A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainy day bicycle streamers project!  (Read 1422 times)
Tags for this thread: bicycle , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

berol
« on: October 09, 2011 06:02:28 AM »

Tada!

Well for my birthday I got a bicycle. It is red and shiny. I haven't had a bicycle since I was a kid and I love Murray the Moulton.

However, it needed streamers. I can't be riding along like a child without streamers. Turns out streamers are expensive (more expensive than I thought anyway) and also none matched my bike. So I made my own! This will work on old and children's bicycles, might not work on a regular grown-up bike you need a hole in the handlebars.

Anyway...I did a tutorial in case anyone else would like some ribbon streamers!

Heres all the things I used. Although not the glue. Glue was not the answer in this case, it makes the ribbon go funny and left my hands a sticky mess. What you will need are ribbons (8 x 1m (40) lengths or 4 x 2m (80) lengths, any ribbon will work!) , hi-tac double sided tape (you could use glue etc), 2 paintbrushes, scissors. Optional extras are a scalpel (or use scissors), a lighter (or candles or a bit of PVA glue), pony beads.

The paintbrush kit was 27p (less than 50c), youll need two for this. For those in the UK it is Wilkinsons value paint palette.

First things first, cut all the bristles off. I used a scalpel, but to make this a more kid-friendly project, scissors will work fine.

Next cut the ribbon into m legths (20) in two equal piles, one for each streamer. If your ribbons are different widths, I suggest leaving the widest for last and starting with the narrowest. I had two wide red ribbons for each streamer, so I used one first and one last.

Using the hi-tac permanent double sided, I put the tape on the ribbon for the first few (the tape is clear, its just the backing that is red).

Slowly build up covering joins with the next ribbon.

With two wider ribbons to go, I started taping around and then sticking the ribbons on, just to make sure the first few ribbons were really tightly stuck.

Finished off with some ribbon wrapped around (hiding the messy edges!) Although I would not recommend the silver ribbon, it wasnt as neat as I hoped.

Wait! Im not done. The other ends of the ribbons will fray in no time if left, so now they just need a trim to even them up, and seal to prevent fraying. My preferred method is to get a lighter and melt the ends (couldnt take a picture due to not having enough hands) just hold the ribbon NEAR the flame and it should melt slightly, then just pinch to seal and done! However, if you want to do this as a kids project, dipping the ends in a little PVA glue and letting dry works well too, or fold over with some of the double sided tape. Alternatively thread and bead and knot the end. I thread some pony beads onto the ribbons, this is optional but I couldnt resist the glitter and glow in the dark beads.
Finished ends:

Now just thread into the handle

Done!

[Mods, pretty sure this is miscellaneous, feel free to move it if you think it is better suited elsewhere!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
Knotmad
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011 11:41:41 AM »

Great tut.

*You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011 07:19:48 PM »

I don't even have a bike but I think I need some streamers! Maybe they would look good on my car Tongue.

Thanks for the fun idea! Your bike looks AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
berol
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011 02:02:32 PM »

Great tut.

*You rock!

Thanks Smiley I've never done a tut before but I really enjoyed it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
berol
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011 02:59:04 PM »

I don't even have a bike but I think I need some streamers! Maybe they would look good on my car Tongue.

Thanks for the fun idea! Your bike looks AWESOME!

You can totally rock car streamers, just attach to the windmirrors! Awesome. I'm tempted to attach streamers to more stuff. Although nothing is like riding with streamers in the wind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*waves*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial - Remove Color
Photoshop Tools and Menus Tutorial
Free Backgrounds and Royalty Free Images
How to Use Clip Notes in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Move Mountains with Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...