A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rendering Tallow for Soapmaking: w/Tutorial  (Read 5484 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squeaky-queen
« on: June 13, 2005 02:36:52 PM »

I decided to add hand-rendered tallow soap to my repetoire of experiences in cold-process soapmaking. On Saturday, my (vegetarian) husband and I stopped in at Mason's Meat Mart, a charming establishment that not only harbors the overwhelming smell of cold raw flesh, but boasts a large display of collected meat-slicing implements and various skulls hanging about. We purchased 2.5 pounds of raw suet (that's beef fat, kids) and went on our way home. It cost me $4.21.

I thought I'd post it here for any traditional-method soapmakers, in case anybody wanted to try their hand at rendering their own fat.  It's good if you have friends or relatives who hunt deer or raise livestock - you can usually get it for free because it's usually considered a waste product.

Rendering: The Dry Method

http://www.squeaky-queen.com/tallow/raw_tallow.jpg
Here is the raw suet in the pot. I should have cut this stuff into smaller, maybe 1-inch pieces, but I didn't want to touch the stuff any more than I had to. This will stick to you like no grease I have ever encountered, and it's really difficult to wash off the ol' hands. If you are going to do this, I recommend kitchen gloves so you don't have to get sticky, and chop it up.

Turn the burner on LOW. You want to melt it, not cook it.

SAFETY TIP: Keep a tight-fitting lid handy, especially if you're cooking on gas heat. Fat can catch fire easily, and NEVER throw water on a grease fire- instead, put the lid on to deprive the flames of oxygen until the fire goes out.

After a while, the fat will begin to melt. As it melts, dump it into a clean measuring cup (or something that has a spout) and pour it into a clean jar (I used an old spaghetti jar) that has a coffee filter attached to the top. This will drip s-l-o-w-l-y into the jar, but you'll filter out all the bits of meat, gristle, and connective tissue that may be left in there.

http://www.squeaky-queen.com/tallow/mid_cook.jpg
I found using a metal potato ricer to mash the bits of fat helped squeeze the liquid fat out and they melted faster.

TIP: don't let too much liquid fat accumulate at the bottom of the pan because it will burn, and that will smell like a nasty singed cow. Ladle or pour it out as it melts and you'll avoid this.

Once all the fat is melted and poured out, you have bits left in the pan. These are the cracklin's, and if you're really hardcore pioneer, you can grab yourself a biscuit and some extra fat, spread those puppies on and chow down. I am not hardcore, so I threw them away.

Now you've rendered fat and you're left with a jar of clean fat that will be white when it cools down.

I made soap with it using 80% tallow in the recipe (the rest was 10% coconut oil and 10% olive oil), and here are the results:
http://www.squeaky-queen.com/tallow/finished_soap.jpg

It's colored with French green clay, and the colored/white bits inside are soap shavings from previous batches. I scented it with a nice, manly, woodsy scent. It's a great soap, but whether or not it's worth the pot roast smell during rendering and all that hard work is yet to be determined!

Happy rendering!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011 09:48:20 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005 07:02:51 PM »

Hard. Core.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeaky-queen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005 11:37:07 AM »

Ha ha!

I'm just surprised anybody responded  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005 12:07:19 PM »

thats super awesome that you rendered it all yourself. Thats the kinda thing i would do- even though its time consuming and nasty, but just to say you DID it YOURSELF. Do you think youll try this again?

Ive never made soap before, but think it would be a fun summertime thing to do- Does this fat take the place of whatever amounts of oil you use to go in with the lye?

and are there benifits to doing it with tallow instead of just olive oil or jojoba oils?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeaky-queen
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005 12:32:40 PM »

Good to find someone with the same mindset!  Yes, it is nice to do things just to experience doing them all by yourself!  It's a very good feeling, even if the attempt fails. At least you tried - not many people do!

You can do an all-tallow (or all-lard, for that matter) soap.  I wanted to see what tallow was like, but wanted to add a bit of coconut oil (for bubbly lather) and a little olive oil (for conditioning, and olive cures to make a rock-hard bar).  But you can for sure do a soap with just tallow and lye.

