A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,504
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upcycled: Bulk sized aluminum cans into....pendant lamps???  (Read 4216 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2011 05:40:39 PM »

Yep. 
I live in an apartment with absolutely no overhead lighting or ceiling fan in the living room.  I have a light switch connected to an outlet that you can plug a lamp into, but it's on the wrong side of the room!  Naturally.  And I hate floor lamps.  And table lamps.  They take up space.  So I decided I wanted pendant lamps but of course, couldn't find anything I liked.  I decided to get the pendant light kits from Ikea and the plug in dimmer switches (I love dimmer switches!) and decided SOMETHING would come to me. 
Then I saw this:  http://www.shelterness.com/diy-pendant-lights-of-tin-cans/
And this: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/03/how-to_punched_can_luminary.html

I knew I needed to do something more along the lines of the punched tin look, because I needed as much light from them as possible.  I'm not really into the modern aesthetic, and I wanted them to go with my sugar skull bull rider painting.  I went to home depot and had them cut me a chunk off a 2x6 that barely fit into the can.  I printed the images I liked, taped the paper to the cans, and started hammering!  I kept rotating the block of wood and hammering each section at a time.  I have a feeling this was probably easier than the ice method used on craftzine.

Then I found this package of two stainless rings at home depot that I guessed would catch the lip of the lightbulb socket.  I punched 3 holes, not too close to the top, so you can just barely see the top of the socket.  Then I secured 3 lengths of picture hanging wire around the circles, and tightened them through the holes in the can.  This part would have been much easier with an extra pair of hands!  I estimated, and it was good enough for me!

I bleed for my art!

The first can I only did 2 images on, then realized I could easily fit 3 on the second one.  They are a Texas (born and raised!), a "B" (my first and last initial), a sugar skull, classic Dutch tulip motif, and a weeping willow tree:

After they were all finished, I simply screwed a hook in the ceiling and hung them.  I tacked the cords along the ceiling and walls, and then used 3M wall mount tape to mount the dimmer switches on the walls.

Even though my hands were killing me, I absolutely love them!  I even have a friend who went to design school ask if I would make her some!  The thing I like most about them is they'll be so easy to take down when I'm sick of them.  Then I just have to figure out what kind of "shade" to make next!

C&C welcome.  Thanks so much for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MailIsMyReligion
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011 06:36:44 PM »

I love the texas one. Smiley It totally rocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nahna
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011 06:09:05 AM »

sweet! wish a know about this a couple of years ago when I first moved to an empty house with not a single ceiling lamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I wonder, if you've ever wondered the same...
binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011 09:33:25 AM »

thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bentindahead

Is ordinary... with a little extra.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011 10:03:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing! I am trying to figure out how to...  I need wall light sconces, but without having to do rewiring etc. I've been thinking about how to modify my cheapy floor lamps (which I've already done a bad repaint on) to make them be the sconces, so as to not have to deal with wiring. So, your post is inspiring, as well as helping me to think "outside" my already outside box! Smiley Now to figure out how. . . .

As a side note, the tin can & ice deal I read about in the book Vinegar, Duct Tape, and More (or something along those lines) and using them as pathway lights; so I love your take on raising them off the ground!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please don't clean up my mess; you'll confuse me and screw up my world!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Does American Design Compare European
Why Hire a Landscape Architect
How to Avoid the Worst Design Mistakes
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...