My sister called me up a couple weeks ago and asked if I would make some halloween costumes for their family. She wanted them to go as the Flintstones, complete with Dino the dog. I turned down this opportunity as I knew I'd be working a full time job and a part time job soon after the conversation with her. She ended up buying Fred, Wilma and Dino's costumes off the internet. For Pebbles, she got out a pink shirt that had already been ruined and colored black spots on it. Out of all of the costumes, that just left the bone for Pebble's hair that I needed to make.
The day after our conversation about the Halloween costumes, she called me to say that she'd been to a garage sale and had found a kid-sized glider rocker. She wanted to know if I'd recover it for her. Then, she started listing off a bunch of other sewing projects she wanted me to get done (including the bone for their halloween costumes). Things like fixing a pillow, reinforcing the ties on the crib bumper I'd made her and putting the ones that had fallen off back on (see here for the crib bumper: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349321.msg4072160#msg4072160
). The projects other than the chair were small and simple. I agreed to visit her at her house for a weekend to get everything done... The week before I was supposed to be going to visit her, I called her to confirm our plans and found out that we'd had a small misunderstanding. She thought I was going to order the fabric to re-cover the chair and I thought she was going to order it! I ordered it very soon after that conversation, and thankfully, the fabric arrived the day before I left.
My sister didn't want me to take the current cushion covers apart to make a pattern. So, I traced the cushion with the cover on it as best I could (twice). Then I pinned and sewed the two pieces together, all except for the one side I wanted to put a zipper in. The original cover was not removable. My sister has a 1 year old daughter with a second child on the way, so she wanted the cover to be heavy enough to stand up to the wear and tear (we ordered denim), removable (I added zippers) and wipe-able (she didn't really get this wish, but hey, it's wash-able!). She also wanted it to match her other furniture, which is all cream. I ordered the fabric from fabric.com, and the fabric ended up being too light compared to her other furniture, but as she says it's "close enough".
Overall, I think it came out well, especially considering that my sister had company (other than me) 2 of the 3 evenings I was there and refused to let me work when she had other company. There are still some small refinements I would like to make to it, such as serging the inside seams, removing the excess seam allowance, putting a flap over the zippers to keep them from scratching the chair, washing it to remove my pencil markings, etc. However, the covers are use-able and are currently on the chair.