A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Philadelphia Area Thrift Stores  (Read 9874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lol Stein
Cat lady

Atomic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006 01:17:34 PM »

i go to two GREAT thrift stores.

one's called family thrift on girard and broad (yes, it's a sketchy area of philly, but i live there, and it's...kind of....nice....in the day time).  it's huge and everything is cheap cheap cheap.  they've got clothing, housewares, and tons of linens that you can reuse as various fabrics.

i also go to circle thrift (www.circlethrift.com) in fishtown.  they've got a really big craft section, due to me.   yes, i'm being snobby, but i used to flirt all the time with the super cute chubby guy that works there and he ended up making a bigger craft section.  if you ask, they also have a huge pile of stuff you can go through in the back room.

oh, and circle thrift is located next to a great cafe called rocket cat cafe.

Yep! I live right there too Smiley I love Rocket Cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So what are you, a mod or a rocker?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, really.
------------------------------------------------------------

Want to do a personal swap?
_wheres_waldo_
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006 06:39:02 PM »

the thrift store i go to is the beehive.  it's pretty spiffy, and in the northeast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veronikavsyou

i like to think i was born in the wrong decade.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008 05:59:58 AM »

probably a long shot, but does anyone know of that thrift store around 10th and lehigh? i went there 2 summers ago and i can't remember exactly where it is. its in da hood, and i'm not trying to bike around there if i don't know where i'm going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

authentic vintage clothing, 40's - 70's.

http://sweettoothvintage.etsy.com
onceuponatime
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008 06:14:13 PM »

Kathryn's Korner is a small thirft store packed with stuff... and you'll never get anything cheaper, items are $1 each.  Plus, all of the money goes to a non-profit helping homeless women and children. 

It's hard to find.  There is a small street called Lawrence between 4th and 5th streets.  The store is on Lawrence just south of  Master (maybe 2 blocks north of Girard).  It is across from the loft apts and has a brown door.  There is a small black and white sign attached to the building since it isn't a normal store front.  Hours are Monday-Friday from 10-2.

It's a hidden gem!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Clare-Dragonfly
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008 03:53:08 PM »

My favorite thrift store is the Goodwill on Cottman (I think) in the Northeast. It's several blocks down the street from the Beehive and close to another thrift store, the Lighthouse, which has a lot of dishes and stuff like that (as opposed to a lot of clothes). The Goodwill always has a great selection of clothes and excellent prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stories last longer: but only by becoming only stories.

Clare K. R. Miller
lysearedwolf
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008 09:50:08 AM »

probably a long shot, but does anyone know of that thrift store around 10th and lehigh? i went there 2 summers ago and i can't remember exactly where it is. its in da hood, and i'm not trying to bike around there if i don't know where i'm going.

If you mean the Village Thrift Store just east of Germantown on Lehigh, it's not there anymore. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008 04:12:45 PM »

There are two thrift stores in Paoli(R5 train). One is actually closer to the Daylesford stop and it's called The Trading Post, and it benefits Fox Chase Cancer Center. Then there is one in a shopping center in Paoli that benefits Paoli Memorial Hospital and it is called The Palm Tree. I like Trading Post better cause it has more clothes. Oh and Good Samaritan Church has a thrift shops too.

Berwyn might have a few, according to my friend, but I haven't looked for them yet.

In Bryn Mawr/Rosemont there is a church that has a thrift shop. Then the Bryn Mawr Hospital one is AWESOME. It's in three seperate buildings, divided by men's, children's then womens/furniture/etc...It's the best. There are a few others but I can't remember.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008 03:03:16 PM »

Here are the ones I frequent:

Pennywise Thrift -- in Ardmore,  on Lancaster Ave, benefits Jefferson Hospital.  Dirt cheap, closed during the summer

Junior League -- also in Ardmore on Lancaster Ave, pricier, but really nice stuff, including an "haute couture" rack.  I bought my wedding dress here for $50.

Bryn Mawr Hospital Thrift -- mentioned already in this thread, on Haverford Ave in Bryn Mawr, has furniture, men's women's children's, and "bric-a-brac" in the basement.

Greeen Street Consignment -- slightly more upscale clothing, but not out of thrifting reach.  Two locations, to my knowledge:  Lancaster Ave in Bryn Mawr, and on South Street in Philly

Retrospect -- also on South Street in Philly, huge selection of men's and women's clothing, some furniture.  Good place to do costume shopping.

Circle Thrift -- I'm not up on my neighborhoods...Fishtown?  Near Temple University, at any rate. 

Beehive -- on Rising Sun in the NE, great prices, furniture store across the street (Beehive 2), I go here on my lunch break!,

Also on Rising Sun, there are many many thrift stores, including "Almost new" "Lighthouse" a decent-sized Salvation Army.  Though I can't speak for these, it's a great strip of thrifting. 

Salvation Army in Roxborough, near the post office, HUGE building, TONS of stuff, standard discount days, occasionally some good vintage stuff. 

Kid 2 Kid -- not sure if this counts, but it's a consignment/second-hand store for kids, which makes a lot of sense since they grow so fast!  It's on City Line in...Upper Darby/Drexel Hill or thereabouts.

Nana's Attic -- further down Rt 1, on Sproul Road, there's this consignment shop.  I haven't shopped here, but my sister in law consigns here.  Proceeds go to abused women. 

As you can see, I do the circuit.  Love 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
_wheres_waldo_
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008 04:35:50 PM »

Also on Rising Sun, there are many many thrift stores, including "Almost new" "Lighthouse" a decent-sized Salvation Army.  Though I can't speak for these, it's a great strip of thrifting. 

the salvation army on rising sun is kind of shady, but the lighthouse is fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009 09:42:35 AM »

Philly AIDS Thift is at 514 Bainbridge (one block away from South St.). They have amazing stuff--vintage, new, etc. all at really great prices. They have more than just clothes, too. Very cool place. And all the money raised goes to a local AIDS foundation, so it's even better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
How to Draw Robin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...