A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I got me some free stuff! Now what to do with it?  (Read 761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 07, 2011 08:52:20 PM »

Hey you guys, we had a Fiber Guild meeting this past Monday and wow, we have some amazing people here. Z, the lady who has been in charge of the guild for years, was given some some bags of stuff that she brought for us. I got  a bunch of stuff! Let's see some of it:
2 pair of hand cards. This first pair is really nice, but a bit small for my liking. Also, I think it's for a coarser wool than I usually card.

The second pair is a bit bigger, but curved and while the pads are stapled on them pretty good they seem a little loose like the glue that underneath let go or something. They still work fine. I was going to ask for some tricks on how to clean out the old wool but I got most of it. MOSTLY. If there are any tricks to be shared, though, please do.

Then there was a bunch of very beginner yarn in there. VERY beginner. At one point I found a spot where I guess they didn't know how to join so they just tied the roving together. EEK!

That black/white/brown stuff in the second picture is less than what it was when I got it because I un-spun 2 "hanks" worth, re-spun it thinner, though still thick and thin out of necessity, and plied them together. Got 2 over-full bobbins from it. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I will post pictures next Friday in the FF thread.
Oh, I also got a swift! Yay! Umbrella swift! And some more balls of roving. Nice, I just sent some out in a de-stash attempt and them got more than I sent that same day that I went to the PO. Bah.

So here's the question: what to do with it all? Not all of the yarn is that bad but most of it is. And I really don't want to keep doing the un-spin, re-spin thing on it. While the product was nicer than I thought it would be, it gets repetitive. Should I just finish out the brown/white/black? And what about those hand cards? Maybe I should give some to the weaver-lady who is learning to spin and is hopefully going to be taking over the guild before too long...
Thoughts? Thanks you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
.:dollface:.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011 06:58:36 PM »

I have a pair of the Ashford hand cards (second pic) and they are great! I couldn't see you need 2 pairs of carders, so I'm sure someone would appreciate you re-gifting them. 
As for the spun yarn, you could always dye it (kool-aid is readily available and you can get some great colors) and then ply it with a thread to make it stronger and more to your liking.  As for using it in projects, after plying it, it would make it stronger and then you could use it for knitting/croceting/weaving/etc.
Hopefully that gives you some ideas Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 05:38:52 PM »

the crazy beginner yarn could be turned into something art like.  Grab something else and start playing!   Or send it to me, and I'll play with it Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011 09:54:51 PM »

Or me!  I love knitting and crocheting with beginner yarns.

Really, plying with something else will make very beautiful yarns to work with.

For cleaning out the carders, using just the 'toe' of the top carder, bring it across the bottom carder from 'heel' to 'toe'.  Repeat.  The old wool will come up on the 'toe' of the top carder and you can take off. 

The handle end is considered the 'heel' and the other end the 'toe'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paul Malmont Talks About Jack London in Paradise
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Read from Big Fun!
Joseph Maroon Explains the Term Xenohormesis
The Five Greatest Warriors Book Trailer
Adrienne Kane Talks About Cooking and Screaming
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...