts for myself, and when word got out I was the "go to" craft person for stuff like that...it just kind of took off. Facebook is basically my advertising venue. I just applied for a tax ID number, but I agree...LOST. lol. Hopefully it will be as easy as it seems to be tax wise, but we'll see. When is anything simple with taxes?!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds are rarely tidy"- unknown
Aries32
Randomly Doodling My Life Away...

Knicker Twisted Foolette

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011 11:19:13 AM »

Holy crap! I would love one of those Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do personal swaps! PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Messy Ponytail
How to Look Younger
How to Look Older
How to Curl Black Hair
How to Curl Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...