A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,220
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wear Wolf?  (Read 2180 times)
Tags for this thread: wolf , mask  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

B:RoK
« on: September 30, 2011 10:56:12 AM »

Hey everybody,

This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while and finally have finished!!!  I worked on this guy for a while in big bursts, finishing a lot of the building all at once.  Then it sat for a while before getting fully finished.  I missed pictures of a few steps along the way, but they are pretty simple steps, such as finishing the eyes.  I looked at Youtube videos on making similar masks to get the basics.  It was a LOT of trial and error to really get it going and I learned a lot along the way!

I started by building a framework from plastic mesh. This was where there was the most trial and error, getting this to sit just right.  It was reinforced with bristol board to hold the foam. I used split back tacks to secure the lower jaw on but let it move a bit.

Then I pinned on foam to build the shape of the wolf, again LOTS of trial and error! I used a bunch of videos from Youtube as well as pictures of masks from the internet and cartoon pictures of wolves as references. I cut the bottom from Tim Horton's coffee cups to use as stand-ins for eyes. (These ended up looking so good I kept them) Once I was happy with it, I glued on all the foam on.

I built the teeth from scrap polymer clay and spray painted them white. Pink felt served as the gums. I made a paper template of the top and bottom jaw to make sure the teeth would fit inside my mask. I used foamcore for the bottom and roof of the mouth and covered those in black felt. For the nose I used a scrap of vinyl, folded and sewn to shape. I glued the teeth in and just put the felt "gums" in temporarily. The nose was just pinned on for looks.

Next came the fur.  I used shaggy brown fur, on the snout I shaved it down to be shorter.  I furred the eyebrows next so they would stick off the rest and give my wolf a bit of personality.  The rest of the head was covered with the long fur in the directions that seemed most natural. I furred the bottom jaw and shaved it the same as the upper.

I sewed the ear covers so that the fur would run down on the front and back, then shaved them to a bit longer than the snout I left the fur at the back of the head longer than the mask to cover a bit of the wearers neck. I glued stretched black pantyhose over the back of both eyes, so I could see out but they appear black from the front, then attached them permanently.  I glued the felt "gums" over the edge of the fur around the teeth for a clean finish and secured the bottom jaw.

The jaw is articulated so it moves as I move my head up and down, giving it a howling look when I look up! Like I said, I learned a LOT making this. The visibility is quite limited, as it sits a little high, so you can only see straight out or up. If I did it again, I would make the frame bigger as the foam really adds bulk and the eyes shift up as you build. I am SUPER happy with how he turned out as a first try though!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 11:19:39 AM »

How wooooonderful. Excellent job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 11:37:28 AM »

So awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

decidedly average
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 12:21:49 PM »

That's a good looking wolf - I love it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011 12:45:35 PM »

i'm team edward but that's a pretty cool wolf you made! aaaaroooooooooooooooooooooo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarcastra
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011 01:36:22 PM »

This is so very excellent and fun!  I hope to make my own, one day.  Thank you for sharing all your steps and learning experiences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011 02:18:56 PM »

He's cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lidehtium
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 05:16:00 PM »

I really like this, and love the picture at the bottom of the post, super cool looking Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011 06:52:53 PM »

run little red riding hood!
Fantastic!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011 08:19:45 PM »

All I can say is WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Best Headshot
How to Take a Group Portrait
How to Take a Portrait
How to Take Great Photographs
How to Take Pictures of Wild Animals
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...