A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giant "Sarah" Puppet, Bread-&-Puppet Theater Style  (Read 964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChameleonHound
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Odds 'n ends are my specialty.

Beware the Platypirates and their tri-corner hats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 02, 2011 10:44:09 PM »

Hi all!
I debated posting this project for a long time. I finally decided to go ahead since the construction techniques might be helpful for others to base ideas from, but I would like to first put forth a disclaimer:
This puppet was created a la public activism style, for a puppet class at a liberal arts hippie school. The figure this was created to represent was more politically active at the time, and is rather controversial. Thus, if you are a fan of this person, please forgive the political implications and take this for what it is - practice at puppet-crafting.

Okay, that aside, time for you all to meet my friend and accomplice Cora and our puppet... let's just call her Sarah.

She was made almost entirely out of recycled materials, though I think this board is more appropriate (sorry Mods, if you want to move us, I'll understand). The head is made out of cardboard, which is supported by a chunk of wood attached to a newspaper frame. The whole thing is sitting on a rather sturdy person (me), and I'm swathed in clothing we found in our school's free box, and a skirt made of a very ugly curtain. Oh, and the glasses are some scrap wire we found.

Our assignment was to create a puppet that was Bread & Puppet Theater style, meaning big and expressive enough to be seen from across a field. For anyone that doesn't know, Bread and Puppet Theater is an acting troupe from Vermont that does big outdoor plays to promote social awareness on various topics. Anyway, the detail of the assignment was to create this puppet, use as little detail as possible on the face but still have something that was expressive, and perhaps most importantly, able to travel. The final part of the project was to go on a parade through campus, which I have to say, was a blast!

Okay, back to Sarah. We kept it pretty simple, so much so that she didn't even have a back surface to her head. While being carried around by me, her arms were operated by Cora by wires taped to her cardboard hands. However, we did decide to challenge ourselves with one fantastic detail. She could wink.

This was accomplished by an overly-complicated string setup that pulled an elastic causing her cheek and eyebrow to slide together. Usually followed quickly by "You betcha!". Ahem.
In the first photo up there, Cora is actually pointing out how this works. You can see the elastic, which we found out unfortunately can't stand the friction of repeated use and tended to break on us. In the second photo, you can see the string hanging down through the frame to my arm height so that I could discretely make her wink. Although we couldn't have her wink as often as we had hoped, it did still get the response we were going for. Overall, she was a success; the only problem we had besides the failings of the wink rubber band was when the January wind picked up during the trudge across the campus lawn. She has a massive, sail-like head, but thankfully her wooden neck was sturdy and I managed to keep my footing.

I hope you enjoyed meeting Sarah, and hopefully she can inspire any big puppety projects you make in the future. I'm tempted to put together a tutorial on how to make a weight-supporting frame out of newspaper, if people think that would be helpful to someone other than the occasional crazy puppeteer like me. Thanks for checking it out! C&C most welcome on the crafting, not arguing the politics please. And here's one last action shot:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever happened to the ongoing hoopla swaps?
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011 10:52:51 PM »

Crazy complicated but in a simple sorta way. Great construction and awesome getting her to wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011 05:44:35 AM »

I love this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011 06:53:18 AM »

Cheesy

I got the best laugh at of this post...

What a creative assignment!  The wink mechanism was ingenious...you betcha!  Wink

I am thankful that using art to make a statement is alive and well...

good job...I bet it was fun as well...who wouldn't like to see a huge puppet head walking around?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madame Souza
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011 08:00:59 AM »

That's really cool. She looks great! It looks like you had fun constructing her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011 10:37:44 AM »

This is awesome! Hope you got a good grade Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011 07:34:03 PM »

The wink is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
6 Ways to Look Great While Going Gray
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
How to Wear Your Favorite Summer Braids in Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...