A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,193
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swamp Thing Desk  (Read 2021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RobertBlue
« on: June 13, 2005 09:50:56 AM »

I started completely redoing my room about a week ago.  I've already bought a new bookshelf and a new TV stand from IKEA, but I didn't have enough money left over to replace my really crappy, ugly desk.  It had a black plastic/metal (can't tell) base with a stained, bubbled up, chipped, cut-up white 1/4" particle board top (black edging).

I dug around in the garage and found some extra bright green fluorescent spray paint I had meant to use for a different project last year, as well as a couple bottles of black (I always have black).

After thinking for a short while, I decided that my desk would be bright green and black.

But there was a problem: the green spray paint was defective.  The paint didn't come out evenly and didn't just shoot out of the hole in the front. 

So with a little creativity, a cloth rag, and a lot of luck, I came out with this.

And a top view, just so ya'll can see how awesome the top looks.

In the end, I thought it looked less like radioactive waste and more like Swamp Thing.  This will go perfectly in my room's theme when I finish redoing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005 10:26:15 AM »

LOL  That rocks! It reminds me of that stuff I used to get as a kid that was like plastic gooey snot. Goop I think it was called, somthing like that.
Gotta love defective spray paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sati
Craftsterbator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005 10:30:18 AM »

That looks really cool!  I love the colors.  Though I fear for your eyes if you have a desk lamp reflect off that green, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holly ~
RobertBlue
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 10:59:11 AM »

Though I fear for your eyes if you have a desk lamp reflect off that green, lol.
But that's part of the challenge. Wink
Seriously, with all the stuff I keep on my desk, I'll be lucky if I can see the paint job at all, let alone fit a nice desk lamp on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
someperson

Oh, you've got the darkest eyes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005 04:47:25 PM »

I think...I have that same desk! Tongue (not in the awesome color though)  Neato!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobertBlue
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005 10:19:16 AM »

Well, I started to use the desk a few days ago, and discovered (unsuprisingly) that it was very, very rough.  I almost cut my hand on it.  So, I decided to actually finish it off (not just use a clear spray paint can).  I started off with an entire container of clear drying rubber cement, to put a nice, quick, thick coating of something smooth on the desk.  Then, when it was still pretty rough, I sanded down the rubber cement to make that even, and had a good old time with my old friend, modge podge.  Five coats later and my desk is nice and smooth.  And since I used matte finish modge podge, it's not nearly as shiny as it used to be.  Go me.  After this weekend, I'll have a few new electrical sockets in the wall.  Then, I can start painting the room.  It's going to be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punky_smurf

the one and only

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 11:54:15 AM »

woo hoo for neon green and black! great job on the desk, I'm jealous now because my own huge clunker of a fake wood desk is just not cool. haha anyway I just wanted to say please post pics of your room when its done! I'm really curious as to what its gonna look like now..

-Leah xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
How to Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
How to Make Ohio Buckeyes
Curtis Stone’s St. Paddy’s Day Hangover Meal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...