A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! DIY WINE PURSE??  (Read 6805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marcyoreilly
« on: October 06, 2011 04:59:28 PM »

So I NEED to make this purse for a friend of mine.  She LOVES wine, and can never figure out how to get it to the beach (it's legal so long as it's not in glass).  BUT I stumbled upon this and I have no idea how to go about it.  Does anyone have any ideas?? I've never made a purse before either, so the simpler the pattern the better. 

http://www.amazon.com/Menu-4655539-Baggy-Winecoat-Black/dp/B000U81WZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317944804&sr=8-1

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011 12:42:06 AM »

I can't imagine how to make one from scratch, but if you have wine boxes where you live, you could make an elegant bag to keep one in and have the tap external through a hole, similar to that bag.

I'd take the largest wine box you can find, trace around the box to get the pattern, add a cm or 2 for ease and then make the top of the bag however you wish. Oh, I'd recommend quite wide handles, wineboxes are heavy to start with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011 04:34:44 PM »

I just can't see a handmade something-or-other doing anything but flopping around once you get to the "pour" stage unless it was made out of something really tough. So my first question is: can your sewing machine handle "tough"? I know my previous one couldn't. Not all machines are equal.

If I was going to make one I would need to buy a box of wine, take the bag with the spout out and fiddle with it to see what kind of bag it would require. My first instinct would be to make a rounded rectangle for the bottom, then just measure the circumference, cut the body to that measurement plus a little more for a seam, pin the body to the bottom, make a twin for the lining, sew the tops together with the strap(s). For the hole, I can't even describe how to do it in less than several paragraphs. Maybe someone else would take a shot. An alternative to a circle for the spout would be to make a large buttonhole. You'd have to make one on the body and the lining in the same spot, and you could sew them together once the bag is finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012 04:00:29 AM »

Eh, honestly, I can't imagine this being useful for anything other than cask wine.  And even then, I'd suggest having something really strong in between the layers of the fabric on the bottom, like a piece of perspex (or several pieces of thinner plastic), to keep it stable as the bag deflates.  (but I'm snobbish about cask wine, so take that with a huge grain of salt)

If booze is legal as long as it isn't in glass, then is it also legal in plastic or cans?  I know there are a number of wineries around here (Victoria, AUS) that make canned chardonnay and sparklings and the like, and the other day I saw sauv blanc in vac-sealed plastic wine glasses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012 11:50:04 AM »

What about buying somethinglike this and making a cover/carrying case for it?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-H2O-1.25-Gal-Slimline-Beverage-Dispenser-Blue/15915152
Or just use fabric to cover it, maybe using hot glue or spray adhesive and make it a no sew project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMantra
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012 04:05:39 AM »

I'm curious about how much sewing you are looking to do. Somewhat like what member AshtonagoL mentioned about the bottle and then wrapping it, that could be a way to go. But, if you want to be able to wash it out, maybe have it wrap around and secure with Velcro. This way you can take the bottle out and wash it thoroughly.

You could also check out 'trash to treasure' type sites. Often times, you may have everything you need to complete a project right in your home. One last note, there is a wealth of information at your local library. I raid the craft section of mine on a regular basis and find a lot of inspiration and sometimes the answer to a project question. Just a thought. Hope some of this helps.

Smiley

Good luck on your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
http://www.zibbet.com/sewmantra | http://sewmantra.blogspot.com
ayac
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013 08:51:08 AM »

Is this not just a tall bag with a port for the boxed wine spigot to pop through? Boxed wine has the inner wine bag with dispenser that pops out of the box. I always thought that this was a bag with a hole on the end so you took the boxed wine skin and placed it into for easier portability?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013 09:16:47 AM »

I'd just make a purse (whatever design you like, jordy might work perfect for this), then buy the reservoir and tube for a camelbak. (Yes I know camelbak's are for water, but I've had friends use them for booze for years). And sew a channel in the bag for the tube to come out. just sew some sort of strap into the bag for the reservoir to hook onto.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014 10:48:16 AM »

some things in life are just easier to buy rather than make.... this may be one of them and I say may depending.  However that being said I would personally have one major issue with this and that would be how to clean it.   I hated most sippy toddler cups for the same reason, while cute pictures and name brands you would think they would think of the parent cleaning the cup especially if it rolled under the sofa or got left in the van over the weekend in the middle of the summer.  But noooooo most are almost impossible to get totally clean without a toothbrush and tools used to clean cake decorating tips and denture cleaning tablets.  Maybe that was just me being paranoid until I found the silicone topped ones that were easier to clean.  

