A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: D-Ring Belts of Kimono Fabric  (Read 5131 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ikissedmadonna
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005 02:01:25 PM »

I love those. As a matter of fact, a few nights ago I made a D-Ring belt with chinese take out box-fortune-chopstick fabric, and another weird type of buckle with silky kimono fabric that I got at jo-anns. Anyways, I reallllly like the orange flower one...and the red one. Pshww...ILOVETHEMAL L.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005 05:01:13 PM »

soulofgrace40 - Oh absolutely - go for it!  It is a lot of fun making these :]

Kimidawn24 - Thank you!  I just cut strips of fabric 2 inches wide and the length of each strip varied - depending on if I was going to do a patchwork style belt or not.  I sewed all the small strips of fabric together to form one long strip - ironed interfacing onto it - and onto the solid colour fabric and then just sewed the two pieces together and turned it the right way.  To finish - I just top stitched along both lengths - and then just sewed the D rings in.  Quite easy.

kmsmaverick - Oh please!  Don't feel inadequate!  I think I am just lucky that I have such fantastic fabric to work with - it makes a huge difference on the outcome and feel of the project.  I currently get most of my fabric shipped over from Japan through a friend - either in small pieces, already reclaimed from kimono, full and partial bolts of deadstock kimono fabric (normally 36cm wide and 11 metres long) or actual kimono that I take apart.  Sometimes, the best fabric I find are the little pieces that have been sewn inside the kimono and the lining for renforcement of certain areas.  I love those particular small pieces because they tend to be really old (although, in fantastic condition despite their age) and if they are being used in small pieces in an already vintage kimono - I wonder what they used to be!  You are also spot on with your impression.  I try to use every single last scrap of fabric down to the last 0.25 inch piece.  I'm a fanatic!

BioChickie - Hm, I'd like to say that I have some secret method for keeping the fabric straight - but I don't.  I normally try to be as accurate as I can when I cut the fabric out - but when I sew - I normally don't use pins for straight edges - I just line the fabric up and sew like there is no tomorrow.  I think I just have good hand-eye coordination. (that is probably why I beat my husband in video games! ha!)

ikissedmadonna - *glee* Thank you!  I bet your D-Ring belts looked awesome!  Especially the Chinese take-out one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
Avian Flight
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005 07:21:39 PM »

that's gorrrrgous! You should make a tutorial for us slow people. =D include all the details. I wish i had some great fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
kimbarley
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005 05:06:54 PM »

i love those belts A LOT! where do you get D-rings anyways? do i have to go to a craft store or do they have them in other places?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karmapolice
Culture Vulture

1000 feet per second.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005 09:28:37 PM »

I was going to ask that same question ... the Michael's I go to only has 1" D rings and they're not very big ...

By the way, I absolutely love your belts.  They look so professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our hell is a good life.
cbass

You can bet your balls it's Neil Diamond!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005 07:02:03 AM »

very nice, I looooooove the red one.
can you get those D-rings at any fabric store??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theoffkeybandit
Space Cadet

smile on mighty jesus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005 12:02:49 PM »

wow, those are amazing! they look so perfect. I think I might be trying this in the future...pray for me.  Tongue once again, those are AWESOME BELTS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

put that DOWNIHIGGUM!
theoffkeybandit
Space Cadet

smile on mighty jesus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005 01:34:06 PM »

oh, hey, now that I've thought about it.....
did you put anything inbetween the two pieces of fabric to make them....sturdier? I was gonna use the silk from some ties that my dad donated to me, but the belt would turn out so thin and creepy if I just used that. Maybe I should just glue that stuff I found INSIDE the tie to the pieces......?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

put that DOWNIHIGGUM!
stargirl

whatever it takes...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005 02:53:32 PM »

very pretty! you always have such great fabrics.

i saw in your profile that you live in south fl, me too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CynthiaButterfly

Love is being stupid together

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005 07:29:39 PM »

Those are beautiful... soo Gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare a Canvas for Oil Painting
How to Mix Oil Paint Colors
How to Use a Palette Knife to Apply Oil Paint
How to Paint on Paper with Oils
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...