Tallow actually makes a really nice soap - the bars are super  hard already (haven't even cured a week) and the lather is bubbly and mild.  Different oils end up giving the soap different properties when saponified into soap.  For example, coconut oil is awesome for big bubbly lather, but can seriously dry the skin, so most people keep it under 20% of the recipe, while olive oil is conditioning.  You can do an all-olive or a high-olive soap, but many find the lather, while mild, pretty slimy-feeling.

The tallow made a great soap, but I suppose the real benefits would be if it were really inexpensive for you to acquire (if you know someone who hunts deer or have a friend who raises livestock, for example), or if you wanted to make some really old-fashioned soap.  I still have half the suet I bought left, so yeah, I'll be rendering the rest and doing it all over again Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005 10:22:45 AM »

I don't know how you could handle that. I'm incredibly impressed.

the soap looks lovely, by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 12:04:07 PM »

WOW..I love learning about tallow..

thanks for sharing..and the images are awesome..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009 01:35:51 PM »

hehe awesomeness. I'm a big tallow fan in soaps. I've rendered it 5 or 6 times in the past until I found a place that sells pre-rendered.  Embarrassed Your tutorial is great! And the soap looks mahvelous!

Though I have to say that I am a meatatarian and I found the process to be kind of gross, I can't imagine how a vegetarian must have enjoyed it!  Shocked

The only thing I will add is that if anyone decides to do this, call around to a bunch of your grocery stores. The Safeway near my house gives me the suet for free because if I wasn't taking it, they'd just put it in the dumpster. But the King Soopers near me charges $2/lb.

Of course I followed Ann Bramson's advice and brought the butcher a bar of the soap I made with the fat. Friend for life!  Grin (which may explain why I got it for free)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 10:34:37 AM »

I also dry render my lard and tallow, but do it in the oven.  Much less messier, I think.

If you can find a butcher, see if they will grind the suet for you.  Much faster to render that way.

When rendering, keep the temperature low, just enough to melt the suet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
JadedMoonlight
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009 03:56:05 PM »

When I saw the finished product I thought the red and white bits were well, excess products that came with the tallow, if you know what I mean. I know that's really gross, sorry!

This is REALLY cool though - that's really awesome that you tried this! And me being me, I think it's super ecofriendly to not let all that fat go to waste.
I know you mentioned that the bar is really hard, which is interesting. Keep us posted on what it's like when it's done curing? What sort of properties does tallow add to a bar (moisturizing, maybe?)

This is all so curious to me, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009 06:21:53 PM »

Tallow makes a hard, white bar of soap, but it also contributes to that nice, creamy lather that people love so much in a bar. Some people argue that it's not the best cleaner by itself, so that's why a lot of "modern" tallow recipes have tallow and other oils.

I love to work with tallow, but tallow bars are difficult to sell sometimes. Because I live in close vicinity to the Peoples' Republic of Boulder, having tallow soaps at craft fairs can be awkward, lol. A lot of people hear "tallow" and freak.

Though I will add that it is a MYTH that tallow soap clogs your pores. That's entirely a mental thing! (in fact a lot of the commercial detergent bars such as Lever 2000 use tallow still. Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009 05:35:36 AM »

You're right Nymeria.  The majority of soaps and detergent bars are primarily tallow and palm kernel oils ...  I feel using tallow and lard is far friendly eco-wise than using palm oil and contribute to deforestation.

Thankfully, I live in the mid-west.  smack dab in the middle of corn, cows and hogs!  yee haw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Nymeria

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009 07:50:49 AM »

Well Denver's nickname is still "Cow Town" so I hear ya. Without moving into a non-crafty rant, I like to use tallow because it does feel less wasteful. Starving children in China and all that jazz.

However, again, so close to PRB, a lot of people frown upon tallow. So I just make it for friends and family mostly. I always tell people to give it a whirl at least once (of course if you can find a place from where to buy pre-rendered tallow, totally give it a try) because it's very cost effective (I believe lb for lb it's the cheapest oil) and the bar is pretty dreamy!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009 09:01:36 AM »

of course if you can find a place from where to buy pre-rendered tallow

It's closer than you think!  Go to the grocery store ... right next to the Crisco you will see the generic shortenings.  One will be labeled "All Vegetable", next to it will be one labeled just "Creamed Shortening"  and usually 'contains animal fats' or something close to that.

