A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help finding a car seat cover pattern!  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber.hope
« on: October 09, 2011 06:59:43 PM »

So I have been scouring the internet for a few months now for a pattern for a universal toddler car seat cover such as the ones above. I've found them for sale all over the place but I would rather make them myself. It looks simple enough but I just can't quite dissect how to make it. So if you know of any free tutorials or patterns out there could you please leave a link or if you think you may have an idea of how its made please help me out. Thank you so much all my craftster friends!!

P.S.
   I know about all the dangers of adding anything extra to a child's car seat so I really don't want yet another lecture about it, I just need help with a pattern. Sorry if that came off rude at all, thank you!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011 03:17:23 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011 07:34:48 PM »

I dont have a pattern but I did have a sheepskin cover for mine.
I think if you measure the length and width, wrapping right over and under, add a seam allowance, of maybe 1 cm.
This will give you a basic rectangle shape, then round the edges. Sew elastic around the edge so it looks like a fitted sheet.
Where the top straps came through, my cover had a slit, with a piece of velcro in the middle, which made threading the straps through a breeze.
The other two holes just look like circles with elasticated edges.
Hope that helps even a little,
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011 10:28:00 PM »

You could always buy one and return it after you make a pattern from it... Just sayin'!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011 12:34:30 AM »

Do you have a cheap/old sheet or something that you could use to make a pattern?

Push it into the car seat and pin or tack it until it is the right rough shape then take it off, even it up and refit it (if it doesn't fit then repeat til it does), mark spaces for the holes, the take it off, cut the holes and try it again, adjusting as required. When you get the right shape, take a marker to it, mark around the edges and both sides of the seams.
Then you have your shape, transfer it to paper, cut where convenient for seams then add a seam allowance and you have your pattern. It will be specific to your car seat, not universal, but it will do for the one you make it for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
le-y
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011 07:45:03 AM »

i need to do this too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011 10:01:43 AM »

Seems to me like there is no actual shape to it.

They just measured the hight and the width of the seat (measured it with a tape measure holded against the seat, following the curves), added an extra 5 or 6 inches all around, made seams, pulled elastic through the seams, so it would stay put around the seat.
Before adding the elastic, they measured where the straps had to go through the cover and made holes for that in the button hole technique.

Now, I know you don't want to talk safety, but if I were to make a pattern for such a seat, I would make it fitted. I would make different parts and sew them together to exactly match the surface shape of the seat. For two reasons:
- It would look better.
- When the child was unstrapped it would not slide out of its seat.
I would at least back up the cover fabric with a sort of non-sliding rubbery lining.
I would also use a non-smooth non-stretchy fabric for the top, like corduroy for instance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber.hope
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011 11:05:38 AM »

Thank you all so much for the advice! The reason I want to make universal covers is I have 3 toddlers who all have different brand toddler car seats. It would be easier for me to make all 3 from one pattern so therefor I need a universal pattern. I'm starting to get an idea of how I can do it, but please do keep the ideas comin! I can't believe there isn't a tutorial out there for something like this. When I do start putting these together I think I'm going to make one for everyone else out there who wants to make one Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monetgardening
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011 05:19:37 PM »

Use an old cover to make a new one, use the old one as the pattern. Hope this helps. Worse comes to worse you could always borrow one to use as a template for your pattern. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012 06:06:27 AM »

Here is the experience I have had...I found this tutorial for a custom carseat liner. 

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/02/recovering-baby-car-seat.html

I did it about a month ago and it turned out pretty great.  It's what I would recommend doing even though you're looking for a universal one.  In my opinion, there isn't such a thing because they never actually fit the way they should.  It's for an infant carrier carseat, but really...what she did transfers to any type of carseat.  Mine was a different liner. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop - Creating Star Wars Crawl P.1
Photoshop - Turning a Photo into a Cartoon P.2
After Effects:Creating an Explosion Behind Someone
Photoshop - Turning a Photo into a Cartoon P.1
After Effects Tutorial - Making a Space Explosion
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...