A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,075
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bruce, my Dream Paramour  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eapa
« on: September 29, 2011 10:59:07 PM »

This is only sort of a personal story.

Bruce came to me in a dream.

Bruce by Eapa, on Flickr

It was one of those situations that seem perfectly normal while you're in the dream, but make you think twice about your inner psyche when you wake up in the morning. In this dream, a basilisk and I were, ah, having "intimate relations". 

If you know anything about the mythical basilisk, you know that his look means death. (And if you know anything about the real life basilisk, you know that he walks on water, but that's a different story.) In my dream I wasn't concerned about a look of death or getting turned to stone at a glance. While we were locked in that deadly embrace, I was more concerned instead with keeping him distracted every time he tried to bite me. His bite was poison, and he was touchy ... though also easily distracted.

Bruce by Eapa, on Flickr

There's a lot of symbolism involved in a dream about making love to a dangerous mythical lizard. I'm very much aware of that.  I didn't take much thought to realize what and who this lizard dream represented. The image haunted me for weeks, and during that time I worked diligently on the sculpture I present to you now.  He's as close to a spitting image of the lover in my head as I could get.

Bruce by Eapa, on Flickr

This's probably the most complicated project I've worked on yet in my weekly ceramics class. Pinchpot-based head and body, tail created using coils, the body elevated with scrap clay while the legs stiffened enough to support the weight of the entire creation. After he was bisque fired, I dabbed him with black underglaze, washed it away, had him high-fired, and then wet brushed him with acrylic paint to get the mottled green look.

Bruce by Eapa, on Flickr

The name, Bruce, is taken from the man who (I'm pretty sure) inspired the lizard. Sort of. He's very special to me, just as this project is very special to me.

Bruce by Eapa, on Flickr

But, of course, not so special that any constructive criticism wouldn't be appreciated.  (Adoration would be fine, too  Wink He is a reptile, after all.)  Please let me know what you think.  And thank you for looking! It's nice to get some feedback from people who aren't necessarily my classmates, teacher, or friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 01:22:12 AM »

He's wonderful! I love his face - the expression, the eyes, the mouth. All the scaly detail is great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 10:40:06 AM »

He's just fab. Love his colour and his expression.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 04:00:57 PM »

So beautiful. I am definitely able to sense a magical feeling from all the details you've included in this piece. So vivid and thorough that it truly must have come from a dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
jamian
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011 09:48:40 AM »

This is really, really cool! I love how you put so much into expressing a dream Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlewrenpottery
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011 04:38:55 AM »

wow impressive I like the textures, reminds me of the komodo dragon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk Hand thrown stoneware pottery
Susie Apple

I'm the urban spaceman.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011 07:13:16 PM »

Well done. He's very realistic, while still being slightly cartoonish in the face, making him expressive. I think my favorite little part would have to be his talons...or claws? The coloring and body structure of animals can be really hard to achieve, but ya dit it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!

PM me to do a personal swap![/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slip Into Spring With These Must-Have Leather Jackets
Kirsten Dunst Is the First to Wear Proenza Schouler Fall 2013
From Target to H&M, Michelle Obama Is Wearing What We Wear
Street Chic: Smart and Casual Office Attire
4 Ways to Refresh Your Denim For Spring and Summer
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...