That one, dear soapers, is 97% tallow & lard and 3% soybean oil.  Perfectly acceptable for using in soaping and entering in lye calculators for tallow.

PRB <----  that's funny!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Nymeria

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009 09:04:17 AM »

One will be labeled "All Vegetable", next to it will be one labeled just "Creamed Shortening"  and usually 'contains animal fats' or something close to that.

I have always heard tales of this product but I have YET to find it at ANY  regular grocery store here!!  I used to be able to buy it at an Afrikaans market near my old place, and the Hispanic food store had it sometimes, too. But out here in the 'burbs it's veggie, veggie, or veggie.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009 10:12:45 AM »

truely PRB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

anti-emily
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009 01:01:56 PM »

is there any difference, in terms of soapmaking, between tallow from different animals? can you mix species? haha. like, could i use part beef and part deer in one batch of soap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy .com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009 01:34:37 PM »

The major difference is in the fatty acid profiles of each of the tallows.  For example:

Beef tallow: NaOh .139
Lauric: 0.1 - 2.9
Myristic: 2.9 - 8.9
Linoleic: 2.0 - 3.0
Oleic: 29.6 - 43.0
Palmitic: 24.0 - 32.0
Stearic:18.6 - 25.0
Linolenic: 1.0

Goat tallow: NaOh .1383
Lauric: ~6.0
Myristic: ~12.3
Linoleic: ~3.6
Oleic: ~21.1
Palmitic: ~27.9
Stearic:~ 6.0

Sheep tallow: NaOh .1383
Lauric: ~3.9
Myristic: ~9.7
Linoleic: ~5.2
Oleic: ~26.3
Palmitic: ~23.9
Stearic: ~12.6

Lard: NaOh .138
Lauric: ~0.1
Myristic: 1.0 - 4.0
Linoleic: 2.0 - 15.0
Oleic: 42.0 - 51.0
Palmitic: 20.0 - 28.0
Stearic: 5.0 - 14.0

Ostrich Oil: .139
Lauric: ~3.0
Myristic: ~85.0
Linoleic: ~2.1
Oleic: ~37.5
Palmitic: 7.0 - 26.0
Stearic: ~6.0

Emu Oil: NaOh .1352
Myristic: 20.0 - 40.0
Linoleic: 635 - 14.0
Oleic: 46.0 - 50.0
Palmitic: 21.0 - 31.7
Stearic: 9.0 - 10.7

and the one that makes everyone go 'ewwwww'

Human Fat:  NaOH .1403
Lauric: ~5.4
Myristic: ~7.4
Linoleic: ~7.3
Oleic: ~36.0
Palmitic: ~26.8
Stearic: ~9.7
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009 04:52:33 PM »

seriously Mullers..this is like the 5th time this week someone has mentioned human fat in soap..I heard its from Fight Club...but I have never seen the movie..so I dunno..

the curious part of me is like 'c'mon lets go..where is it??' then the other part of me is like..eww..

but imagine what the cows and pigs would think if we told them we use them in soaps..HAA!!

perspective,perspective..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009 06:32:15 PM »

I should say that I do love "Fight Club" (the book is a bit better than the movie IMHO).

HOWEVER, I used to teach CP classes in the summer (I stopped because I do better in the winter, and this next reason...) and without fail each class I'd get at least one or two stupid teenage boys who seemed to think that in addition to teaching them how to make cold process soap, I'd also discuss how to scrape off the glycerin and turn it into a bomb.

FYI! Making soap does not make you part of a counter-culture revolution! Well, maybe it DOES, but certainly in a non-violent way!  Grin

And of course every time I mentioned it in Warhammer or Warcraft I'd immediately get a dozen "Cool like in Fight Club? Do you raid plastic surgery dumpsters?" Ugh. I would tell those guys that they fail at life.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009 02:18:57 PM »

EPIC Fail!  Anybody want to make soap with human fat...I got extra! Not quite sure how to extract it...

