A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diaper Bag  (Read 3792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smoon26
« on: June 13, 2005 09:15:21 PM »

Okay, I'm doing this before I go to bed, and its late, so this will be quick.  This is a long overdue bag for a friend that requested it.  She picked out the dot fabric out of my over abundant stash, and I added the striped fabric.  She gave me carte blanch to do what I wanted.  So, it has 3 pockets on the front...one big one closed with a button, and then the pocket on front of that is stitched down the center to make two (can still see the chalk mark down the middle...darn, forgot that).  Then, on the inside, there is another big pocket, with two smaller sized pockets (the fabric on one of them looks lighter in the pic, but they are the same).  I wanted to put some bottle pockets in there, but I decided not to cause I never used the bottle pockets in my bags.  Plus I was tired of this one.  The back is just plain, and so is the other side of the lining.  Its tied with the fabric that lines the pockets.  i had extra, so I put that tab in as a last minute thing to hold any clippy toys or keys if she gets a clip thing.  Just because I had extra strap cause I made the ties too long.  The handles have webbing inside, so they are a little thicker than they look.

I usually sew the bottom of the lining by hand, but I didn't like the fraying on this lining, so I did it by machine.  Didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would, so I didn't cover it.

And now, just cause I think she's so cute, heres my daughter with the bag...looking at it, and modeling it.  She loves purses...such a girly girl!!  I love her!!  She had already thrown her hat off in frustration of waiting for me.  We were taking pics really quick before taking her brother to school. 

I almost don't want to post, cause I really fought with the sewing on this one for some reason (thick stabalizer probably).  My friend LOVED it, but I really wasn't happy with it.  As a result though, my husband said he'd match whatever I could save for a new sewing maching that can tear through these things easier.  So, what ever I can save we'll double and get the machine I want.  What a guy. 

I really want comments on this one from people who know to look for messes.  Honest opinions is what I want!!  heh.  So, What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 02:39:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005 09:22:27 PM »

i love that. so adorable.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005 09:26:45 PM »

awww. its so "hip" and "sassy" and great! and you have the most precious child in the history of children. i bet she'd look so cute INSIDE the bag, peering out. oooh man, just thinking about it makes my uterus ache for babies.
anyways, i've been trying to make a diaper bag too. i love the little tab, and how its multipocketed... i didn't think to layer pockets on one another. but yeah, GREAT job. i hope mine turns out as nice as yours Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 09:28:24 PM »

I really see nothing "wrong" with it.  I think it's adorable and so is your daughter!  Who needs bottle pockets?  I like to carry my "bottles" inside my shirt 24 hours a day!  I love your bag and the stripes and dots together!  I always wanted to make one for myself but now that my son is potty trained, I think it may be too late.

;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsyTyme
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005 01:25:04 AM »

Oh this is such a great bag.  Like the previous poster, I too hadn't thought of layering pockets! Shocked

Again, like the previous poster, I carry my bottles in my shirt 24 hours a day as well Wink, but might like to try it with the additional pockets for sippy cups and my water bottle.  I have a toddler and a babe on the way - gotta keep us all hydrated!

If you do start getting these out easier and are more comfortable, I'd (we'd) love to see a tute!

You did great with the fabrics and your friend was just in being thrilled, it is an AWESOME bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005 01:34:42 AM »

This is FANTASTIC! I had a baby 6 months ago & got all excited when I thought I had found the perfect bag. I spent a small fortune on it & guess what? I like yours more! Your little girl is darling too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smoon26
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005 05:49:19 AM »

You guys are so sweet...and it makes me feel a lot better about this bag.  I guess that since I fought with the sewing machine so much (broke/bent 3 needles on the topstitching) that I soured to it.  Thanks so much for such positive comments!!

thevaticant..Thanks--to get her in the bag?  hehe...don't think she'd go for it.  Maybe if I made one look like a basket...heh...she'd go for that in a second. 

Whimst Tyme  and thevaticant...
The motivation for the pockets was to get more fabric on...I liked the dot fabric a lot, but I saw it more for the lining at first.  My friend picked it though, so I did the stripe fabric to break it up a little, but then since she liked the dots so much, put some back on.  Then I liked how the fabrics looked together, so I did a different version inside.  all a process, I guess.   Wink

ragamufyn you could always make more of a "tote"y diaper bag...you've still got toys drinks and snacks to carry around!  Maybe we should make bags and give them a different name, since we don't carry diapers anymore...mmm...how about "everything on gods green earth that my son wants to take with him" bag?  I always carried more after my kids were older than when they were babies!  heh. 

Whimsy Tyme...If I make another bag like this one, I will take pics along the way to make a tute.  For now...the bag is basically a "Jordy" bottom.  I just put the pockets on before sewing it together.  I doubled the peltex on one side (the side with the inside pocket)  though, using a double sided adhesive peltex so that the lining would "stick".  Then used a dense cardboard that is used for displaying handwork to put into the bottom to help it hold up.  IF you have any other questions, feel free to ask!!  I'd love to answer!

poppysmum..That was such a nice thing to say...and I think she's adorable too, but I'm a bit biased!

Pink Kittie and everyone else...Thanks again.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andreamarie
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005 06:15:47 AM »

One of my very good friends is having a baby girl in September and has been talking about having me make her a diaper bag.  It seems overwhelming with the elastic bottle pockets... but I love how you didn't use them and your bag still looks very functional!  I also haven't seen any fabrics that I think she'd like.  Your fabric is beautiful!  Do you remember where you bought it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

http://andreamarie.etsy.com
smoon26
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005 07:44:22 AM »

I think that both fabrics came from Joanns in the home dec fabric.  I got the dot fabric a long time ago though, probably in the winter.  The stripe fabric I got a couple months ago. 

Thanks a lot!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005 07:53:42 AM »

Oh goody!  I might try by your directions, but definitely will if you do a tute.

As for the sippy and water bottle pocket, I am wondering if I would do a true elastic gathered pocket or a gusset pocket with some elastic at the sides on the top for give.  As a novice sewer, I can see what I want, but don't have the skills to make it Undecided

Oh, and we still do cloth diapers - my son is under two and the babe will be here in the next 2 to 4 weeks!  So, I'll have my share of dipes along with "everything on gods green earth that my son wants to take with him" and that "mommy feels we might need too"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tulle Skirt
Top 5 Holiday Designer Dresses You Can Rent
Save Vs. Spend: Holiday Edition
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...