A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick sort spilled beads?  (Read 1514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: August 02, 2011 05:56:46 PM »

Do you lovely crafters have any tips on how to quickly sort spilled beads? I'm helping a woman clean her home and craft things and one of the things she has asked me to do is organize her beads. She has lots of shelves and lots of containers for the beads. My problem is several years ago someone accidentally careened into her shelves of storage containers when they didn't have lids. All of her beads were mixed up after that and because she had so many beads it would have taken her weeks to get some order, so she just threw everything into Tupperware together. Now she's used a lot of the beads that were spilled, but it's gotten to the point that she can't continue making jewelry for a business because she's so frustrated with finding the right things. I'd like to help but because she has A LOT of beads I get a little overwhelmed when I try to start sorting. So I need some tips from you guys, from people who have actually experienced beads spilling and the ensuing frustration.

Most of her beads are medium sized, slightly smaller than a pony bead, and most are in the plastic jewelry organizers. I'm not really worried about those beads. I'm most concerned with the really mixed up beads that are in mixing bowls. Those are filled with seed beads, gemstones, crystals, all sorts of common beads. I don't even know how to start sorting those.

Please help so I don't start sorting and pull all my hair out in frustration. Thanks so much!

Edited to add :She doesn't really care about sorting the seed beads. She used to dump all the beads in a large hole colander and let the seed beads fall through. That will definitely help simplify things. However, because there are so many larger beads I need tips on sorting those so I don't end up only getting a few beads put away in an hour or so.

(Similar to the bead mess, but imagine an several extra large mixing bowls full.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011 06:10:59 PM by anafelix » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011 06:02:46 PM »

Here's how I'd do it.

Start with a shoe box lid.

Cut out several holes about the size of the smallest bead.

Sift them through like a prospector. Then set them aside.

Cut the holes progressively larger and keep on rolling.

Good luck!
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011 04:33:16 AM »

Gheghe, that is exactly what I was going to suggest, only with a plastic container (from icecream or salad or whatever) instead of a shoe box lid.
Good luck with sorting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011 09:46:26 AM »

LOL.  I was thinking the same thing too.  Except I was going to suggest fabric with different sized holes stretched over the bowl and then shake them out.  You could just use something poky to make the holes bigger.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 10:47:46 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011 09:24:35 AM »

Do you have any kids? Maybe they would like to help sort the beads with you if they are not too young.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anafelix
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011 11:41:35 AM »

These are great ideas and I'll probably just sift the beads through a large hole colander. Now I need ideas on what to do with the seed beads. I'm not going to sort all the colors out, so those will still be mixed up (which is okay with the woman I'm sorting them for). She's spilled her seed beads before and has several jars of them. I don't want to just stick another mixed jar on her shelf, so what should I make with them? They're all different colors, shades, and luster, so they look kind of terrible strung together (I tried that already).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011 02:20:33 PM »

You could cover..something... . with glue and stick the seed beads on to it.  There may even be a special glue just for that.  I seam to remember it was in fashion 10 or so years ago.  Maybe a small box or vase or a picture frame?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012 03:02:00 PM »

Does she use the seed beads as beads?  If so, does she use them random or by color spectrum?  In all seriousness, she might be better off making a donation and taking the tax deduction and buying the color spectrum over again as she needs them.  Or... find someone with OCD  (like me *sigh*) Smiley

If she uses them for beading but random color is okay, what she needs is a bead spinner.  That way they can stay in the little jars, and as she needs them, spin them onto the string. Then she can dump them back into the jar.

If she doesn't use them for beading, I second the idea of gluing them to things.  I have seen some gorgeous candle holders (glass balls coated in beads). Great light refraction! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

JewelrySupplies
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012 04:29:59 AM »

Get an image, photo, etc from a magazine. Mount it on a sturdy backer. Get a tube of glue and start pasting various color beads within the outlines of the image borders.

A bit of a time-waster - but therapeutic  Cheesy

Only feasible way to sort the colors is "human power". A less feasible method -- buy an optical reader that can be programed to detect and sort items by color.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 04:32:06 AM by JewelrySupplies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Your Body Acne May Not Be What You Think!
Fight Wrinkles With Just One Key Ingredient!
Best Pressed and Loose Face Powders
Do It Yourself: Where Can You Save Money?
The Beauty Secrets of Coconut Oil
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...