A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux-granite countertop! Just a little paint and elbow grease!  (Read 8834 times)
Tags for this thread: faux_stone  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

try.fail.repeat
Driven by insomnia and DIY.

It is possible to jazzersize to Slayer.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011 09:41:01 PM »

Your countertops look AMAZING! I would love to do something like this in our kitchen as we have icky faux butcher block laminate. Although we don't have a ton of counter space, real granite or quartz countertops are just not a budget friendly option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P. US Army Pfc. Jason Cox 06.16.08
Ginnee
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011 11:01:56 PM »

Your counters look great.  I've been tempted to try this but am worried about the area around the sink.  It gets  wet  a lot on the counters I have now, even though I TRY to keep it dry. I'm not sure how that would affect a painted counter.  I have visions of bubbling paint and a real mess.  Has anyone had a problem like that? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieNation
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011 10:01:14 AM »

That's what I'm worried about too.  I have one spot to the left of my kitchen sink that seems to keep a plate-sized puddle of water no matter what I do.  I don't know why it does, but it is what it is and we can't afford new a new countertop yet. My countertop is currently a retro (haha!) yellowish-marble-looking-kind-of-thing, but in great shape so I'm hesitant to do anything to them right now.  However, the kitchen cabinets will soon get a major paint overhaul!  I LOVE the granite look though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyBlue
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011 01:48:49 PM »

Thanks! And as of right now, all of the cupboards are down and have had two coats of primer and one coat of paint (kitten white is the name ha ha).

In terms of water, the lady at Rona told me that it has been over a year without any signs of wear and tear on hers. Also, look around online and you'll see that it's a durable way of redoing your countertops Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
Clarachk
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011 10:58:06 AM »

This is just BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe that this only took twelve hours.... Am I correct in assuming that this time did not include drying time between paint and varnish coats? My honey and I are also DIY'ers and have been working hard to make our fixer-upper our home. I know just how much time and energy these projects take. I am very impressed with your countertops and may just have to send the Mister a linky link to this to show him JUST how awesome our gnarly counters could be. :O) Thanks for posting!!!! Amazing counters....

P.S. Were you able to find a varnish that is food safe? I don't cut on my counters without a cutting board anyway, but I think food safety would still be a factor. Also, I am wondering the best way to de-germ these painted tops. Fingers........Must.... Google........ Again, thanks for posting your super work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
FoxyBlue
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011 09:49:45 AM »

@Clarachk - such a great, valid question about whether it is safe for food prep. I had done some googling and apparently once it's fully cured, it is perfectly safe on countertops. http://www.ehow.com/info_12158216_can-use-polyurethane-kitchen-counter.html I will still, of course, only cut on cutting boards, but it's nice to know that it's safe Smiley

Oh and the 12 hours (quite possibly less) was without dry time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011 09:50:40 AM by FoxyBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hide Grey Hairs Between Salon Appointments
Big Hair and Beauty Trends
Feather Hair Extensions and Accessories
Options For Preventing Hair Loss
Beauty Stopwatch: Haircare
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...