A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shadow box frames from store-bought canvases  (Read 2427 times)
Tags for this thread: wall_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 28, 2011 01:51:00 AM »

I was looking at some store-bought stretched canvases the other day and decided they would make great shadow box frames. I combined them with some paper and some things I was looking for fames for and ended up with some art for a blank space on my wall.

The three together:

1. Robot clown:

The artwork is an ATC ade by Wulf for the Steampunk Circus Swap. I was inspired by the colours in the piece and used matching scrapbooking papers to cover the frame then aged the piece with a graphite paint and PVA mix. The papers looked too new and the graphite picked out the tears in the paper.

2. Repo Inchies

The artwork here is a set of Repo! The Genetic Opera Inchies made by DeadbathDuckie in the Three Tiny Movie Things Swap. The frame is covered in red and black craft paper I stamped with a text stamp, black ink for the red paper and white ink for the black paper. The backing paper is a red and silver scrapbooking paper and an offcut of the black stamped paper.

3. Federal Department of Odds and Ends

This is an embroidery I did and loved based on the picture book The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan. I was inspired by the book itself which has a background of old, torn book pages. I used old dictionary pages which I aged further with brown acrylic paint.

The procedure was the same for all frames. First I removed the staples and canvas. Then I sanded the frames. The frames are quite rough and have holes and imperfections. If you plan on painting them I would suggest wood fller as there are large holes at the joins. These didn't worry me as I has already planned to cover them. After sanding I applied torn pieces of paper to the frames using PVA glue. I used big pieces first then smaller ones to fill in gaps and ad interest. You may need to cut the pieces slightly so they fit around corners. After the paper had dried I aged the frames with watered down paint. The final step was a coat of spray sealer. To mount the works I cut a piece of thin ceareal-box-weight card board the same size as the frame and stuck the work down with glue stick. The inchies and ATC were attached with glue dots so I could remove them without damage if I wanted to display them differently at a later date. I then used hot-glue to attach the artworks to the frames.

C+C welcome!

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011 02:25:49 AM »

Those are lovely frames and I like that you can change the artwork inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
ThePQ4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011 06:48:12 AM »

Those are super cool. I can't decide which is my favorite --although the ATC card reminds me a big of the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz, so...I might be leaning towards that one Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Correlating

YOU are a cheeseball! :D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 07:48:36 PM »

i love these! the embroidery is rad Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...puttin' things together...
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011 08:52:14 PM »

I like these. I like how you brought all the elements together, the colors and papers you used, the embroidery's fun, the canvas as shadowbox idea is clever-you always make the neatest stuff.
And I need to check out Shaun Tan now, I'm a sucker for unusual picture books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Coupon code CRAFTSTER for 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kerry Washington’s Cover Photo Shoot for Vanity Fair’s August 2013 Issue
3 Key Layering Tricks You Need This Fall
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Cait Barker
The Latest Leather and Patent Items from The Highstreet
Jeanius - Jorden Bickham on Denim
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...