A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tagline advice  (Read 1159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ranchelmarie
« on: September 29, 2011 04:08:43 PM »

I'm working on my crafty business and trying to revamp the banner for my website/etsy store/blog. My current banner looks like this:

I'm thinking of keeping everything except the tagline, but would take suggestions if anyone doesn't like the background, cotton bole, lettering or anything.

The tagline I was thinking of going with is:
     OrganicPatchwork.com (or leave off the .com?)
         Life's a Patchwork

Anyone like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011 04:28:40 PM »

i think the colour choices make it hard to read the tagline "making the world better one blankie at a time". i think the writing or the backround should be more bold, like a darker colour. you could try to do both and see which one you like best. Leaving the .com on there would let everyone know it is a website address for sure rather than just your business title. If you end up using it for business cards you wouldnt have to really change it at all, and people on your esty page would know you have another site to look at as well. i like the cotton bole but i honestly thought at first glance it was an odd tree on a hill, though knowing its a cotton bole i can clearly see thats what it is. (i think im just odd lol)  I also like your new tagline more than the one on the banner now.

i hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011 04:56:17 PM »

I just asked my daughter - she's a graphic designer, and her thoughts were to keep the patchwork around the cotton and make the rest of the banner one color - (we both thought a deep green might go well with the "organic" theme.)  She also thought maybe the patchwork colors could be changed.  If you google color palette generator you can find some pretty cool sites that will help choose your colors.  (Some of them will even let you type in a word (ie - "organic") and it will come up with colors for you!  Smiley  I'd love to see your final design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
ranchelmarie
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 06:40:30 AM »

How about these colors with the new tagline?

edit:
and how is this for a new banner?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011 12:48:39 PM by ranchelmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011 12:26:13 PM »

The patchwork background is way too busy for anything to go on top of it, plus because there are light colors and dark colors (the "stitching), meaning you could never pick a font or other image that will truly stand out since the light colors or the dark colors will absorb whatever is placed on top. Those are the fundamental problems with the whole ensemble. I would make the background less busy and more monotone, giving you a much more professional appearance. The cotton is an odd style of graphic and doesn't fit in with a lot of other styles, but if you turn it into more of an icon it works much better, I think.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011 12:38:49 PM »

I think craftychef is more on target.  I think you may have your heart set on some of those "sherbety" colors - which might not be the best for making a strong first impression.  I have nothing against the cotton image - it has kind of a "home spun" look to it which fits - but I was thinking the same thing - have it framed, not directly on top of the patchwork  Hope some of this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
ranchelmarie
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011 05:04:27 PM »

CraftyChef - that is amazing! I like the sherberty colors because those are the colors of most of the materials I work with, but I love the more monotone look of the all over purple, awesome! And I agree about the cotton, I like the graphic itself, but it didn't really fit right on top of the patchwork.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ranchelmarie
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011 07:36:15 AM »

craftychef- I've been trying to recreate that banner design, but apparently I'm not nearly creative enough, would you be willing to send me the design? I can't pay you, but I could make something for you - some washcloths or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Glow Effect in Photoshop
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop 2/2
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
how to Make a Picture Look Like A Painting in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...