A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress Shirt Tote Bag -- With Tutorial!  (Read 1812 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2011 11:31:44 PM »

I had crafts on my mind as soon as my husband told me he was getting rid of his old dress shirts and ties -- I just hand't figured out what to make.

After much thought, I decided to make a lined tote bag out of one of his shirts and to use a neck tie as the handles. It was my husband's idea to add the tie to the front. I just love how he gave me a tie clip too!

Materials:
One large button-up dress shirt
Lining fabric (about 1/2 yard)
One neck tie
Stiff iron-on interfacing

Directions:
Sew a seam along the buttons so that you can no longer button and unbutton the shirt. There should be seam already there for you to follow.
Measure two 15x16-inch squares of the lining fabric. Do the same on the dress shirt, but make sure the buttons are centered at 7.5 inches. The shirt pocket may need to be sacrificed a little bit.

Cut the interfacing a little bit smaller than the body of the bag and iron it to the wrong sides of the exterior fabric.
Turn down the top edge of all the bag parts by one inch.

Sew the edges and bottom of the exterior fabric, right sides together. Do the same for the lining.
Iron open the seams. Turn exterior fabric right side out and slip the lining inside it (keeping it inside out)

Pin the top edges together, making sure the lining doesn't poke out above the exterior.
Now you'll need to figure out how long you'll want your necktie straps. Add an inch to each side of the strap once you know how long you prefer it. Cut the tie into to equal lengths. One strap will probably be wider than the other because the tie is tapered, but I think it's cool that way!
I measured two inches out from the center buttons and pinned my first strap in place, nestling the raw strap edge between the lining and exterior fabrics. I eyeballed the second strap based on the placement of my first.
Make sure the straps are equal lengths by holding the bag the way you normally would. Make adjustments if necessary.

If you'd like to add the tie to the front, measure how long you'd want it to lay and add 1.5 inches. Set the raw edge between the lining and exterior fabrics and pin in place so that it sticks up and away from the bottons. You'll be sewing a seam and the tie will flop over, hiding the seam.

Sew all around the edge of your bag, leaving a one-inch seam allowance. Sew another seam all the way around, but very close to the edge.
Voila!

If you'd like more photos or would like to know how to give your tote a flat bottom, visit my blog posting at http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2011/09/i-just-nearly-had-heart-attack.html (I'm not sure why Blogger decided to label the link the way it did, but it will take you to the tutorial).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogspot.com
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011 03:53:44 AM »

I love the idea behind it and the execution is excellent too. It's just so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Jillinamillion
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011 02:46:06 PM »

Just Brilliant! I love this idea! Great use of those old shirts and ties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saratera
no- i said stick it in your BUTTONhole!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011 05:29:22 PM »

really cute bag, i may have to make one now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mastering the Classic Red Lip with DJ Chelsea Leyland
Your Winter Moisturizing Routine From Head to Toe
How To Do a Glam Foundation Routine
Best Perfumes To Wear for Fall
Contouring Tips with Michelle Phan
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...