A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yard Art Pricing Suggestions  (Read 1533 times)
Tags for this thread: wood , paint , holiday , pumpkin , snowman , halloween , yard , christmas , decoration , winter , fall  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoatsAndSews
« on: October 09, 2011 06:17:58 PM »

So, it's that time of year again, and I'm in full swing getting prepared for a craft show and holiday presents! I free-hand, my husband cuts, and I hand paint them. I have only sold a handful of these, and this year I already have 16 pre-orders APART from the craft show projects and 2 quilts I have to make! Whew, I'll be a busy, busy girl. My question to all of you lovely, talented crafters is: How much should I charge for these?! I am currently charging $12 a foot (at the heighest OR widest) and $14/ft for more complicated ones. Sometimes I feel like I'm over-charging, but most of the time I feel like I'm under-charing. Sigh. Decisions.  Huh

(I originally had 4 branches on his left arm, but my husband made a cutting booboo. So now it looks like Mr. Snowman is flipping the bird. I'm thinking of taking one of his branches off to fix this! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011 06:28:52 PM by BoatsAndSews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds are rarely tidy"- unknown
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011 06:28:42 PM »

So cute, and I say keep the hubby cutting booboo! It adds to the cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLadyLiz
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011 12:29:50 PM »

These are great and would wonderful in a winter yard.  I take it you are charging about $16 for the top one and $12 for the bottom one.  Depending on your material costs, I would think  charging between $16 and $24 you would be reasonable.  I generally calculate between 500 and 600% of my material costs for retail, to account for the administrative costs and my time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizanne handcrafted treasures
www.elizanne.ca
BoatsAndSews
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011 06:15:59 PM »

Thanks for the compliments! And CraftyLiz, thank you for the advice! The bottom one is 18" so it would be about $18. The top one is actually much bigger than it looks, over 2ft, so I was going to charge $28. The 500-600% is such a good calculation. These take at least 4 hours a piece. I try to have an assembly line of sorts, so while one is drying I can work on another, but paint only dries so fast!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011 04:23:08 PM »

OK, had to get out my yardstick for this one. 2 feet is a lot of statue! I'd say 40 bucks worth at least. That's more like $1.60 per inch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoatsAndSews
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011 12:27:46 PM »

Thanks so much! Sounds much better to me than $1 or $1.16 per inch. (Since I'm not charging for the lesser length or width!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011 04:12:14 AM »

I do a lot of shows with exhibitors who do what you are doing. Painted wood cutouts.

You will have others at the shows who do this also, and with the economy being what it is today, I would keep your prices right where they are. Because that's what I see work like yours going for at the shows I do. 

The items you have in the photos have a very short sales window, so you want to sell them, not take them home until next year.

Customers aren't spending their money this year, so value is the name of the game. When things pick up you can raise your prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
BoatsAndSews
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011 07:55:24 PM »

Good thinking! I never want to "sticker shock" people. As long as I'm making some kind of profit for the Holidays, I'm happy. This is my hobby, my way to get centered in the middle of all the chaos, so making any kind of money (and knowing people love what they get!) is pretty much worth it to me.

I'm also doing fabric crafts, too. Wreath, burp clothes, etc.  Also, I'm from South East Texas and we haven't been hit too hard (YET, crossing fingers we won't), so I'm hoping we'll have a good turn out. I've already got the 16 pre-order cut outs and two quilts to work on, if not! lol.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Panko Salmon Recipe
How to Make Lacha Paratha
How to Make an Easter Roast Spiced Chicken with Indian Style Gravy
How to Fry Soft Tofu Without Breaking Up
How to Make Spaghetti and Beans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...