A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 30 September 2011  (Read 1214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2011 06:59:59 AM »

LOOK AT ME!
I made this almost 2 weeks ago (should have been on last weeks FF but I'm lazy) at the market.
It was a "summer peaches" merino roving that I spun thick and thin and plied with some yellow Sheep Shed roving that I chain-dyed yellow and spun decently thin. Did I post the dye job? I thought I did but who knows. Who cares?

~185 yards

And I had so much left over yellow on the bobbin that I spun the rest of what I dyed and chain plied it for

And last week at the market I took a "fall garden" BFL roving, carded it on my hand cards so I could spin it woolen (LOVE WOOLEN!) and then N-plied it for this:

~120 yards. I like it better in person. It is so squishy! But not as squishy as...

My Sari silk strips plied with a t&t tencel/merino/tussah/angelina batt. I used the border of this Sari wrap as the edges on a pink scrap quilt and decided I needed to cut the middle of it into 1/2 inch strips. I couldn't rip it so I had to cut all 6 yards by hand. It was definitely a "Mindfulness" exercise.

So it came out as an eyelash yarn! OH MY GOODNESS! I love it. I'm gonna have it on the table at the market this week and the next and the next (read: last) and then the next week at the "fall festival" but I really hope nobody buys it because I love it. I mean, if they want to give me $40 for it cool but Whatever, man.
Gratuitous closeup!

Got ~ 215 yards total, 4 1/2 bobbins! I really need the bigger bobbin kit for my Traveler.

So, what did you guys do this week? OR however recently? LET ME SEE! LET ME SEE NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 08:32:22 AM »

Gorgeous yarns Jexxi!

Here's what I've got pictures of.  Once I finally set the homework stuff, I'll take and share pics of those too.

p.s. you can win that puppy in the FOC raffle swap!  If you are an FOC, that is Smiley
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011 08:33:56 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011 12:31:41 PM »

Those are all yummy! I was hoping to get pix and post something in here, but my youngest has a nasty ear infection, and he's pretty miserable. I think I'll have to catch up next Friday.

Jexx, that sari yarn is awesome.
Belladune, that yarn looks so soft and cheerful. I wish I wasn't limiting myself to just one swap right now... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011 02:45:07 PM »

Jexx -- Love the summer peaches and the sari silk is awesome!  Is the sari silk one heavy or light?

Bella -- yours is a super happy yarn, and it makes me think of rainbow sherbet. Yum!

I've got nothing again this week.  My son's transition to preschool has not been easy, so it feels like that's been sucking up all my energy lately.  I do have a good idea for a yarn -- just need the time and energy to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011 09:38:42 AM »

Bella, I saw this on your Blog. Lovely!
Nik: I don't think it's too heavy. I love it. I think it will have a nice drape if worked up right. I also think it work much better knit than crocheted, which sucks for me who doesn't knit! I was genuinely sad nobody bought it yesterday but then again, I only had one sale. We'll see how the next 3 weeks go.

Today is Farm Animals Day! Yes, I still keep up with that stuff. Those swaps were how I met Belladune, actually. <3 I am using this as motivation to get some of that fleece in my garage clean. Hurray motivation! It's also my man's b-day *snort* he's a 'farm animal."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011 09:40:47 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011 10:40:22 AM »

Thanks Ladies!

It's also my man's b-day *snort* he's a 'farm animal."
bwahaaaaa TMI!!! Wink Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Lynn Cullen Talks Edgar Allen Poe and MRS. POE
Simon Sinek on Finding Inspiration to Write His Book "Leaders Eat Last"
The 9 Best Books For Meaningful Change
The Traitor’s Wife by Allison Pataki
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...