A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gloss in the UK  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZimBunny

I'm here to kick arse and drink cups of tea.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2011 10:22:01 AM »

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not on my laptop and have to be quick.

I've recently started using polymer clay but where I buy my clay from doesn't seem to sell any form of gloss (or glaze, whichever). I then went into my local art shop and was advised to buy this clear glaze they have, and sadly it doesn't work. The pieces I've used it on are still sticky three days later and even a second coat (I read somewhere about it sticking to the first layer instead of the clay, so it doesn't react and won't be sticky anymore) this didn't work either.
I've read that people use Rustoleum, but when I've found it, it doesn't say whether it is water based or not.

I live in the UK and never seem to be able to find the products I've seen others use so I was wondering. To any UK clayers, what do you use to gloss your pieces?

Thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011 10:23:11 AM by ZimBunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love to do personal swaps!

I can do whatever I want because I'm voiced by Dan Green!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 02:34:35 PM »

Check out this previous thread and the following page at my site for all kinds of info re materials you can use as clear finishes on polymer clay:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=273974.msg3096293#msg3096293

Few other things:

...many people seem to refer to the word "glaze" as the same thing as a gloss finish, and/or sometimes because some gloss or other finishes have Glaze in the name somewhere (or because the clayers come from other fields)... in the polymer clay world, most clayers use the term clear finish unless they're referring to a specific brand name and just to keep things understandable since there are so many finishes/glazes/varnishes/etc, plus some shouldn't even be used directly on polymer clay

...clear finishes can come in various versions: gloss, semi-gloss, matte... water-based, alcohol-based, petroleum-solvent based...even different types (like polyurethanes, cyanoacrylate floor finishes, thinned PVA glues, dimensional white glues, 2-part resins, clear embossing powders, etc, etc)... as well as under various brand names

...some clear finishes aren't okay for polymer clay and can eat into it over time or immediately (the petroleum-solvent based ones)

...some clear finishes will be tougher than others (more resistant to scratching and to later cloudiness from humidity), and some will be UV resistant

...the Rustoleum polyurethane you've heard about (Varathane) used to be made by the Flecto company, and is usually the gloss, water-based version with Diamond in the name (if it's an "indoor" version, it's water-based)

...the other main tough clear kind of finish used by many clayers is cyanoacrylate floor polish (called Future in the U.S. or some version of that name or called Klear and other names in other countries)...it's thinner than the polyurethanes; Mop 'N Glo is a similar floor polish in the U.S.

...there are also clear finishes/sealers made by art supply companies which may be various formulations and have various characteristics (one is actually the same as the "good Varathane," but of course much more expensive)

...beautiful sheens all the way up to high gloss looks can also be achieved on cured polymer clay by "sanding and buffing" as well as with liquid (and wax) clear finishes

HTH, and there's more info on all aspects of polymer clay at the rest of my site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011 08:10:42 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
ZimBunny

I'm here to kick arse and drink cups of tea.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011 01:59:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice Smiley I've found one that I like thanks to your tips, so all is well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love to do personal swaps!

I can do whatever I want because I'm voiced by Dan Green!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011 08:08:53 AM »

Great!  After you've used it awhile, post back and tell us how it worked (and which one you bought and where) for others in the UK.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
KizzyBeads
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012 12:45:46 PM »

I used to use Klear by Johnsons but for some reason they have decided to stop making it! I've seen a bottle of the stuff going for 25 on Ebay!!!! crazy price but it's the best stuff for glazing IMHO...but now I have to use Fimo glaze (which is still good but I prefer Klear)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Scrapbook Papers
How to Create Iron On Transfer Patterns
How to Pick Scrapbook Supplies
How to Make a Scrapbook
How to Make Christmas Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...