A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle Envelope - Now with Tutorial!!  (Read 3889 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JHall
« on: September 27, 2011 12:35:42 PM »

Hello!! This is a little holder I made for my hand sewing needles because the paper envelope thing they came in was all ripped up:

The fabric and bias tape are from Joann.  i used felt for the actual needle holding part. I used a Singer Snap Fastener kit to put the snaps in.

My blog post on the holder: http://jordannhall.blogspot.com/2011/09/hand-needle-holder.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011 01:27:03 PM by JHall » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooed_lady
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011 01:16:27 PM »

very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011 06:13:41 PM »

Neat idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
beeshebags
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011 03:43:58 AM »

You did a great job of it....no tatty paper holder for you anymore.  Love the fabric you used...got a bit of a soft spot for paisley fabric...lol

Hugs
Naomi
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011 03:46:49 AM by beeshebags - Reason: Forgot to say something! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JHall
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011 12:53:47 PM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley

Naomi, I LOVE paisley, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011 01:31:54 PM »

Great needle holder. I love the aqua & brown paisley together so pretty.  Cheesy Very nice. Your own pattern?  Well done!!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap RD 3"
"Fall Character Ninni Swap"
'Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
JHall
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011 11:33:51 PM »

Sharalee - Yes, my own pattern, it's basically a 7x4.5 (inches) rectangle with rounded corners. I used sew in interfacing for a little extra support. Bias tape for the edging. Stitched in the felt rectangle last. They were really easy to throw together. My only real challenge was using the snap fastener kit. I was really terrible at getting the snaps in correctly. haha
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011 12:59:38 PM by JHall » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeshebags
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 01:57:26 AM »

My only real challenge was using the snap fastener kit. I was really terrible at getting the snaps in correctly. haha

I would suggest making yourself up a 'jig' that's what I've done with items I make often, like tea wallets....make a piece of cardboard the same size as your fabric, then mark where you want the snap to go.

Make a hole in the cardboard at that position, and use that as a template (jig) so that all the snaps are in the same position.

I used to use a small wooden chopping board to do my snaps on.  Patience and not rushing helps.  Push the pronged bit through whichever way it has to go, with any marking in the centre of the hole.  Put the corresponding piece on and use one of the tools to gently hammer them together. 

A couple of pointers I found out the hard way were:
1. The tool like the one you have aren't easy to use, I have a round metal one with a small lug out one flat side of it....they're so much easier to use.
2. Use extra interfacing in the snap area section for stability so it doesn't pull out of the fabric.
3. Find yourself an old drill bit or something similar in size to the hole in the female half of the snap....when you're done inserting it, push the drill bit into the hole and gently hammer it in a little way, pull it out, rotate the snap (and fabric) slightly and repeat...this opens the hole a bit and also helps it pull out.  If you use too big a bit it will make the hole too big, so it's a case of trial and error.
4. If you're using fancy snaps that have pretty or metal raised tops on the outer side, then put a towel over the chopping board or hard surface, to protect the gem/metal finish.

Good Luck, and if you need any further instructions, let me know and I'll try and help.

Hugs
Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011 08:02:36 AM »

Sharalee - Yes, my own pattern, it's basically a 7x3 (inches) rectangle with rounded corners. I used sew in interfacing for a little extra support. Bias tape for the edging. Stitched in the felt rectangle last. They were really easy to throw together. My only real challenge was using the snap fastener kit. I was really terrible at getting the snaps in correctly. haha

Hi JHall, Thanks for telling me your basic pattern, sounds pretty simple, I'll have to try it. What I use is the old snap fastener, It looks like a big bolt sort of & it covers the snap, & comes with some snaps, I use a hammer too & be sure to put a board  under it or go outside on the concrete & hammer it & also put a towel or something soft on top of the board & under the material & put extra fabric or interfacing there for strength too. You did a great pattern!!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap RD 3"
"Fall Character Ninni Swap"
'Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
JHall
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011 11:01:46 AM »

Wow thanks to both of you for those tips. I will definitely be referencing them next time I work with snap fasteners haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Frizz-Busting Products to Get You Through Summer
Teresa Giudice Explains Milania Hair Care
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Classic Updo
How To Do Vintage Hollywood Hair
Get Next-Level Sexy Hair With This Do-It-All Ingredient
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...