A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ren. Faire Cloak Idea ...  (Read 829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fascinated
« on: September 29, 2011 10:14:01 PM »

So ... our yearly Ren Faire is coming up in Nov-Dec, and this year will be the first year that I dress up. Super excited about that ... not so excited about freezing. I found a wonderful lady on etsy who made my costume .. but I am stumped as to how I should keep warm. I really can't spend 70+ dollars on a cloak and I don't care for the cheaper velvet-ish cloaks out there. While digging through my closet ... I had an idea. I have been on an up-cycling kick lately, from which NOTHING is safe... not even the helpless little snuggie hiding in the closet.  So ... my idea ... modify said snuggie into a cloak.

So my question is .... Do you think it would be too horribly hard for a beginner to modify it into a good looking cloak?

Any advice .. tips ... anything would be most welcome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:my pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/fascinated12/
I will do personal swaps. Cheesy
I have a few skeins of Caron Simply Soft I would love to supply swap with anyone for other types of yarn, I am finding the yarn a tad hard to work with.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 06:52:57 AM »

I don't think it would be too hard, I just don't know if you'd have the yardage to do a cloak that drapes well, unless you wanted it to be shorter, like waist or thigh length.  If you're cool with fleece, you could always go to the fabric store and get a few yards of anti-pill fleece when it's on sale.  You can make a super easy cloak by cutting out a half circle, with a smaller half circle for the neck (sort of like you would make a half circle skirt).  Darts at the shoulders for shaping are optional, and you can trace of a hood from an existing coat or sweatshirt.  VERY easy, and you don't even have to hem it, if it's fleece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
spaz2phreek
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 06:56:00 PM »

Have you considered scouring the thrift stores? Often you can find curtains and duvets in fabrics that would work well for a ren cloak. If it's not heavy enough to keep you warm, line it with something warm and cozy but that is a little more "accurate" than fleece. Maybe flannel or some such. Or, line it with fleece. It'll be much warmer and if it's on the inside, it's more subtle. If you have a great costume, you don't want a glaringly inaccurate fabric covering it up and distracting from it.

Here's some advice on making cloaks.
http://www.reddawn.net/costume/oldcloak.htm

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Fascinated
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011 07:48:15 PM »

Thanks Aislynn & spazz.

I think I am going to just make one. Our hobby lobby had one of their great .99 Pattern sales ... so I picked up http://www.simplicity.com/p-2620-misses-men-teen-costumes.aspx . I also scored this trim that is absolutely divine ... not historically accurate being as it's leopard print (but it's dark), but it's beautiful.   I will definitely try to find some curtains/duvet to make the outside, but Im looking into a softer fake fur for the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:my pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/fascinated12/
I will do personal swaps. Cheesy
I have a few skeins of Caron Simply Soft I would love to supply swap with anyone for other types of yarn, I am finding the yarn a tad hard to work with.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Authors Robin and Michael Mastro
Roz Chast Talks About Too Busy Marco
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
David Rabe Talks About Girl by the Road at Night
Will Bunch Reveals Who He Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...