You should watch it smittenheart! I actually had never seen it, but I took an intro to lit class my freshman year and we watched the movie...the teacher considered it one of the best pieces of literature ever (the movie, mind you) and it was really neat to study.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009 12:44:10 PM »

I keep thinking one day I'm going to take all the grease from all the bacon I cook and use it in soap Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Nymeria

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009 12:51:03 PM »

My great-grandmother used bacon grease in her soap occasionally. From all accounts it smelled awful, but got the job done!!

(your avatar ROCKS)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009 01:27:53 PM »

Thanks for the complement AND the info.

I've sorta considered using all my grease, including hamburger....seems like a waste to toss it...plus, if I can make soap out of it, and make it not stink, CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009 01:35:10 PM »

I've sorta considered using all my grease, including hamburger....seems like a waste to toss it...plus, if I can make soap out of it, and make it not stink, CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!! Cheesy

I believe (I may be mistaken, you might Google it or see if someone else knows) that the process for rendering, or purifying, bacon grease is the same as the tallow instructions.

I imagine adding any scent to it would make it not stink. Needless to say, scents were difficult to come by in early 1900's rural Arkansas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009 01:40:08 PM »

i have started saving all my grease to use for soap too too. It is not that hard to put a coffee filter over a jar and filter the oil/grease....those old metal bacon grease savers go on ebay for 20 bucks...waay too rich for me....maybe my grandma has an extra one she is willing to part with....since when did people stop selling them?

fyi: those slab soap molds go on ebay for 60 bucks (cheaper than the website  I saw them on and with more bars)...I just bought one, I have  a feeling it will pay for itself after a couple craft shows.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009 03:21:42 PM »

Old metal coffee can Smiley Those are great for saving grease lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009 03:28:05 PM »

Old metal coffee can Smiley Those are great for saving grease lol

QFT. Old metal coffee cans and wiiiide mouthed canning jars. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

engdom
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009 07:14:44 PM »

wow how old school of you.  that pot of fat is el gross.  I think it's really courageous that you tried this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.

e. e. cummings
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009 02:43:40 PM »

My Beloved is an avid hunter.  And, while I'm not 100% comfortable with that for me (I like to go walking in the woods to see the wild animals WITHOUT killing them), I'm fine with it for him because he's not in it for sport and waste.  He's in it to put food on the table.  Also, he uses the hides.  Now, I'm going to lobby hard that he save the tallow for me! Cheesy

I wonder if the process is viable for bear fat? 

Also, he has 2 fireplaces in his house that he runs fiercely in the wintertime.  I've been lobbying hard that he maintain a safe, dry ash pile for me so I can try rendering lye. 

*sigh*  It would be easier to homestead craft on his homestead if I could just settle down with him on the homestead.  *heart yearns*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Lain_knights
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010 07:07:17 AM »

Hello !

I tried your method this afternoon, it worked great ! Thanks a lot for sharing. I have a question now : is it possible to deodorize it ?
Does it still smell when making soap with ? Are there some essential oils that turn out sweet to mask the initial odour ?
(I'm sorry if I made some mistakes, I'm French so I try to explain myself clearly but it's hard sometimes ! :p)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010 06:11:34 PM »

Hopefully, when you rendered it, you kept it on a low heat.  the higher the heat, the more it will smell.

You can remove some of the odor by placing sliced potatoes in the oil (hot enough to just melt the oil.

The scent will not come through the soap making process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Lain_knights
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010 05:50:12 AM »

Yeah ! I made some soaps and it doesn't smell "fleshy". Thank you very much, it allows me to keep on soapmaking at a lower price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minxalee
Iggy

Elbow grease is the best polish.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010 12:02:23 PM »

This so interesting and useful! Thank you!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wake up, wake up, Darlin' Corey.
What makes you sleep so sound?
Them revenue officers a'commin'
For to tear your still-house down.

Well the first time I seen Darlin' Corey
She was settin' by the side of the sea,
With a forty-four strapped across her bosom
And a banjo on her knee.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Color Tips
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How to Choose a Flat Iron
How to Maintain Your Flat Iron and Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...