A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
921 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help, emotionally unfit  (Read 1912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shwiggles
« on: October 03, 2011 08:28:47 AM »

So, I've recently been through a fairly big breakup.  It has left me sort of unsure about myself.  I know it was the right choice, but things have been rough. 
I'm usually the one who has their costume picked out months before Halloween, and I've started working on it by now.  Not this year.  I've been too pre-occupied with other things.  And throw in a move for good measure, dealing with an apartment that has mice, no heat now, and trying to make ends meet... and discovering the people I called "friends", well... you get the idea.
For Halloween I'm going with a friend to his brother's band's first show, at a bar I've never been to, and hanging out with people I don't really know very well.  Outside of my comfort zone for sure.
I have a few ideas, but feel like they all fall short of what I'm normally capable of.
I don't want to wear a wig, or have makeup on my body, and I can't do heels. 

Some of my ideas:
Bad ass chick (dilemma here is that I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be Lara Croft)
Creepy doll
voodoo doll
where's waldo
zombie something (but i'm not great at fake wounds etc.)

This is the first year EVER that I've felt like, Screw dressing up for Halloween

Last year I was Vulcan, for my birthday costume party I was Poison Ivy.  I have a certain level of costume to live up to.  Nothing seems to be really grabbing me.  I feel like my brain isn't working properly at the moment. 

I know this sounds like just another one of those "OMG I'M NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH TO THINK OF MY OWN COSTUME" but I assure you that I am.  I always have an amazing costume idea.  Next year I'm going to be Borg Queen (been saying this for years but it never works out, I have all the pieces for the head part)

I think it's what I've been through recently that has killed my Halloween spirit, and blocked my brain.

Please help a sad, broke, lonely girl out.  Bounce ideas around, tell me what you're being, what you've been. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011 12:05:52 PM »

Assuming I can get my act together, I'm going as Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas.  I *MAY* be doing a red wig (but I'm also dying my hair before Halloween red, so I might not bother), and have to sew the patchwork dress together & then paint the designs on in black.  I plan to get blue tights, or dye my white tights blue, and sharpie the stitches on.
If you have pink, blue/green, and yellow fabric (or dye & old white t-shirts), it an be a pretty easy costume.

Check out the Costume Along thread, they've got a lot of stuff going on in there.

If you have roller skates, go as a Roller Derby girl, give yourself a bad ass name, and embrace the feeling that comes from a bad ass derby persona.  Wink

Bad Ass chick is a neat idea, but when people ask what you are, "Bad Ass Chick" doesn't exactly sound that bad ass.  But I like the idea of going as someone who kicks major ass after a break up.  Maybe choose a specific (non-Lara) character - I always liked Alice from Resident Evil & Selena from Underworld.  Have any kick ass role models you can scrap together an outfit from?

If you usually spend months putting a costume together, and you're starting late this month, don't expect an amazing costume.  If you can get it together in time, awesome, but if not, you don't want to feel bad about it.  Stuff happens.  Maybe get a cheesy costume together & start working on that Borg costume, and tell people next year will be insane, and you had to start more than a year early.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
PentapodMonster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011 01:23:27 PM »

Girl, there are a ton of things you could be for Halloween on the cheap. I think being a voodoo doll is a great idea! You could use eye liner to draw stitches on your lips, like your mouth was sewn shut. I would get an old dress from a thrift store, and grunge it up by burning it, staining it, stomping it in the dirt, etc. Maybe sew a large, bright felt red heart on the chest and attach a knitting needle? It would look like a voodoo doll with a needle through its heart.

Another fairly simple costume would be classic catwoman. Get a pair of grey leggings and a grey turtle neck, and a big gaudy gold-colored belt. Then just wear black boots and black gloves. You could sew the mask and or hood pretty easily with black or grey fabric.

