A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween Party Food-need ideas!  (Read 2060 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2011 08:47:02 AM »

I'm having a Halloween party for some friends and their kids.  I have a few ideas for food, but I need more.  I don't want it to be too sugar focused (although - it's a party so, yeah, there will be sweets)

Current ideas:
-mini grill cheese sandwiches cut into pumpkin shapes
-apples with caramel sauce
-chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin/cream cheese frosting & candy corn on top

I could do a veggie tray, but I'm not so sure how to make it festive.  I don't want to do the scary-gross thing because these are pretty small kids, I was aiming for more of a pumpkins & black cats theme. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011 02:52:38 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011 02:54:25 PM »

Have you checked out the new Craftster quickies video?  There are some fun ideas on there Smiley
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011 10:04:32 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
santacruzsugar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011 09:52:03 AM »

I once made breadstick "fingers" that were dipped in "blood" sauce, but that might be inappropriate for little kid.

You could always cut out pizza dough or bread dough into desired bat or cat shapes (not sure how'd they'd bake out) and then dip in a pizza sauce.

I remember Martha Stewart always had lots of good ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Susie Apple

Ride it on out like you were a bird.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011 09:32:59 PM »

Here are some sites that may help!

http://marymccarthy.suite101.com/halloween-party-food-for-kids-a32202
http://familyfun.go.com/halloween/halloween-recipes/
http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/holidays/halloween/

Also, think about renaming the dishes. They don't have to look any different. Punch can easily become "witch's brew". You could also use food coloring on a normal snack, but then with the color change it could be "monster munchies" or "ghost grub".

Hope this helps  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011 01:14:07 PM »

Candy Corn Pizza: use cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan and some yellow food coloring (or a yellow cheese), and make a "bulls eye".  Sprinkle it so the outside is yellow (yellow cheese or mozzarella with yellow food coloring), the next ring in is cheddar (orange), and the center is parmesan & mozzarella (white).  An easier way is to just sprinkle cheddar in a ring on an already made cheese pizza.  When you slice it up, each pizza slice looks like candy corn.  Google image search "candy corn pizza".

As for veggies, google image search for stuff like "halloween" + "apple treats", "veggies", "peppers", etc.  Whatever food you want to make, I'm sure someone thought of a cute Halloween-themed way to do it.

You can make a veggies tray look more Halloweenie by adding some "Jack O'Peppers" or other veggies made to look like Halloween themed things, putting carrots in the shape of a pumpkin, etc.

http://chocolatecakemoments.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Scary-Vegetable-Cake.jpg
Here's a cute cake made by cub scouts that you can do as a veggie dip, instead of a cake topped with veggies (it's a cute graveyard scene - I think even little ones aren't likely to be scared by the 'spooky broccoli tree' or pretzel fence.

http://spearfamilyculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html
This site has some cute Halloween dinner ideas (don't let the "vegan" banner throw you off - they turned vegan in May, and these recipes are mostly from October - and that shouldn't matter anyway, you can always add real cheese & meat instead of fake stuff if you want!).  Sausage mummies, pizza mummies, terrifying tamale pie (a cute Frankenstein face), Jack O Lantern sloppy joe pie (this is ADORABLE!), eye ball taco salad, Frankenpeppers,  and "Grilled Cheese Sand-Witches with Celery Broomsticks".  Some seriously creative and adorable ideas here.

***OH!  I just noticed your Craftster name!  I assume you ride one (unless the Zuma refers to something not-scooter-related!)?  I'm a Zuma Girl, too!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011 01:15:33 PM by Lrigrem » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011 11:30:33 AM »

How young are the kiddos?  I only ask because when I had my halloween party a few years back, the youngest kids were the most adventurous when trying the "gross" food. 

Blue Corn chips look almost black and you can label them as anything from bats wings to black cat's ears.

We made bread sticks and put almonds on one end for finger nails, to look like fingers.  You could do almost the same thing but make pigs in a blanket.  Wrap mini sausages completely in bread dough of your choice and add an almond to one end to make mini fingers.  They don't look gross when finished, because they only vagely look like fingers.

My husband piped meringue into bone shapes.

We made jello worms, which do look gross but the kids loved them.  I can't remember where we got the recipe, but this looks similiar:  http://www.theidearoom.net/2009/09/jell-o-blood-worms.html

Bean dip can be labeled as mud. 

Other dips can be labeled weird names.  You can even add a bit of food coloring to give it a creepy off color.  We made spinach dip and added some food coloring, served it in a skull dish and called it "Brain Dip".  But you don't have to be that gross or even label it anything. 

Buy a small bottle of ketsup and make a new label to give a spooky blood name or just make it look "halloweeny".  Making new labels for stuff your already going to serve or have at the party can make a big difference in the atmosphere.

I served guacamole on a plate and had a small pie pumpkin carved to look like it was puking the guacamole out.  You wouldn't have to do that, guacamole looks nasty on its own.

Some classics are wings that are labeled as bat wings.  You can pick up honey bbq wings or make some with your favorite bbq sauce and label them as bat wings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011 01:38:35 AM »

my favorite is graveyard dirt cake--that's regular dirt cake spread in a 9x13" pan and decorated with Mint Milano "gravestones" and gummy worms.  Dirt cake is ground oreos mixed with chocolate pudding.  Yummy!

I made bread "bones" with a mushroom "marrow" filling (substitute another flavor if you like)

Mixing purple and green punch or jello makes a pretty good black color.  Serve in a cauldron.

Look around for Halloween serving dishes; ordinary food in a fun container seems more festive.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Show No Mercy Book Trailer
Crescendo Book Trailer Short Version
Abby Sher Talks About Amen, Amen, Amen
Emily Yellin Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...