I had some black print knit fabric and used it to make a simple top with short dolman sleeves. There was enough left over to make a very simple straight skirt but I felt it would be too much on its own and needed a plain fabric to complement it. Also I have always wanted a spiral skirt but
a) they use such a lot of material and
b) I hate trying to sew inside curves to outside ones to get a flat curve.
(I have been on Craftster long enough to know that I must always take pictures as I go along - partly so I can do it again and also so if it works out I can explain how it was done. So here goes
I have a pattern for an 8 panel skirt and I used it to create two types of panel.
I folded each pattern piece in quarters from hem to the edge of the elastic casing of the waistband. Then on one piece I drew a diagonal line from the halfway mark on one edge to the bottom quarter mark on the other edge. The other pattern piece I drew diagonal lines from the top quarter to the halfway line and from the bottom quarter line to the hem. All the lines slope the same way.
This gave me one two-patch panel and one three-patch panel. I added seam allowances and labelled the paper pieces before cutting them out so I would know which panel they belonged to and where they went on each panel and which way up.
Then I cut out each piece twice from both fabrics so I had two in the plain and two in the patterned of each piece. It is important that all the pieces face the same way in order to make the spiral, so you can't fold the fabric in half to do it - as that would give a mirror image which you don't want.
I also labelled each piece of fabric before I took off the paper pattern so as not to get them muddled up.
Then I assembled the pieces alternating the two fabrics so I ended up with four types of panel. The picture explains it better than I can.
Joined the panels together in pairs and then joined the pairs together until I had my skirt.
The waist is just elasticated and I folded under a narrow allowance and did a lettuce edge for the hem.
The obligatory twirly photos.
Now that I have seen how it works out I will probably try it again with more contrasting colours. I might also try reducing the panel size and making it a 12 or 16 panel skirt.