A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafts for toddlers, New ideas?  (Read 775 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftsInSeattle
« on: September 30, 2011 01:23:51 PM »

Anyone have ideas for crafts specifically for 2-3  year olds?
So far I've come up with three:
1. A tweaked version of Martha stewarts glittery pumpkins
2. Turkeys made from Styrofoam balls, paint and feathers.
3. Not very original but hand made cards

those are just holiday ideas i want something interesting me and my son can make aside from water colors and all that
 ideas are greatly appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Good girls are bad girls who haven't been caught!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011 10:17:43 PM »

This was for a party I was hosting for young children. My daughter is just now three years old and she managed to help make a pumpkin last year.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=325580.msg3759148#msg3759148

This may sound a bit silly, but you might want to look at homeschooling websites or books about homeschooling lesson plans as they tend to put an emphasis on creativity. Right now, hubby and I have a book from our local library called: "The GIANT encyclopedia of theme activities for children 2-5." That is exactly what it is. It's broken up by age, skill sets and seasons or themes.                                                                                  

We are just starting formal lessons at home and pull a lot of ideas off of "hands on Homeschooling", which you can find on the internet. Even Disney, Nick jr. and Sesame Street have craft ideas on their websites.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm hoping something in this mess of an answer helps you out! Happy crafting. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011 10:23:49 PM by Novismom - Reason: Added a link and removed some jibber-jabber » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011 10:38:03 PM »

Novismom, cute little pumpkins there.

2-3 is a hard age to come up with craft projects that extend beyond cutting out pumpkin or heart or whatever shapes and letting them paint them or that don't require you to basically assemble the items yourself.  It would have to be a very simple craft like the one Novismom posted.  My daughter is 3.5 and we do a lot of art projects that are focused on the process versus the product.  Its much more satisfying for her since there isn't the one right way to do it.  If you are interested, I have a whole board on pinterest devoted to what I term, "playful learning." There are some art ideas there...http://pinterest.com/rlynn/playful-learning/.  Cards may not be super creative but perhaps let him make prints or use the shaving cream marbling technique.  Both would come out looking super cool.  For print ideas, Aria and I have used plastic animals, vehicles with interesting tread, legos, buttons...some other print ideas would be interesting cuts of veggies or fruit, sturdy leaves, bubble wrap...

Have him paint rocks; they can be gifted as paperweights.  Or one idea that I am going to do with my daughter is to warm up a flat rock in the oven and let her "paint" it with a crayon.  (*making sure of course that the rock isn't so hot that it burns her...)

Another idea I've seen that I do not have pinned on my pinterest board is letting them paint and then cutting the mat in a particular shape like a rabbit or tree or whatever and then framing as wall art. 

I love The Artful Parent for ideas.   She has a blog as well as a facebook presence.  She has a lot of brilliant ideas to generate that natural creativity.  http://artfulparent.typepad.com/artfulparent/

MaryAnn Kohl is also a great resource for toddler/preschool art ideas.  She has several books out...

Hope that helps. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Good girls are bad girls who haven't been caught!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011 11:16:00 PM »

Actually, you helped ME. My baby is 3 and a half and insists on doing it all by herself. (And look out if it isn't her idea of perfect!) I feel like I spend a couple of hours each night scouring the net for ideas that are within her skill set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011 01:48:06 AM »

Actually, you helped ME. My baby is 3 and a half and insists on doing it all by herself. (And look out if it isn't her idea of perfect!) I feel like I spend a couple of hours each night scouring the net for ideas that are within her skill set.

Yay! I'm glad I could help.  My daughter is a lot like that too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011 12:12:08 PM »

What are you looking for crafts for?  Christmas gifts?  Holiday celebrations?  Everyday?

Search Pinterest for "handprints." There are a lot of projects on there that use handprints as the final touch on a particular picture.  (For instance, we did one we found there, where the handprints were used as the tutu on a dancing dress.  Others use them as the foliage on trees, etc.)

Little ones can help stir stuff in a Kool-Aid dye bath.  (Be careful, because it's hot, but with close supervision a little one should be able to help.)  They can knead homemade playdough (or, for that matter, bread dough, 'though that's not exactly a "craft.").

Anything that is largely assembly or decoration (gluing) should be workable.  So you could make something where you do the primary assembly and then the child glitters it, glues pompoms on, etc.

Depending on eye/hand coordination, this age group can often do scissor-work.  (A young 2yo probably couldn't, but a 3yo or almost-3yo might.  Depends on the child.)

I saw a project about coloring hot rocks that would be great for this age.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011 02:25:04 AM »

at this age it is the process not the finished item thats important as the process is what they use to learn about their world, and don't underestimate the importance of painting.

Painting doesn't just mean paper and a brush though - finger paints, mono-printing (painting on a surface eg table, then taking a print), if the child can blow down a straw - bubble painting (put washing up liquid in the paint, you might need to dilute the paint a bit too), theres marble painting, printing - you can use all sorts of things for this: sponges, toys (cars are a good example), leaves, fruit (citrus fruit need to be cut then left cut side down on absorbent paper for a couple of hours to reduce the amount of juice), corks, body parts (they love walking in the paint!), shoes etc. Let them paint on windows - the light comes through giving a different look to the images, and water based paint washes off no problem. If you mix PVA in with the paint and use it on flat plastic (OHP acetate is good for this) the DRY picture will peel off and become a window cling.
you can also change the paint - try putting things in it to change the texture - sand, wood shavings, glitter etc change the size of brushes you give them to, this will encourage them to explore mark-making more,

collage is always popular, and just a pair of scissors and a pile of paper to cut can keep them occupied for ages. With the cutting skills you can make masses of things - they can cut out things from magazines and catalogues and make watches, funny faces, find characters for stories (either ones they like or ones they make up, they can match colours of the paper to make pictures such as rainbows, houses, frees etc

They love cooking - everything from decorating (and eating!!) biscuits to helping to make dinner. With a little help they can make their own sandwiches (and yours if you are brave enough!) . . .

The list of things they can do is only limited by your imagination and courage (!) - there are lots of things my son could do - but I'm not brave enough to try with him yet (bubble painting is one).

As Novismom said - check out homeschooling websites, and also preschool (kindergarten) sites for ideas/inspiration.

Have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

montsa007

22 Year old guy who likes craft!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011 09:19:56 PM »

check this Smiley - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gr23zSj9ro

Its very easy and kids will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got 5 Minutes to spare? - PM Me for free craft Ebooks Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Éclairée 2013 At Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim
Oscars 2012 Red Carpet Fashion Wins and Fails
Different Celebrity, Same Dress: Kirsten Dunst Vs. Tory Burch
Stars Sporting the Edgy Fashion Style
Hang Loose and Chic in These 3 Beach-Inspired Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...