A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions on Photo Background?  (Read 1816 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2011 08:06:21 AM »

I take photos of my jewelry with a homemade light box.  Since I cater to a more upscale, art-appreciating customer, I work really hard to make my photos look professional and clean. 

Previously, I used a soft white paper with a subtle texture as my backdrop.  I like the clean feel of a white backdrop, but it was really hard to edit.  With so many obvious shadows, I had a hard time lightening the photo enough without making the whole thing look over-exposed. So now I'm experimenting with more forgiving backgrounds.  Here's the first experiment.  The paper is the same type as the white, with the same subtle texture, but in taupe instead of white. 

Keep in mind that the necklace is mostly the same, but I did switch out the orange beads in the necklace.  Still, hopefully these two photos will give you a good head-to-head comparison.

Which background do you like better, and why? Thanks in advance for your opinions!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mckaboolaurox
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011 01:29:18 PM »

Oh that's a beautiful necklace Cheesy Personally I really like the white background, I feel it really brightens the whole picture and seems much more modern and sleek and for me makes the jewelry really pop. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then Buffy Staked Edward...The End...
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011 03:24:59 PM »

I really like the taupe! My first impression is that it's more romantic and "artsy." I think it might look even better if the paper were softly backlit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deepteroni
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011 03:57:56 PM »

I like the second one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickticktick
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011 11:04:22 AM »

Oh that's a beautiful necklace Cheesy Personally I really like the white background, I feel it really brightens the whole picture and seems much more modern and sleek and for me makes the jewelry really pop. 

i second this (also on the prettiness of the necklace :--)). the white feels more professional and luminous. the taupe backdrop gives me a first impression of a shadily lit backside of a wardrobe, which obviously isn't the look you are after. though i guess that the fact that the orange is more orange on the pic on white impacts on this too..

though you only asked for opinions on the background, i'd say you might want to give the top edge just a bit more empty space above the dummy's neck. it'll make the pictures look more balanced. the same as on its left and right'll do. the need for space is more pronounced on the darker background, the white one isn't way too tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaeleira

Multicrafter Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011 03:42:54 AM »

I agree, I feel that this beautiful necklace looks best with the white background! The white reflects more light through the beads, and the eye is drawn to the necklace rather than the background. I feel your pain about editing shadows though. I think changing your lighting, rather than the paper, would have the best effect on shadows.  Diffusing it or adding a backlight might help to soften them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011 04:14:26 PM »

Yup, white's a pain, but it looks better. The brown just makes it look like an old thing sitting around in the basement. Whatever lighting or lack of on the piece itself making it more vibrant...combine that and the white and you'll have a winner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011 08:49:52 AM »

I am definitely agreeing with everyone that has said to stay white.   While I do like the brown with this necklace, I have a lot of pieces that are more delicate looking and use much lighter colors, and I think the brown would overpower them.  I guess I just need to play with my lighting some more and make the white work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLadyLiz
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011 08:52:38 AM »

Wow, I gotta go against the grain.  I prefer the taupe. 

The colours are richer, the stones have more depth, and the focal beaded element glows.  I guess you have to decide which is better based on which one represents the true colours. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizanne handcrafted treasures
www.elizanne.ca
craftyorange
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011 08:48:09 PM »

Wow, I gotta go against the grain.  I prefer the taupe. 

The colours are richer, the stones have more depth, and the focal beaded element glows.  I guess you have to decide which is better based on which one represents the true colours. 

I totally agree with this. When I saw the white, I felt that it was too bright. I love the contrast with the taupe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Shining Orb - Pixelmator
How to Create a False HDR Image - Photoshop
How to Use Smart Filters - Photoshop
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 1/2
How to Make It Snow - Adobe After Effects Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...