If you really need to do Halloween on the cheap this year, I suggest working with what you already have to make a costume, or going to a thrift store and seeing what they have. You might find an item of clothing that really gets your idea going for a costume. I found a huge old red jacket at thrift store this year, and cut it up to make a corset for my wonder woman costume. Even if you don't have time to really sew, you could still find some great stuff. May you'll find the perfect waldo sweater, maybe you'll find an animal-print skirt that could be easy to turn into a queen-of-the-jungle costume.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope things pick up for you soon. Let me know if you need any more help with the costume specifically!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011 03:58:58 PM »

Make yourself a simple super heroine costume and do cool accessories and go as a unique superhero. To elucidate, a friend of mine from the needlework board did a costume this summer where she meant as 'MAJOR MARGARITA', the Happy Hour Heroine. Her wrist ray guns were squirt guns filled with...guess what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011 05:12:13 PM »

I dig the idea of a voodoo doll or broken doll. It's all doable with hypoallergenic mineral-based cosmetics (eyeliner, for example), and altered thrift store goodies.

*HUG* You'll find your mojo! It's just sleeping Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shwiggles
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011 11:49:29 AM »

I have to say, I wasn't expecting as much love as I got.  I was expecting to be yelled at!  But I guess that's just where I'm at emotionally right now.. haha. 
Anyway, thanks for the ideas, I think I figured out two super easy (albeit NOT at all crafty) costumes.
Risky Business
Mia Wallace

Super easy.  All I'd REALLY have to buy is sunglasses for RB and a shirt for MW.

But now the voodoo doll and creepy doll ideas are sounding more interesting.  We shall see! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkie_poh
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011 12:41:36 PM »

You said you're not keen on makeup on your body--does that mean you're ok with wearing it on your face? If the answer is yes: dress up as a dia de los muertos skeleton! Doesn't require any fancy costume (maybe a black dress, with some black lace?), throw a flower in your hair, get your skeleton face on, and you're ready to rock and roll Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011 01:48:41 PM »

You said you're not keen on makeup on your body--does that mean you're ok with wearing it on your face? If the answer is yes: dress up as a dia de los muertos skeleton! Doesn't require any fancy costume (maybe a black dress, with some black lace?), throw a flower in your hair, get your skeleton face on, and you're ready to rock and roll Smiley

Oh, I forgot about this!  That's what I did a few years ago, super easy & got a TON of compliments. 

Love the voodoo doll idea though.  A coworker did Risky Business one year, and as simple as it is, everyone knows it & loves it.  Major Margarita with squirt guns is pretty awesome.  Smiley

Dude, it's Craftster.  Out of all the forums I'm on, it's the only one that doesn't make me want to smash stuff after reading the comments.  It always brightens my day.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
Shwiggles
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011 07:55:28 AM »

Haha yah, I'm not on here very often, so I completely forgot that people on here aren't jerks.
Dia de los muertos skeleton is a very cool idea, but that's what two friends were last year, and I have a feeling that, in my area, people will be dressing up as this a lot. 

I've got the Risky Business costume put together, and if I feel the urge, I may try to make the creepy or dead or whatever doll, voodoo maybe.. not sure.  But it's good to have a back up plan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011 11:49:09 AM »

Hey sweetie, just wanted to throw some love your way. A lot of things you're saying is very similar to me...
Always have lots of costume ideas and start planning/working on it months in advance. This year, no motivation.
Moved recently, started new quarter at school, went to wedding in another state and had my 3+ year relationship end just after getting home. The last couple of weeks has been a desperate attempt to find myself again. Just wanted to let you know it sucks, you're not alone in that and it'll get better.

Maybe doing a costume like the voodoo doll or something that you would need to do a little work on will give you something to focus on and enjoy.

On the other hand, the RB costume is super cute without being slutty. It says "I can do sexy without being slutty. I'm also fun!" And sometimes, getting out and flirting a bit is the next step in getting your confidence back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flaunt Modern Sparkly Eyes to Your Next Party
How to Find Your Perfect Foundation Match
How to Get Newspaper Nails
Muticolor Shatter Nail Mani Tutorial
How to Apply Foundation the Right Way
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...