A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to all of this!  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Allaroundadorable
« on: October 03, 2011 07:40:21 AM »

I have always enjoyed crafts and a few months ago I started making hair bows for my daughters and For a few years I have been making Party stuff for friends and family. (diaper cakes, towel cakes, party banners, invitations and decorations) Everyone told me to start selling on etsy. A local woman I know that is the head of a few festivals and fairs asked me to be a part of one this month. She said that I do not need any business or vendor permits/licenses to be a part of it.

I am really excited to do this seeing as I am a stay at home mother of 2 and its time for me to have something other then "mommy duties" lol but I don't want to do it the wrong way....What do I need to have (permits, licenses) and do I need to collect sales tax on my items?? I would love to be a part of more fairs and festivals in the future or sell at flea markets, so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to say!!!

I would love any advice or information about starting a new handmade item business in Florida.
Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaggieTheCat
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011 09:30:22 PM »

If you are in the U.S. (just noticed you said Florida...) then yes, you will need to get a tax permit.  It should not be too hard to obtain, try searching for "Florida sales tax permit" or something similar, or check at a library for reference documents, or ask the person who invited you to her show or another vendor.  If she says you don't need anything, be sure to ask her about a state sales tax permit.  If she still says you don't need one...check with someone else.  I am only really familiar with my state's laws (Texas) but as far as I know, every state requires that you obtain a sales tax permit to sell, and then to report and pay sales taxes.  I don't really want to get into how it's done here since it might be totally different in Florida and I don't want to start you off with false information.

Vending is a lot of work but, to me at least, is very rewarding.  Remember to expect the unexpected for your first show or three, and that diving in head-first is the best way to learn.  There will be bumps along the way and you will have to improvise but things will work themselves out.  Have fun and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shelin20
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012 11:31:33 AM »

I applied for my tax id number on my states irs website it was a lot of questions to answer but free and easy they took 2 days emailed me the number and are mailing me my cards, its a good and easy way to cover your but. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/people/CommodityOddity
Find everything and anything of whimsy in my etsy
Use code ODDBALL for 15% off!
http://yardsellr.com/yardsale/Steph-Helin-598297
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Loving Tribute to E. Lynn Harris
Richard Doetsch Talks About The 13th Hour
House Rules Book Trailer
Meet Author Mike Dooley
Meet Author Lisa Lutz
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...