But how would you clean this out properly?  The spigot and inside spigot, the container itself?   I guess that's why boxed wines are so popular, they are disposable.

You said your friend was a wine lover, does that included boxed wines or just the ones in the bottles?  Personally I'm NOT a fan of boxed wines including most bottled wines as I am not a fan of the vinegar taste and like sweeter fruity wines.  

If you needed to make a bag that could be reused, and while a waste buy a box a boxed wine, dump the wine or use it as cooking wine and recycle the box and bag inside.   Carefully open the box and maybe add some velcro to the closure so it could be opened and closed with ease and multiple times.   You could spray paint the box if you wanted to make it a little nicer.  Maybe use a base of kiltz to cover the print on the box first or just paint it black.    Sew a bag to fit around the box which would give you a stable base for the bag and wouldn't flop over.  Then sew the bag using stiff pellon stuff, the kind used for baseball hat bills and such.  Add a layer of softness with a layer of polar fleece or iron on fleece to the inside between the outer and inner fabric.  I have made cosmetic bags with both and it worked out nicely.   Then use your button hole option as someone else suggested to make the hole for the spigot to pop in and out of.  Don't forget to add the stiffening pellon to your handles.  You could make the handles longer because if your going to the beach you might be carrying other things and you could pop this bag on your shoulder leaving your hands/arms free for other stuff to carry.  

Another thought would be to buy a plastic container with a spigot such as ones sold for water to put into the fridge.  They come in several sizes, are rectangle and make your bag to fit this instead.  It would be heavier with the plastic, but you could also refill it as well.

A bag would be simple to sew, just cut 8 pieces of fabric the right size, (a quilting ruler and cutting mat rotary cutter makes this super simple to cut them the same) adding seam allowances and a little extra so it's not a tight fit.  And fit one inside the other, use double fold bias tape to cover your raw edges at the top and add on your handles.  It's super simple.   There are lots of video's on youtube as well.    Adding your pellon and fleece if you wanted to add a bit of softeness to the wrong side of each fabric.  Practice your button holes with scraps with the pellon added so you don't muck up on the real thing.   It doesn't need to be any harder than that.   I have made lots of bags this way, various bags for my kids and halloween trick or treat bag just using two layers of cotton for those though....   If you wanted two fabrics for the outside so the bottom of the bag was different than the top, just cut them the way you want, and sew before sewing your sides together.   Easy peasy, simple straight stitching.

Another thought is to make a round bag to fit say a liter or two liter bottle of soda.   Recycle and reuse an empty bottle and pour the wine into the old pop bottle.   You could even remove the label off a bottle and print your own fun label to put on the new bottle of wine.  Personalizing it would be fun, and still legal at the beach because it's in plastic.   If you cover the printed label with clear contact paper it will last a lot longer if your careful about washing it.   (denture tablets would work dandy here since it has a small opening)   Then once back home pour the wine back into the glass bottle it came in and wash out the plastic bottle right away and put it away for your next beach trip.

Just a few more ideas.....  
Good Luck and I hope you post picts of what you come up with!  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014 10:55:26 AM by Krissy.me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Great Products for Being Glamorous on a Budget
Urban Decay Debuts Must Have Naked3 Palette
Olivia Wilde Shares Her Beauty Tips
DIY High-Fashion Nails: Try This Caviar, Glitter and Velvet Manicure
Holiday Nail Art Inspiration for the Metallic Crowd
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...