A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A-MAZE-ING: the pattern (2 versions)  (Read 16970 times)
Tags for this thread: maze , blanket , featured_project , pattern , chart , tunisian_crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2011 06:45:18 PM »

Here's a panel I made in Tunisian crochet: It is an actual, functional maze, with entry and exit points.
Crocheted with Bernat Mosaic (Psychedelic) and a worsted weight black acrylic.

Since many expressed interest in the pattern, here it is!
*NEW*There are now two versions of the chart: the purple has an easy solution and the blue is hard to solve.

Disclaimer: I worked many hours on making these charts so I ask that, should you use it for any kind of project, you credit me (Jennifer Bush) for it. I also ask that you not sell items that you have made with it online (offline is fine).

I made the one pictured in Tunisian crochet, but you could use other techniques such as tapestry crochet or knitting.

In black: Ch 47. Work 2 rows of tss.
Begin chart: Always work 1st and last stitch of row in black (not included in the chart), except for the row where the entrance to the maze is, you'll want to work the first st in your cc.
Finishing: End with 1 row of tss in black, but work the stitch where the maze exit is in you cc. Fasten off.

Ch = chain
Cc = contrasting colour
Tss = Tunisian simple stitch

Please let me know if you make this, I'd LOVE to see pictures Cheesy
Enjoy !!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011 10:07:29 PM by Geniale » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
indigo_roses
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 07:11:24 PM »

Woah, very neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 08:15:57 PM »

Wow......wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schizo319
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 09:48:31 PM »

LOVE this! <rocks>
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011 10:39:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing your chart, Jennifer!  I love mazes, and you obviously put a lot of time into designing this one.

How big is the piece you made?  At 47 stitches across I assume it's not large (depending on the yarn you used, of course).  I'm thinking that by doubling up on everything (e.g., two stitches per block, either in double crochet or repeating each row in single) it could be maybe turn out lapghan sized...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011 01:07:56 AM »

Beautiful! I love mazes too, and the colours you used look great. Thank you very much for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011 06:14:49 AM »

um. THIS ROCKS.  and I have a boy who loves mazes.  now I've got to learn color work in m tunisian crochet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puzzler
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011 07:27:50 AM »

That is amazing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011 11:51:35 AM »

Thanks for sharing your chart, Jennifer!  I love mazes, and you obviously put a lot of time into designing this one.

How big is the piece you made?  At 47 stitches across I assume it's not large (depending on the yarn you used, of course).  I'm thinking that by doubling up on everything (e.g., two stitches per block, either in double crochet or repeating each row in single) it could be maybe turn out lapghan sized...?

I crocheted it a little too tightly for Tunisian so it is very stiff, but with a 3.5mm hook and worsted weight yarn, it came out to 6.5 x 9 inches. I definitely recommend using a larger hook (that's why I wrote 5mm in the pattern). There are different ways you could increase the size of the finished product. Increasing hook size and doubling the yarn is the most obvious one, though I don't think it would make it lapghan size. You could also make each square larger by making 2 sts wide x 2 rows high (or 3x3, 4x4, etc). Or you could do all that... if using double crochet, I would recommend working up a swatch first to see if it gives you squares (and not rectangles or it'll look kind of weird) and I would also suggest linking the stitches for a fuller fabric.

um. THIS ROCKS.  and I have a boy who loves mazes.  now I've got to learn color work in m tunisian crochet.  Smiley

Colour work in Tunisian is actually quite simple. Basically, the loop you pull up in the forward pass is the one of the colour you want for that stitch (carry the other colour in the back). On your return pass, you pull through two loops as usual, but you use the colour of the second loop. I don't know if I'm explaining clearly or not?

Hope this helps Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011 04:33:14 PM »

Beautiful! The colors and the pattern are perfect for each other!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bat Bag For Light Stands
SB600 Optical Slave
Reflector Stands Are Cheaper Than Assistants
Using a Folding Chair as a Posing Stool
Using a Speedlight Softbox
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...